Menu

Does anyone else have a middle schooler that still writes run-on (and on) sentences?

My 13 y.o. son recently asked me to help him with the essay he wrote for a writing class he's taking at a homeschool co-op. (They are using an excellent curriculum, "The Elegant Essay" from IEW, btw.) Even though he said he had already proof-read it, he apparently still can't recognize a sentence fragment or run-on sentence when he sees one. And, believe me, there are plenty of incomplete sentences in his paper--you'd think he would have caught at least a few of them! He has some run-on sentences tha trun on and on and on. They should be broken into 4 or 5 different sentences. I've homeschooled him for 6 years, trying to implement good classical education writing programs as well as traditional ones. I"ve used Classical Writing, Excellence in Writing, dictation, copywork, etc.

I have no idea if this is a huge "red flag" that he is not ready for highschool (he wants to go to the local public school next year), or is this common among 8th graders (especially boys.) One of the disadvantages to homeschooling is that we don't get a good perspective on what is normal for this age. So, I hoping that you all can help give us some perspective on what is typical and normal " complete sentence" writing ability for children (especially boys) at this age.

Thanks so much in advance.

Not sure about run ons, but one little tip about fragments I just read in Rod and Staff was to be sure your sentence has a verb, and that someone or something is doing the verb, because that's very important and prevents fragments from getting into your writing.

LOL--maybe you can show him this sentence and practice dividing it up!

My 13 yo dd does this. She has been informally diagnosed as mildly dyslexic, although she is now a good reader. She also misspells words, leaves out punctuation, and forgets to capitalize. We've done copywork, dictation, lots of grammar and several different writing programs. We're just starting IEW and am hoping that will help. It is very, very frustrating.

My 13 yo dd does this. She has been informally diagnosed as mildly dyslexic, although she is now a good reader. She also misspells words, leaves out punctuation, and forgets to capitalize. We've done copywork, dictation, lots of grammar and several different writing programs. We're just starting IEW and am hoping that will help. It is very, very frustrating.

My daughter is a lot like your daughter. ;) This year she has been taking an IEW class and it has been a blessing!