Menu

What to use after Singapore 6B?

SS in MD

My 12yo finishes up Singapore 6B in a few months. I'll like her to start Algebra 1 next. I don't think I want her to do NEM series (since it follows a different scope and sequence). I was originally thinking of TT, but I've heard it's not rigorous enough and dd really wants to go into science/medical field, so I'd like her to continue on upto Calculus in 12th grade. Any suggestions on a good Alegebra 1 course that you've had sucess with?

TIA!

Sangita

Since the first few chapters of NEM are a continuation of the arithmetic topics that weren't covered in the primary series such as operations on negative numbers, division of decimals and fractions, and order of operations so you still may want to look into that.

that after Singapore 6B, you could go straight into Algebra 1? Is that not correct?

Thanks!

That is correct.

My son finished Singapore arithmetic 4th/5th grade and while he was ready for the level of abstraction involved in algebra he wasn't capable of handling the physical quantity of writing involved in the exercises, perhaps because he has other handwriting issues...who knows..but now in the 6th grade he is handling a "rigorous" algebra course just fine.

I know many people do this, and I think my dd could have handled the concepts without any problem. She just needed some more practice with fractions, decimals, and percents. She was making too many mistakes for me to be comfortable moving on. She is flying through Chalkdust pre-algebra, and is much more solid on the basics now. I'd rather take a little extra time and be sure she's ready, than start too early and have to back up.

Thanks for the post. So, I understand correctly, you dc used MUS Pre-Algebra for 3 months. How did he get through it so quickly? After that what Algebra 1 course did your dc use?

Thanks so much for the insight on the quantity of work, I hadn't thought of that!

My middle dd finished 6B in April of her 6th grade year, when she was 11.5yo.

I had her try aleks pre-algebra, but she didn't like the format at all.

Then I had her work through Math Smart Junior. That was a fun book for her and it introduced many of the concepts that are included in US pre-algebra programs that aren't in 6A/6B.

We spread Math Smart Junior out over the whole summer, so that she didn't start algebra until the start of her 7th grade year.

She thought Jacobs Algebra looked intimidating, so when I saw the free trial year offer from Kinetic Books for their new Algebra program, I jumped on it.

My dd liked the way that Kinetic Books taught, but she didn't like that it was on the computer. When she finished the first chapter, she asked to try Jacobs.

She liked Jacobs, but the amount of work in each lesson was a lot more than she was used to, so she asked to switch back to Kinetic Books when she finished the first chapter of Jacobs.

After she finished the 2nd chapter of Kinetic Books, she asked me if she could keep doing both programs, switching between them at the end of each chapter.

That's what we've done ever since.

I like both programs and they are both complete. They cover the material in a different order, but that's okay. It just means that she gets review.

It will probably take 1.5 years for her to get through both programs this way. I expect her to finish around December.

She'll probably take 1.5 years for geometry as well.

Thanks for your post. I've never heard of Math Smart Junior or Kenetic Books? Do they have a website? Where did you hear about them? Also, after Sing 6B were you all along going to have your dd do Pre-Algebra? I guess I was assuming my dd (12 yo) could go into Algebra 1 after 6B with no problem, but from reading many of the previous posts, this may not be true. I guess I'm confused as to what to do for next fall (pre-algebra, or algebra).... Right now we are almost 1/2 done 6B. Any thoughs from your experience?

Thanks for your insight!

I plan on using Video Text Algebra after PM6B. It's concept based, with a mastery format, like Singapore. Jay Wile (Apologia science author) recommends it. The student watches the short (10 min) lesson on DVD, then reviews the same lesson in the text. They do half of the practice problems (odds or evens). The next day, they take a quiz. If they do well on the quiz, then they go on to the next lesson. If they need more practice, they can watch the lesson again, or just review the text, and do the other half of the practice problems. Then, they take the second quiz (there are two for each lesson). If they still need help, there are more practice problems online, and there is online tutor help available.

I saw the program at convention, and I was impressed with the teachers on the video, and the way the lessons were presented (each step of the problem explained, and demonstrated). I like the concepts used.

The first module of the Algebra series (there are six modules) is a review of basic mathematical concepts that need to be mastered before digging into the "real" algebra. The other five modules cover Algebra I and Algebra II, and are intended to be covered consecutively, without a break for geometry.

You can see it at http://www.videotext.com

Videotext sounds great! I was getting nervous about whether or not to pursue Algebra after PM6B, but I went to the website and it looks very promising? Just wondering, does videotext offer anything after Geometry? (like Trignometry or Calculus?)

Thanks so much, hopefully they'll be at the local homeschool fair in May.

To my knowledge, there isn't anything more available yet. They might have Trig in the works, but my memory is fuzzy on that.

I hope you get to see them in May. If not, though, they have a great trial period. You can get just the first module and try it out for 30 days. If you don't like it, they'll give you a full refund. If you do like it, they'll apply what you paid to their "full set" discounted price, and send you the rest of the series. Check it out on the website to make sure, but that's how I understand it.

I'm all excited about trying it.

Thank you so much! I know this sounds silly but I'll rest easier tonight knowing I may have ONE thing figured out for 7th grade! Can I ask you another question- I noticed your kids were using Latina Christiana I, how do you like it? I wanted my 12 yo to start latin next year, but not quite sure whether to take a leap and try Latin Prep or LC1? I have ZERO latin background... so I'll need a lot of hand holding!

