Menu

4th grade science?

runamuk

I've bought everything for 4th grade except science and I still have no idea what to buy.

We tried RS4K, but my daughter didn't care for it and the experiments didn't always work. I bought the Usborne and Kingfisher books and tried to cobble together my own program, but ended up doing nothing. I then bought Adventures of Atoms & Molecules and it came with a wonderful (handwritten) schedule of readings and experiments, but the my daughter hated the Kingfisher readings. So I used AA&M with RS4K and it worked for a while, but I didn't like having to figure it all out myself so science didn't get done.

Science was never my strong point when I was in school. I found the textbooks dull and the lectures coma-inducing. I never understood chemistry and even rescheduled my physics class for an art class.

What I need is a program that is laid out for me. I don't want to have to figure out what chapter to read next, what experiment goes with what chapter, or figure out what supplemental readings to pick up for the material. I'd like a CM based science program and my daughter wants experiments and activities. I'd like to learn about scientists along with the scientific principles. It needs to be fun and secular.

Is there a science curriculum out there for us?

When DS was in 4th grade I think we just followed the WTM recommendations (old ones...don't know if they've changed with the new edition) and used a couple of the "Science in a Nutshell" Kits for physics. They were great. All the supplies are included in a plastic container along with instructions and lab books (enough for 4 students.) I don't know that I'll do the same thing next time around just because I keep hearing about all these other science programs and I may want to try some of them. But honestly, the nutshell kits were great.

When DS was in 4th grade I think we just followed the WTM recommendations (old ones...don't know if they've changed with the new edition) and used a couple of the "Science in a Nutshell" Kits for physics. They were great. All the supplies are included in a plastic container along with instructions and lab books (enough for 4 students.) I don't know that I'll do the same thing next time around just because I keep hearing about all these other science programs and I may want to try some of them. But honestly, the nutshell kits were great.

Highjacking...

I am so glad to hear this! We're planning to use three of them next year (along with two TOPS kits and a Thames & Kosmos kit). We're going to share ours with a friend, at least, so that splits some of the cost. What books (if any) did you use along with the kits? Can I ask which ones you used?

Highjacking...

I am so glad to hear this! We're planning to use three of them next year (along with two TOPS kits and a Thames & Kosmos kit). We're going to share ours with a friend, at least, so that splits some of the cost. What books (if any) did you use along with the kits? Can I ask which ones you used?

Umm, I've slept since then. ;) I think our routine was to read the lesson from the kit, look up definitions in the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia and copy them for the notebook. We'd do the experiment, answering the questions in the lab book. I can't remember now if we did a separate write-up or if the lab book was it. But the experiments were fun (we did "Electrical Connections" and "Energy and Motion.")

Oh yeah, and we used a little book about simple machines for a few weeks at the beginning of the year.

Have you considered/taken a look at NOEO? We are really enjoying NOEO and I HAVE tried tons of secular science books/programs. I haven't liked any as much as NOEO.

Have you used NOEO with different grade levels? I will have a 2nd and 5th graders. But I really don't have time to do separate science lessons...

We're almost done with NOEO chemistry 2, and I plan to buy physics 2 next. I used it with my 4th and 2nd graders. Some of it was over my 2nd grader's head, but a surprising amount was not. She's not academically advanced either. My 4th grader is, which is why we went with level 2. NOEO is easy to use, and not too overwhelming, IMO.

We downloaded the sample lessons from REAL Science Odyssey (Pandia Press) and the kids love it. I'm using it for 4th grade with a tagalong 1rst grader.

I was going to say this too. You could always add living books on the subjects and biographies of scientists.

Chiming in on the question: Noeo or RS4K?--I have an advanced 3rd grader and 5th grader (bright but does not like to notebook or write.) He's a kinesthetic learner (natural outdoorsman, mechanic), but a calm personality. Both are boys--who has advice between these two? We're doing History Odyssey so they'll get plenty of narration/summary work in other subjects.

Noeo or RS4K? I need to do the same program with both (have an older child as well). Advise, please!