Menu

If you had $3000 to equip a schoolroom for a 6 yo girl, wwyd?

I would probably wet myself with excitement. :001_huh:

More than you wanted to know?

Yeah, that! :lol: Then I would pick my jaw up off the floor and fall into fits of hysterical giggles (heavens, I'm doing that now!)

Bookcases, curriculum, cool rug, cool maps, a precious stones globe, a planetarium, loads of hands on manipulatives and legos....this list could just keep growing...it's like you just landed in a candy store and you're 6yrs old again!

I am potentially in this situation. If things go according to plan I will be receiving several thousand $$ in early fall. I am putting some aside towards our 3 month orad trip planned for May 2011, But the rest is going towards school. I get most of my curric paid for already with my annual funding, BUT there is many places I want to order from that I can not do purchase orders for that I am using this new money to order. My plans include a HUGE order from acorn naturalists, and homescience tools and rainbow resource. I am including those kits for crafts, robotics and such that I can not normally afford. I am doing a stock up on paper and craft supplies including those items I can not normally afford like supplies for linoleum printing and tile mosaics. ANd of course new bookshelves and possibly either a couple trapezoidal tables or a horseshoe table to add to our room. Of course how much exactly is based on how much I actually receive, if my calculations are correct I will have more than enough to do this all with even after I pay off my smallest student loan.

Oh fun! I agree with the others about not spending too much - make it fun and easily expandable - lots of bookshelves, and pull-down maps (I really want these - and they'll last through high school) for starters. I don't know that I'd invest in a telescope or microscope at this point. Technology changes so fast, by the time she's in middle school or high school, she'll need to invest in something new. Maybe a nice magnifying glass at this age.

A nice couch so you can cozy up with reading. DVD player/TV for educational videos. Lots of pillows.

That's all I can think of now. Really, I'd push them not to spend so much this young!

ANd of course new bookshelves and possibly either a couple trapezoidal tables or a horseshoe table to add to our room. /QUOTE]

I have trapezoid tables that i picked up at a school closing sale. I really love them. I've seen the teacher at speech use the horseshoe one and i don't think i'd like it near as much - having one BIG table instead of 2 smaller ones. I can have them at different heights this way too.

I paid about NOTHING for them.... i deal with them being yellow on the top! LOL!! (think $10 each - i have 3).

An inexpensive laptop (they get old so fast that for school purposes a nice one is overkill), printer, art supplies galore, and BOOKS, BOOKS, and more BOOKS. All the fun curriculum I want but can't afford, rather than the very good but boring curriculum we can afford. (Read: Right Start w/ all the bells and whistles rather than CLE. lol) Nice shelving, desks, & chairs.

I'm still nodding in agreement with the 'wet myself' comment here...

Ummm...

Microscope. Binocular. Really cool, with the fine adjustment knobs.

Uh...could I just put it as a down payment on a house that would house the school room? :Angel_anim:

ETA: Sorry, wasn't thinking 6 yo girl, but of Diva.

OK, if I really were going to do this I'd have

computer for child

maybe computer for mom

microscope

some nice lab equipment --when my ds was this age he wanted his science to use real equipment

a good work table

well stocked art supplies

a comfy couch

tv/dvd

shelving of course

cabinets for the science lab materials and art materials

Plumbing build out with sink-- for the labs and art

And lots of books

colorful paint

tile floors

bookshelves

table/desk area

---personally, I would love a map mural---

your pick of encyclopedias (Kingfisher/Usborne: science, history, music, art) -these will be priceless through the years

Large white erase area

Aquarium tanks, one with fish and one for animal observation (say a frog that she got outside)

A comfy loveseat for reading or other type of furniture

Art supplies (easel?)

Organizing stuff

I would make it colorful and fun. I'm assuming you already have a computer- you are here. Lol.

I'd plumb in a science center. A chemical resistant island with hot and cold running water in a sink, electricity, and a gas jet for later science experiments. I'd put an high powered extracter fan/hood over the island. I'd use the island as an art spot for now and later as great place for all the simple science eperiments that happen thru high school. I'd put down a the toughest flooring I could afford. I'd also pay attention to lighting. And I'd invest in counter height book shelves with doors on them. I'd have a work table and some good office type chairs. I'd invest in a black board rather than a grease board and put up several cork bulletin boards. I'd paint the walls with a satin finish paint for easy clean up. If the basement is a walkout. I'd invest in a patio and patio furniture with an umbrella for school outdoors. If I had anything left I'd buy a small patio green house.

I'd buy...

a really nice globe

have a map or mural of the world put on the wall

computer

art supplies

books, books, books

have a climbing wall built in

science study area

save some for a travel

bookcases

private music lessons

a nice table for schooling and comfy chairs

that's how I'd equip a classroom. In reality I'd probably blow it on a family trip to Ireland.

