Menu

Big SHOWDOWN today

A little birdie told me that the "big boss" in my district is going to call me this morning and ask me to do something unethical regarding standardized testing. I, of course, am going to refuse. This will be considered insubordination. But since I've already given my notice, they can't fire me. :D I'm sure it will be a very difficult (and by "difficult" I mean he is going to wig out that I am not bowing to his authority) conversation though so wish me luck.

A little birdie told me that the "big boss" in my district is going to call me this morning and ask me to do something unethical regarding standardized testing. I, of course, am going to refuse. This will be considered insubordination. But since I've already given my notice, they can't fire me. :D I'm sure it will be a very difficult (and by "difficult" I mean he is going to wig out that I am not bowing to his authority) conversation though so wish me luck.

People like that really get my goat......but I've learned over the years to turn it back on them.

"Oh, Mr Boss, I'm not sure I can legally do that.....let me call the legal department at headquarters and find out what they think we ought to do. No no, it's ok, I'll be happy to do that for you, no need for you to trouble yourself, you're the big boss afterall."

And while I may not actually say that.....if I were leaving like you were....I'd gather as much concrete evidence of his request (and I'm guessing there are others such questionable requests in the past).....and on my way out the door I'd drop them into the nearest mailbox addressed to the highest management level I could find. Let them decide how to deal with him, lol.

Good on ya for standing up for your intgerity. And yeah, they can still fire you even though you gave notice....but hey, then you could put in a legitimate request for unemployment....and of course you'd have to appeal it because if you were fired for cause you aren't entitled, so you'd have to appeal and prove that you weren't fired for cause. Yeah, that ought to go over well, since it will be someone else in the company at the appeal, not your boss. "Your honor, I was fired because I refused to do something unethical and possibly illegal, and here's the proof."

So it was a little less dramatic than I expected. He called me and asked me to do exactly what the little birdie said he would. But thankfully I had a well-prepared answer. Among other things I told him that I refused to compromise my reputation and my integrity for anything especially test scores as I have to answer for all of this one day. He was ....ummmm....to be honest....a little tongue-tied. I think it was the very last thing he expected me to say. I mean, basically, he said "do this" and I said "no". That doesn't happen to him very often.

But you are right. What is he going to do? Fire me? :D