Menu

Challenging high school math courses?

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/hs/home/home/index.htm Excellent options , free and heck it's MIT... I am the parent of a very skilled mathematics student . I , on the other hand, enjoy philosophy and law with post grad degrees in both. I do not "do " math or symbolic logic. Thank heavens for the open courses at MIT and Johns Hopkins http://ocw.jhsph.edu/ to help keep dd on her toes. Here are some physics courses through Yale as well http://oyc.yale.edu/physics. Let your student enjoy the sciences as they all use higher math and they require synthetic thinking skills. This is a use of the computer in education that I can become enthused about. Hope these will work in some fashion .

Why are you switching out of Singapore? My answer might be different based on your reasons ... ?

FWIW, my math-lover completed NEM 1-3, along with the corresponding Life of Fred, and is using a combination of LOF and Singapore NAM for Advanced Algebra this coming year. If he finishes "early," I'll send him into Trig topics with the same curriculum.

Karen

Why are you switching out of Singapore? My answer might be different based on your reasons ... ?

FWIW, my math-lover completed NEM 1-3, along with the corresponding Life of Fred, and is using a combination of LOF and Singapore NAM for Advanced Algebra this coming year. If he finishes "early," I'll send him into Trig topics with the same curriculum.

Karen

Can you tell me more about how you combined these programs? I think that this is the route we will take. How do you like the combo?

Can you tell me more about how you combined these programs? I think that this is the route we will take. How do you like the combo?

My son doesn't care so much for NEM because "it's boring," but he loves LOF so much, he reads it in bed ... so he goes along with the program LOL. As for me, I think the combo is as close to ideal as I've found. LOF is fun and engaging and covers the material rigorously (the geometry book is uber-proof-intensive). Where it's weak is in practice -- which is where NEM compensates. Lots of problems to choose from in NEM -- we also use the workbooks, which are not strictly required. NEM also takes a slightly different slant on problem-solving, which I really like -- having a topic explained in two different ways sometimes helps ds "get it" a little better. Also, NEM is strong in word problem-solving, as all Singapore materials are -- and that is important to me.

Basically what I do is splice the two curricula by topic & chapter. I use LOF for the spine and splice in the appropriate chapters of NEM (or now, NAM), either right before or right after the LOF chapters.

For Algebra, we started with NEM -- the first few chapters of that are really pre-algebra. Once through that part, begin the splicing sequence. At some point, you leave NEM 1 and go into NEM 2, and eventually NEM 3 for a couple of chapters (I think).

I'm sorry I don't have a schedule for what we did. I deleted it from my Homeschool Tracker about a week before someone first asked me for it. But I only went down to the chapter level in the splicing, so it wasn't so hard to plan the sequence.

NEM and NAM have geometry studies in the same books. We chose to follow the American sequence, as LOF does, so we just ignored the geometry chapters during the algebra year.

This worked great for us. We repeated the approach for Geometry, also using LOF Geometry and the same NEM books.

The boy sure knows his algebra and geometry after all this!

Hope this helps,

Karen

Basically what I do is splice the two curricula by topic & chapter. I use LOF for the spine and splice in the appropriate chapters of NEM (or now, NAM), either right before or right after the LOF chapters.

Was it easy to determine which NEM chapter belonged to what LOF chapter?

Was it easy to determine which NEM chapter belonged to what LOF chapter?

I think so. I just used the table of contents :)

Once I had the chapter sequence, then I went in at the lesson plan level, which was painful only because it is so tedious. I like to be pretty specific about that, otherwise I lose track, even if ds says he doesn't LOL.

The different authors organize the material differently, so you might be pairing up Ch. 4 in one curr. and Ch. 9+10 in the other curr. (totally made-up illustration). So whichever you choose for the spine, just plow right through that in order, and in the other curr., you will be doing some jumping around. But all the same major concept topics will be in there.

Hope this helps,

Karen

I have a child interested in medicine. We have never used NEM so I can't comment about that. Here is what we have used so far and what we plan on using in the future for this child.

6-7th grade: Foerster's Algebra I and Number Theory class from Art of Problem Solving - completed

8th grade : Jurgensen and Brown's Geometry - working on currently

9th Grade: Foerster's Algebra II and Trig. and Introduction to Counting and Probability through Art of Problem Solving

10th grade: Foerster's Precalculus through Scholars Online

11th grade: Calculus

12th : AP Statistics

HTH!

Edited by Nissi

My eldest has been using a 1965 Dolciani and has done some of Gelfand's Algebra (we've kind of slacked off on the second one lately).

My second one is going to do Life of Fred Algebra, and I'm going to do it for a fun review since I'm very rusty on Algebra as I graduated from hs in the late 1970s. I was going to do NEM, and just might go back to it, but I've been thinking of doing Japanese Math 7 instead, since I'm planning to have her do the Dolciani Algebra 1 after NEM. She's 11 and doing Russian Math 6 and CSMP at the moment, but will be starting LoF Algebra before she's 12.