I would continue to make do with what I had and plan a trip to Disney World.

:lol: This was my thought too. But then I came up with a couple of things I would just LOVE to buy if I had the money.....

A really good multifunction colour laser printer. It would pay for itself many times over but ouch! The intial cost is large.

A microscope. Again it would be sooo useful but the intial price, ouch!

And lastly, I'd love to spend a couple of hundred on really good maths manipulatives for Miss M, weighted counting bears, a balance scale, some geometry bits and pieces too.

Big stuff: Bookshelves (as many as possible), couch for snuggly read-alouds, a laptop computer with wireless internet, good lighting, a child sized desk and chair, a second table and chairs for projects, a small white board to use at the desk, globe, some basic science equipment

Little things: math manipulatives (base 10 blocks, abacus, etc), art supplies (crayons, colored pencils, markers, construction paper, clay, etc), school supplies (pencils, pens, scissors, glue sticks, etc), paper products (special handwriting paper, index cards, blank paper)

Just for fun: posters for the walls

I didn't read the responses. I probably would take the $3000 and add a deck with a porch swing to my house. We used to do school on the porch in Florida all the time. I miss not having it here. I don't really have a need for the other "stuff" I could put in a school room. My kids would never actually stay put in a school room to use it. They move all over the house for school.

I posed this question to my family (dh, 10yo dd, and 4yo ds), but asking what they would want. My 4yo didn't know what he wanted for schooling. DD wants a full-sized artist's easel, and dh wants a Yamaha Motif keyboard (it does amazing things). Personally, I'd just like to have the extra room! LOL

Now, you mentioned it's for a 6yo. I'd first put in lots of bookshelves with lots of books. And I like the comfy couch idea. Fun arts and crafts are great ideas, too. But all of that won't add up to 3K if you do it wisely. SO...use what money is needed for this and put the rest into some sort of interest-bearing account to be able to use it throughout the next few years. (I'd love to have this type of funding for homeschooling. Anyone want to give me a grant? :D )

Roll down maps and an awesome laminate table. Big chalk or white board. BIG! :tongue_smilie: And a big enough room to house a face out bookshelf and one of those two person chairs in a bright corner for reading!

I would probably wet myself with excitement. :001_huh:

More than you wanted to know?

:iagree:

And then I'd head to ikea for bookshelves and to half priced books for lots and lots CLASSIC books.

Keeping in mind that I have a child who has issues paying attention, I would buy a desk/table with adjustable legs so that it would last a long time.... And 2 walls, like they have in offices, to make her very own cubicle. An iPod so *I* don't have to listen to all the latin/geography/math jingles. And a ball for her to sit on. And a 12 yr supply of SHARP pencils. That don't break when you play with the tip.

Last year I made a 'library' instead of a classroom.

I lined all of two and part of 1 wall with bookcases with doors. Thinking ahead to having it be a library instead of just a classroom. We put in over 30 feet of bookshelves :D We doubled some so they were twice as deep and secured them together. Some have solid panel doors to hide the games and art supplies, some have clear glass doors and hold books, some are open.

We put in nice laminate flooring and a rug to lay on.

We plumbed in a utility sink into the laundry room (happens to open into this room) so we have a nice big sink and a large arching faucet and sprayer for cleanup.

We bought the kids 6 foot long smooth top wood tables that are identical and can be pushed together to make one huge table if we need it. We bought them nice, comfortable desk chairs on casters. We picked tables that had folding legs so they can be carried downstairs, or folded up and put away if we want to.

The kids got desk accessories.

I filled the game cupboard (over a few years) with games that are classics. Apples to Apples, Set, Blitz etc.

Dd10 got a white board calendar (she is a scheduler at heart).

The room got fresh paint and curtains. Recessed lighting was put in the ceiling and the kids desk got task lighting on their desks.

Ds14 and I each got a nice laptop that will last a while, dd10 will get mine next year and I will buy a new one (so she will stop borrowing mine :-) )

The next purchase for the room will be a projection tv that can be attached to a computer. This way it can just be a small box attached to the ceiling instead of a tv in the room taking up space and being a distraction. They are also fun for kids to make computerized presentations and to stand up and give a report with visuals. Power Point is really easy to teach a child.

When we do this we will also put in a small leather sofa bed so it can double as a guest bed. We don't have a guest room anymore so it will have to do. Unfortunately we passed up a great couch at Costco in the fall and have regretted it since :0( I hope I can find another soon.

I started hitting the Goodwill and buying a lot of art books. It is amazing what I have been able to buy for a few dollars there. Art doesn't really change so older books that have nice color photos are all I want. I don't mind if the dust jacket is torn, I usually throw them away anyways.

