Menu

Latin pronunciation help sought

We've come across a word we are all hesitant to speak outloud..namely, "fac"- first person singular imperative form of "facere". Oh please, oh please, oh please, tell us it isn't what we fear!

Many, many thanks. :with fingers crossed:

~Killian

We've come across a word we are all hesitant to speak outloud..namely, "fac"- first person singular imperative form of "facere". Oh please, oh please, oh please, tell us it isn't what we fear!

~Killian

No, the word is fine! It's the infinitive form of the verb which means "to make, to do, or to accomplish". It's pronunciation would be (I think): fah' - keh - reh (long "a" as in "father"; sort of like the short "e" as in "bed"; then another short "e"). Roll the "r".

HTH.

I was hoping so...however, our text (Latin Prep) indicates that the "a" in the imperative form is short. The text indicates long vowels with the use of a macron. Unfortunately, the "a" in "fac" does not have a macron. Could it perhaps be a difference between Ecclesiastical and Classical pronunciation? We are following Classical, fwiw. (Although Eccl. is looking better and better!)

Thanks,

~K

~Killian

See this site for advice on how to pronounce Latin vowels in the Classical pronunciation:

http://wheelockslatin.com/chapters/introduction/introduction.html

And try not to worry too much. It is, after all, a different language. Remember that you are Latin scholars!

Thank you. I was wondering if you could explain the disparity between Wheelock's pronunciation and what appears in our text. Our text: "A short 'a' is pronounced something like 'u' in 'hut'. A long 'a' is pronounced something like 'ar' is 'far'." Wheelock's: long 'a' as in father", short 'a' as in "Dinah". While the long 'a' appears to be the same, I would not pronounce the short vowels the same way with those two examples. Have we been wrestling with pronunciation that is not the norm here in the U.S.?

:treading unfamiliar waters:

~K

Edited by Killian

LP and SYRWTLL (Galore Park) are published in Great Britain, so it could be that the English examples they give for pronunciation are keyed into how British people generally pronounce their vowels. However, both American and English examples are trying to get you to the same Restored Classical Latin pronunciation.

At any rate, try not to worry about how the word is pronounced, since it is a Latin word and not an English word.

Thank you so much, Latinteach. While I have usually have no qualms about foreign lang. pronunciation, the looks on the kids' faces is hard to be unaffected by. The eldest remarked on the two youngest's propensity to repeat all things Latin....I do believe they will not be joining us on any shopping trips in the near future! We've had enough strange looks with "ducebat". :laughs:

And thanks for the Wheelock's link. I had bookmarked their site previously and promptly forgot what a wonderful resource it is. Appreciate the reminder!

Much thanks!

~K