Menu

Need resource for ASL cards that can be....

BearLair

posted around the house. Regular household items primarily. Could do this myself with copier/laminator/etc. but looking to take the easy way out on this - we've so many other projects going right now.

Any good place to purchase pre-made cards?

Thanks!

BearLair

There's some on Amazon. I don't know how much use they are, if they have the vocab you want. I'm not sure how much use they'd be for the kids, since you have to know the sign in order to read the pics, really. This sort of stuff is close to useless in teaching, in my experience, and only good for reminding you of that sign that was on the tip of your tongue, or the tip of your fingers I guess ;) I've usually found writing out the phonemes of the sign to be more helpful than a picture.

Rosie

Are there any ASL cards that show the phonemes?

I know there are a lot of texts that include that information (such as the ones we use to study ASL vocabulary) but I've never looked for 'flash cards' displaying the same thing.

I'm really only interested in cards that display that information.

An ideas where to look? I really do not have the energy to undertake one more 'do it yourself' project right now!:willy_nilly:

BearLair

Probably not. "Use this handshape for your dominant hand and this handshape for your submissive hand then start here and move down sort of towards there in a wobbly kind of way" sounds like double dutch unless you've written it yourself. Then may well still seem like double dutch. The number of "Hmm, I wonder what that meant" scribblings through my Auslan books are testiment to this! If your kids are old enough to do that themselves, you could have them make their own to stick around the place. Otherwise there are probably better ways of teaching/reviewing.

Any flashcards would have the handshape on them, but the location and especially movement are harder to show. The problem with a moving language, I guess. Flash cards are not a traditional way of teaching signs. The stuff on amazon isn't any use to you, I suppose? My internet is too slow at the moment for me to look more deeply for you, I'm sorry.

Rosie