Menu

How do you teach SOTW 1?

momtoboyz

I'll be teaching this for a c0-op and am trying to figure out the best way, or the way that will make the most sense to me and the kids.

Do you teach chapter after chapter? Or do you group the chapters by civilizations? If so, does anyone have a list or schedule of how you've grouped them? I'm so lost! Please help!:001_huh:

I taught a co-op of this to 4-8 yos a couple of years ago. I don't have my list anymore, but I relied heavily on the AG. Our co-op was for 12 weeks, so we sat down and went through and chose based on which chapters had activities that would work best for the group of kids that we had. I made sure to start each lesson with a big world map and talk to the kids about where and when for each chapter instead of just reading it like I do with my own kids. If there was a high-interest picture book that could go with the chapter, I would use it too.

I didn't go by civilization, because most of the kids didn't have a good idea of history at all and I didn't want to give the impression that all of one civilization happened before another civilization started.

One more thing, we mummified apple slices not chickens. It can be started in a classroom and easily taken home.

We followed the book and her recommendations. The children colored or drew their own pictures of the story while I read or we listened to the cd. We talked about the reading, wrote narrations at whatever level was appropriate, did map work and sometimes a project. I kept a variety of books around to supplement some sections. We don't have any problem following the chapters but a timeline is helpful.

...the second time we went through it.

The first time we did SOTW, I couldn't keep all the cultures straight and I wanted to be more focused. So, I organized according to cultures/regions, because it was easier for me to do all Egypt for several weeks and then all Sumerians for a couple of weeks...etc.

We did a down-the-basement-staircase time line to show the overlap of the cultures and each week, I used the time line to review. So, when we were looking at the Mycenaeans settling in Crete, I pointed out, "Hey, remember Hatshepsut??"

I still have that spreadsheet if you want to look at it. Email me at tlong6@woh.rr.com. It isn't elaborate and I didn't write it to give to others - it was really more for me. So, I'm not sure I went back and fixed things that might have been wrong. But, it could be a starting point for you anyway...

We've just started, but have been using the schedule from Mosaic History, which switches around the chapters a bit to stay with a civilization at a time. We also use the maps from Knowledge Quest and lots of read alouds I've taken from the activity book for the corresponding chapters of SOTW. Mosaic schedules in the activities from the History Pockets, Ancient Civilizations, which my dds have enjoyed.

I like it so far. The Mosaic schedules are free and can be found at: http://www.bringinguplearners.com.