I bought a small fan for fresh air to be circulated. (I took out the ceiling fan as they drive me nuts).

I found a great cart at IKEA to store paper horizontally. It holds the larger pads easily.

Over the past year we have been stocking up on art supplies. At your kids ages we concentrated on Crayola products so I didn't care if they burned through oil pastels, or the paint. It was cheap and bright colored. Now, I am buying artist quality supplies that will get us through high school. DD2 still has Crayola, so we will have both grades for several years to come.

I will most likely buy a simple to use digital camera for the kids to use this fall and let them have at it for a while. I don't want to share mine just yet!

As far as things we have bought over the years that we still use:

Several sizes of white boards.

Glass magnifying glasses, so the image is very clear.

Paper of all kinds, colors, textures (scrapbook paper is wonderful instead of constructions paper and I buy in bulk with a coupon so it is cheap).

Stickers, stickers, stickers!!!

Foam magnetic numbers and letters (each kid had fun with these)

Math manipulatives galore! They learn as much from playing with these as using them for class.

Quality, soft art aprons.16 ounce bottles of washable art paint and lots of paint brushes, sponges, etc

Craft sticks, pipe cleaners and dowels for crafts.

Craft supplies wiggle eyes, pompoms, glitter....

Pocket charts.

Foam core boards to attach maps to so they can be tucked away easily but brought out when ever you need them, already propped up. I bought large maps of the world, USA, and Each continent.

Easel white board, chalkboard, art board.

In fist grade each child started getting their own resources. So they each had their own dictionary (age appropriate) thesaurus etc. They were allowed to use highlighters to highlight words the had looked up and it is neat now to go back and look at those words. They often remind us of what we were studying at the time.

With ds14 in high school, we have started collecting adult classic literature. But in the beginning we were collecting children's classics.

3 hole punch, swing arm paper cutter, single hole punch, quality scissors, fancy edge scissors and metal yard sticks are used weekly.

I like the binders that you can put a picture on the front so I stock up on the thick white ones during the summer. I like that they all match but that is just a quirk of mine :0)

At about that age I started collecting the Eyewitness books. The kids have spent hours each looking through each of them over the years. Esp in the 6-10yo ages.

I have a large roll of light brown paper (4foot tall roll) that painters use to protect the floor. We use it for a lot of large projects. We also have a large roll of white butcher paper that we have used as well. I buy large white sketch paper at a local art supply store for about $6 per 100 sheets.

I lined all of two and part of 1 wall with bookcases with doors. Thinking ahead to having it be a library instead of just a classroom. We put in over 30 feet of bookshelves :D We doubled some so they were twice as deep and secured them together. Some have solid panel doors to hide the games and art supplies, some have clear glass doors and hold books, some are open.

We plumbed in a utility sink into the laundry room (happens to open into this room) so we have a nice big sink and a large arching faucet and sprayer for cleanup.

We bought the kids 6 foot long smooth top wood tables that are identical and can be pushed together to make one huge table if we need it. We bought them nice, comfortable desk chairs on casters. We picked tables that had folding legs so they can be carried downstairs, or folded up and put away if we want to.

The kids got desk accessories.

I filled the game cupboard (over a few years) with games that are classics. Apples to Apples, Set, Blitz etc.

Dd10 got a white board calendar (she is a scheduler at heart).

The room got fresh paint and curtains. Recessed lighting was put in the ceiling and the kids desk got task lighting on their desks.

Ds14 and I each got a nice laptop that will last a while, dd10 will get mine next year and I will buy a new one (so she will stop borrowing mine :-) )

The next purchase for the room will be a projection tv that can be attached to a computer. This way it can just be a small box attached to the ceiling instead of a tv in the room taking up space and being a distraction. They are also fun for kids to make computerized presentations and to stand up and give a report with visuals. Power Point is really easy to teach a child.

When we do this we will also put in a small leather sofa bed so it can double as a guest bed. We don't have a guest room anymore so it will have to do. Unfortunately we passed up a great couch at Costco in the fall and have regretted it since :0( I hope I can find another soon.

I started hitting the Goodwill and buying a lot of art books. It is amazing what I have been able to buy for a few dollars there. Art doesn't really change so older books that have nice color photos are all I want. I don't mind if the dust jacket is torn, I usually throw them away anyways.

I bought a small fan for fresh air to be circulated. (I took out the ceiling fan as they drive me nuts).

I found a great cart at IKEA to store paper horizontally. It holds the larger pads easily.

Over the past year we have been stocking up on art supplies. At your kids ages we concentrated on Crayola products so I didn't care if they burned through oil pastels, or the paint. It was cheap and bright colored. Now, I am buying artist quality supplies that will get us through high school. DD2 still has Crayola, so we will have both grades for several years to come.

