Menu

Scat test disappointment

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this board. I posted some questions a while ago regarding cty and epgy. Anyway, DS8 took the scat last Saturday. Despite all the prep I gave him, he came out of verbal after 12 minutes. I asked why he came out so early and he said, "I only had 9 some minutes left, whew!!!"

He was racing the clock!! For some reason, he was scared something's going to happen when time's up, so he had to race against the clock. Needless to say, he didn't really read through each question but he just clicked through them.

I was so mad! I told him he shouldn't have done that and he did take his time during the math section. Either way, I'm not looking forward to receive the result and I'm thinking of retesting. Anybody here had the experience of retesting? Do you think the questions get more difficult when you retest? Does CTY accept retest scores? Do I have to register again?

Thank you for your time and help!

Mic

:iagree: I would wait to see the results. The first time my oldest took the SCAT, I hadn't given him any prep and it was his first test ever. He was 7yo at the time. He went in the room and came out so quickly that I thought there was no way he had "taken" the test but when his results came back, he had qualified.

My daughter took the SCAT at about that age, finished in waaaay under the time allowed and did very, very well. I don't know anything about retesting, though I don't know of anything that prohibits a retest, but he may do better than you expect.

Terri

I know my son is not the quick responding type. And he hates to work under pressure. So I think this is a good experience for him. I haven't gotten the results yet but I did apply for a retest at the end of the month.

Right now I'm putting him on the EPGY courses and I'm so frustrated because I couldn't get the virtual classroom software to work!!! Anybody had the same problem?

Thanks again!

please let us know how he did. My ds7.11 took the SCAT last month

We haven't received the result yet. How did you son do, if you don't mind me asking.

I'll update here when I get the score.

Just wondering, I have already scheduled a retest, before I received the score. Would they still send me the score from the first test?

An update and very very puzzled!!

Like I posted before, my son took scat on May 23rd and I haven't received any score report. Then, today, I received a letter from CTY, giving me the login ID and password to My CTY. I didn't think much about it because I applied for the retest so I thought that's what's about.

Just out of curiosity, I just logged on and looked and found, it seemed, my son's score was posted on the web!

Verb-Raw Verb-Scaled Verb-Percentile

42 445 92

Quant-Raw Quant-Scaled Quant-Percentile

42 458 97

Aren't they supposed to mail me the score and the catalogue if he qualified? I'm very puzzled. Are these really his scores? But his name is certainly on the page. :-)

Did they change their system? Anybody tested recently?

Now I'm relieved he qualified for the program, I'm worried because I have applied for retesting. Does that void his current scores? My husband said I'm crazy but I'm definitely calling them tomorrow to find out. Thanks so much for "listening" to my mumbles!

Mic

You somehow got the email before the test results. I bet you'll get them in the mail today. Great scores! What grade is he chronologically in?

-cc

Hi CC,

My son was in second grade when he tested, here's what's on the form:

Grade Test Form Test Norm

02 eX2 4S

Do you know what that mean?

I have already put him on EPGY for the summer. Now I'm thinking maybe switching to CTY. What's your opinion on the two?

Thanks and have a nice day!

Mic

Great! See? I told you you should have waited! :lol: Hope you get it all figured out!

ETA: Ooops, I was on page 1 of the posts when I wrote mine! Didn't mean to repeat!

Thanks Brindee! We did receive the score report few days after. So we're happy no need to retest!! :hurray:

DS is on EPGY now. It seemed for Accelerated Math, CTY and EPGY have the same software, and we missed the deadline for everything else!

• 1 year later...

Just found my old post and figure I would post a follow-up.

DS took SCAT again this year, just for practicing and see where he's at compared to last year. Here's the data:

Last year (2nd grade)

42 445 92

42 458 97

This year (3rd grade)

42 451 90

47 466 96

Interesting how he answered the same numbers of questions in verbal and has a higher scaled score but dropped 2 percentile, and answered five more questions in math, has higher scaled score and dropped one percentile. Well, not as good as last year, but I guess it's still ok. Still deserve a pat in the back! :001_smile::001_smile:

By the way, anybody knows anything about ERB's CTP-4 test? My son's school will test him in the fall and I'm nervous as I can't find any info about what type of questions they offer.

Thanks!!!

Mic

Well, he's consistent! Those are excellent scores especially considering the kinds of kids who take the test. My son took the SCAT as a second grader last year too and I decided to skip it this year. Looking at the explore for 4th grade.

Hahaha! Then the title of this message must be very puzzling to you! :lol:

I'd never heard of a scat test before.

Since I live out in the woods where scat is deposited by deer, rabbits and bears, I had whole different take on this thread. :D

Hi Elisa, I thought of skipping too, but my friend's son took it a second time so ..... you know, peer pressure! :)

Actually take it every other grade seems like a really good idea! :thumbup1:

Mic

Well, he's consistent! Those are excellent scores especially considering the kinds of kids who take the test. My son took the SCAT as a second grader last year too and I decided to skip it this year. Looking at the explore for 4th grade.

I think it's great that your son qualified! I have to honestly say that I cringed, though, when I read about yelling at him after the test and immediately signing up to retest before the numbers even came in. It sounds like something I'd be tempted to do, too, but I'm quickly realizing how easy it is to get too overwhelmed by numbers and statistics.

I'm starting to read about parents who are retesting and freaking out about scores to get their kids into Young Scholars. I guess my opinion is that if our kids get accepted into a program, it's because they really need it. If they don't, they'll never know anyhow and won't be missing anything that is crucial to their lives. I keep reminding myself not to become.....what do they call those beauty pageant moms?? LOL!!! (I"m really kidding!)

I think it's great that your son qualified! I have to honestly say that I cringed, though, when I read about yelling at him after the test and immediately signing up to retest before the numbers even came in. It sounds like something I'd be tempted to do, too, but I'm quickly realizing how easy it is to get too overwhelmed by numbers and statistics.

I keep reminding myself not to become.....what do they call those beauty pageant moms?? LOL!!! (I"m really kidding!)

I totally agreed with you! I felt terrible every time after I got mad at him in situations like this. (I didn't exactly "yelled" at him but I felt like I did because I felt so guilty about it.) And I guess every kid is different. Some are really studious and don't need any intervention from the parents. When DS was little, I could just reason with him and he would listen. But now his focus has shifted, if you give him a choice, he would spend all his time on his games and tv. I know he has the potential to learn and it's hard for me to just let him waste his time. If you don't progress, you regress. I am just hoping one day he will realize I won't be there pushing him every step of his way and he needs to get motivated himself.