Menu

If you had $3000 to equip a schoolroom for a 6 yo girl, wwyd?

Honestly? I haven't read all the posts, but here are my first thoughts:

1. Save the money for future education costs.

2. Buy lots of pencils and wide-ruled notebook paper.

3. Make sure you have only a few curriculum items you need to give her a solid foundation. Include engaging literature.

4. Get in lots of outside time.

5. Get read-alouds out of the library or on paperback book swap.

6. Incorporate day trips into your school plans.

Sorry to be a wet rag, but $3000, invested conservatively, will double in seven years. That means in 14 or so years, you might have $12,000.

Oh that's no fun!:tongue_smilie:

I'll just tell you what we have done. First of all, I have an office instead of a school room. I have:

bookshelves

a desk

a reading chair

two heavy duty plastic tables with stools that slide underneath

a computer chair

a computer and copier/printer.

The plastic tables are very practical because the kids can spread out their school work, they can use them for crafts or activties, and they are washable. This gives everyone plenty of room to work. Educational materials are stored in the books shelves. Reading is done in the reading chair or the kids spread out on the floor. I usually sit at my desk. We have used the set up for quite awhile and it works very well and we have not outgrown it.

I'd plumb in a science center. A chemical resistant island with hot and cold running water in a sink, electricity, and a gas jet for later science experiments. I'd put an high powered extracter fan/hood over the island. I'd use the island as an art spot for now and later as great place for all the simple science eperiments that happen thru high school. I'd put down a the toughest flooring I could afford. I'd also pay attention to lighting. A

I'd plumb in a science center too. Tough flooring and floor to ceiling bookshelves (the kind we have now in some rooms...they go staight across from one side to the other without stopping (in otherwords...just one shelf) and are deeper than regular bookshelves so I can put supplies on them too.

I honestly wouldn't spend much money on a school room. It's just not needed, ime. We actually got rid of our school room altogether (made it into a much-needed dining room instead), and haven't missed it a bit. School got done just as effectively at the kitchen table, in the bedrooms, and on the couch. I'd take the $3000 and make other enjoyable, needed additions to the rest of the home, or take some really great, memorable trips with it.

I think a lot of people are like us and don't really need a schoolroom.

However we spend the majority of our day in the schoolroom, so I want it to be one of the most inviting spots in the house, and have it be able to be used for years. We're also the kind of people that eat in the living room because we made our dining room into a library.:D

I'd save it for HS. You'll need it for Science equipment or college classes, IMHO.

Forget the glitz. I have a nice school room and the kid hangs out on the family room couch, instead. Books are all over the house, etc.

The school room has ended up a storage room, basically. She couldn't care less about it.

But then, when you think about it....why mimick a school classroom, anyway? Why in the world are we homeschooling for if it ends up not feelling like home?

Kim

Purely hypothetical, of course :D

Already has a white board ("large") and a "world rug" for the floor. Located in the basement (I think it's a walk-out).

Purely hypothetical, of course :D

Already has a white board ("large") and a "world rug" for the floor. Located in the basement (I think it's a walk-out).

I would start with a school table that is solid,sturdy,unmoveable. I would then add Microscope &Telescope. I would then add to that all the books that I would love to have in our permanent library and not feel like I have to sell even one of them to make money for the next year. I would focus on Yesterdays classics but possibly in a better binding and the full collection of the Lamplighter books. I would move on from there to......Well, the list could go on for ever and the cost would probably be way over $3000 just for the books without a hitch.

If your Hypothetical changes to reality have fun!

• 2 months later...

My shopping carts on Amazon, Yesterday's Classics, and Christian Book Distributors reflect the idea I **think** I have this much money!! LOL I love the idea of the science island -- that would be extreme and amazing! I would actually have to build a room first (so there you go, give me $3000 and I want $20K). :tongue_smilie:

I didn't read ALL the replies, but I would buy a quality color laser copier printer, with a flatbed top so I could copy things (legally, of course!) AND print beautiful pictures off of the web. And stock in an ink cartridge company :D

* microscope

* science kits/supplies for the next few years

* some nice comfy chairs and a table

* bookcases

* Books -- but not too much, you never know what you're going to need

* museum passes? :D

* Globe

* Maybe wall charts of the alphabet, world map, something like that?

* white board

* art supplies -- nice ones!

* Nice color printer

But only if I had to spend it. I'd be likely to just buy the minimum of what I need and save the rest for when I know what curricula she needs next year and the year after, etc..

Sorry to be a wet rag, but $3000, invested conservatively, will double in seven years. That means in 14 or so years, you might have $12,000.

In my experience, theoretical money does not do that. It needs to be spent now before it loses value, or your brain moves on to another "what if" scenario. :D