Also, are planning to continue with R&S English? We are finishing up Eng 6 and I'm contemplating using AG for 7th & 8th instead, so dd can spend more time developing her writing. I'm a little nervous just b/c we've used R&S for so long, but I need something let time intensive since her other classes will be more involved. Sorry to ramble, but just wondering what you were planning.

Thanks again for your insight. :)

Guest Lorna

If you are concerned at all about moving into the next stage after Singpore without the negative numbers concept, or perhaps you feel more work on fractions is needed, then the Key To...series works well after Singpaore Maths 6B. You could keep them at hand to bridge any gaps.

We do use NEM.

My only Latin "background" is what I've learned in Prima Latina and Latina Christiana I. :o} I'm actually feeling a little out of my league. My kids are having to limp along at MY pace. I'm sure they could go faster on their own, at least my 11yodd could. My 10yods is learning it mostly orally, which takes more time on my part. They enjoy drilling each other on their vocabulary, and I enjoy discovering nuggets of cross-reference, as the Latin grammar lines up with what we just learned in R&S4, or vise versa. I'm thinking I need to work ahead, though, to see where it's all going. There isn't a lot of grammar instruction, even in the teacher guide. They seem to expect you to know it. I may just break down and buy the DVDs, though. That may take care of the whole problem. Or, I may work my way through a different course, to get a grip on what I'm supposed to be "teaching".

How's that for a long, rambling, roundabout answer. I should have just said, "I don't know about Latin." That pretty much sums it up. LOL!

We are planning on continuing with R&S7. My kids actually LIKE it! I tried to switch them to Easy Grammar this year, but neither of them wanted to change.

My 11yodd, doing R&S6, does it all by herself. She reads through the lessons, and decides if she needs to do the exercises or not. She usually ends up only doing about every third lesson, and she does all the writing assignments. I don't do anything except grade her tests at the end of every chapter. If she misses an entire section on the text, she goes back and re-does that lesson. Otherwise (since she usually gets better than 95%), she just corrects her test, and then goes on to the next chapter. She's been in R&S since 3rd grade, so much of the material is review. Plus, she just has a very firm grip on language arts. She's very conscientious, and wants to do well, so this system works for her. (If I tried it with my ds, it wouldn't work. He has none of those character traits that would make him a self-directed learner. Maybe he'll change as he gets older) Anyway, dd will probably finish R&S6 this week. I am going to spend the rest of the semester doing just writing (using Classical Writing -- Aesop and Homer combo for the older beginner -- can't remember what it's called -- it's sitting over there on the couch -- I can look up the title if you're interested).

Actually, though, I should go to bed. It is a school night. :)

I love a quiet house.

I hadn't planned on my dd doing pre-algebra after 6B, but since she still had a full month of 6th grade left when she finished 6B as well as the whole summer, I didn't want to start her on algebra yet.

Math Smart Junior is not a complete program. It's intended to be a fun introduction or review.

http://www.amazon.com/Math-Smart-Junior-School-Princeton/dp/0679759352/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204585175&sr=1-3

Kinetic Books has been a great program. It wasn't as intimidating as Jacobs, but she has found the instant feedback a bit stressful. She prefers to find out that she missed something the next day rather than immediately. That's why she asked to try Jacobs as well. Switching between the two programs makes her happy.

http://www.kineticbooks.com

I'm sorry, I know these threads are confusing. I was responding under Heather.

We went through 6B and I bought NEM to try to use the following year. My problems actually started somewhere in the sixth book, I guess, when there would occasionally be a problem that neither my husband nor I could work out to our satisfaction without using algebra. I didn't get satisfaction when I went to the website to inquire, either. It seemed to us that there would be a set-up with examples, but then the problem sets would include problems that didn't follow ANY of the given examples, and then we were stumped as to how to explain it to our son. So we started NEM.....

Within one week I was seeing more of the same thing. There would be a set-up with examples, then we'd start the problem set and there would be problems that just didn't seem to follow any of the examples. I knew I wasn't going to be able to do it.

I already owned Saxon 1/2, which is their pre-algebra text, so I let my son start working through that. After we looked over NEM some more, we decided that we just would not be able to use it, so we let him stay with Saxon for the year. Meanwhile I began researching a program that would provide more thorough teaching to free me up from doing that, as I had a little guy who had just come home to school for first grade that year.

I decided on VideoText and was able to get the first module or two used from a friend. We started it the next year and it was working out well, so I ordered the rest of that first year series. We continued with it for Algebra II, the next year, as well. My husband and I were able to help him whenever he had difficulties, but in general the programming was laid out in such a way that he could follow it without too much difficulty. Between the instructor making notes on the video to explain the set, the notes already written for you in a separate book so that you could refer to them when you needed to, and the problems and tests, it was very simple to follow, I thought. There are two sets of tests, as well, and longer tests at the end of a module, so those can all be used for extra work if you think you need it.

My son returned to private school this year and is taking geometry. They have done a fair amount of algebra in the class, as well, and he's had no difficulties with it. He will take trig/pre-calc next year, so we'll see how VT's Alg II series served him at that time, I guess.

I think some folks don't feel this programming is rigorous enough and perhaps there's an argument to be made for that if a child is going to major in math/science related things where they need a lot more heavy training in math theory, etc. (but I can't speak to that as I'm not a math person, myself). My son is not the least interested in math; he's simply doing this to fulfill requirements. Actually, that's not quite true; he IS enjoying geometry this year. But he's not going to be majoring in anything that requires lots of math skills, nor doing anything like that in life as a career, so this program served our purposes just fine.

Regena