I will most likely buy a simple to use digital camera for the kids to use this fall and let them have at it for a while. I don't want to share mine just yet!

As far as things we have bought over the years that we still use:

Several sizes of white boards.

Glass magnifying glasses, so the image is very clear.

Paper of all kinds, colors, textures (scrapbook paper is wonderful instead of constructions paper and I buy in bulk with a coupon so it is cheap).

Stickers, stickers, stickers!!!

Foam magnetic numbers and letters (each kid had fun with these)

Math manipulatives galore! They learn as much from playing with these as using them for class.

Quality, soft art aprons.16 ounce bottles of washable art paint and lots of paint brushes, sponges, etc

Craft sticks, pipe cleaners and dowels for crafts.

Craft supplies wiggle eyes, pompoms, glitter....

Pocket charts.

Foam core boards to attach maps to so they can be tucked away easily but brought out when ever you need them, already propped up. I bought large maps of the world, USA, and Each continent.

Easel white board, chalkboard, art board.

In fist grade each child started getting their own resources. So they each had their own dictionary (age appropriate) thesaurus etc. They were allowed to use highlighters to highlight words the had looked up and it is neat now to go back and look at those words. They often remind us of what we were studying at the time.

With ds14 in high school, we have started collecting adult classic literature. But in the beginning we were collecting children's classics.

3 hole punch, swing arm paper cutter, single hole punch, quality scissors, fancy edge scissors and metal yard sticks are used weekly.

I like the binders that you can put a picture on the front so I stock up on the thick white ones during the summer. I like that they all match but that is just a quirk of mine :0)

At about that age I started collecting the Eyewitness books. The kids have spent hours each looking through each of them over the years. Esp in the 6-10yo ages.

I have a large roll of light brown paper (4foot tall roll) that painters use to protect the floor. We use it for a lot of large projects. We also have a large roll of white butcher paper that we have used as well. I buy large white sketch paper at a local art supply store for about $6 per 100 sheets.

:toetap05: And can I assume that you have pictures of this wonderful space somewhere that you'll share?:drool5:

Honestly? I haven't read all the posts, but here are my first thoughts:

1. Save the money for future education costs.

2. Buy lots of pencils and wide-ruled notebook paper.

3. Make sure you have only a few curriculum items you need to give her a solid foundation. Include engaging literature.

4. Get in lots of outside time.

5. Get read-alouds out of the library or on paperback book swap.

6. Incorporate day trips into your school plans.

Sorry to be a wet rag, but $3000, invested conservatively, will double in seven years. That means in 14 or so years, you might have $12,000.

We bought the kids 6 foot long smooth top wood tables that are identical and can be pushed together to make one huge table if we need it. We bought them nice, comfortable desk chairs on casters. .

:drool5: :001_wub:

:toetap05: And can I assume that you have pictures of this wonderful space somewhere that you'll share?:drool5:

Sorry, it is all torn up at the moment being reorganized. I am phasing out the early elementary items and storing them for dd2, and moving out of storage and onto the shelves, the middle school materials. I like to put it away when I am not using it so I get the 'new again' feel when we open the boxes. :0)

It is really torn up at the minute, when it is back together I will post a pix or two and pm you to let you know its here.

:auto: baby is suspiciously quiet and I hear water so I better run.....

Purely hypothetical, of course :D

Already has a white board ("large") and a "world rug" for the floor. Located in the basement (I think it's a walk-out).

I honestly wouldn't spend much money on a school room. It's just not needed, ime. We actually got rid of our school room altogether (made it into a much-needed dining room instead), and haven't missed it a bit. School got done just as effectively at the kitchen table, in the bedrooms, and on the couch. I'd take the $3000 and make other enjoyable, needed additions to the rest of the home, or take some really great, memorable trips with it.

I'd plumb in a science center. A chemical resistant island with hot and cold running water in a sink, electricity, and a gas jet for later science experiments. I'd put an high powered extracter fan/hood over the island. I'd use the island as an art spot for now and later as great place for all the simple science eperiments that happen thru high school.

:iagree:

A science/art center was my first thought too. If there was anything left after that, I'd buy a couple of pull-down maps, a good globe, bookshelves, and reference books - things she'll use for years.

SBP

Sorry, it is all torn up at the moment being reorganized. I am phasing out the early elementary items and storing them for dd2, and moving out of storage and onto the shelves, the middle school materials. I like to put it away when I am not using it so I get the 'new again' feel when we open the boxes. :0)

It is really torn up at the minute, when it is back together I will post a pix or two and pm you to let you know its here.

:auto: baby is suspiciously quiet and I hear water so I better run.....

Absolutely pm me when it's done. I have a schoolroom, so I love ideas!!!!!