Menu

Any one living very far away from "home" (like Okinawa?)

Hello,

We're a military family, and dh is starting to think about our options for our next duty station. Okinawa is a possibility, and would probably be a good thing for him, job-wise. But we're a little scared about throwing our hat in that ring. I've heard such great things about being over there...and what an opportunity to learn about another part of the world! Our biggest concern is that both of our families are from Florida, and Oki is SO far away. (We've managed to stay on the East Coast for his whole career.) Our parents aren't getting any younger. I'm not saying they're going to kick the bucket any time soon (I hope) but if something did happen and we were on the other side of the world it would be very hard for us. OTOH, I'm sure they wouldn't want us to turn down this opportunity because we thought their time was limited.

So, for those of you living overseas (especially Okinawa!) I have some questions....

--How often do you go back home to visit? If you are military, how does that work? I've heard there are space-a flights available, but they aren't very reliable? I'd love any information.

--How do you like being overseas? Do you ever just want to be back in the good old USA? Do you ever get "island fever"

--If you are actually in Okinawa, could you tell me a little more about it? What's housing like? What are the bases like? Big or small commissary? Is there any kind of homeschooling group?

I know this is pretty particular so if you'd like to pm me that's fine (or just post here....there might be others like me!) Any information would be great.

Thanks!:001_smile:

--How do you like being overseas? Do you ever just want to be back in the good old USA? Do you ever get "island fever"

Loved it. We finally wanted to bring the children back to the West, but the time overseas was a wonderful experience. We used to get to either DH's home or mine about every year, which was exhausting but felt like the right thing to do.

Best wishes

Laura

We are not currently overseas but we are looking at possibly going in about one year from now for a two year assignment with DH's job....non military.

I grew up overseas as a missionary kid in Kenya. So my perspective is different. I loved growing up overseas and feel that my life is far richer because of it. I want for my kids to experience even a taste of that.

Things are SO different these days than when I grew up. Air travel is far cheaper for one thing and people travel back and forth with far more frequency for family events (weddings, funerals, etc...) When I grew up we went for four years and that was IT.....Other things that make you feel not so far away.....cheaper phone calling (and you can even keep your US number if you have something like Vonage), internet, TV.....I grew up with none of those things and air mail took about 2-3 months IF it even got there.

None of this will probably help you in your situation, but I am always interested in people going overseas for a while.

Dawn

We weren't stationed in Okinawa but in Belgium. WE were there for three years and never went back but we had no need to. My parents are deceased and dh's mother is deceased. ANyway, although we spent our vacations travelling Europe and many others in Asia spend there's travelling Asia and visiting Australia, you can fly back. In Europe, those who flew back mostly did that once a year since either they paid the fare or they had to take lots of time out to do the hop thing. If parents are well enough to travel, that is what I would recommend. It would be cheaper to get them there then for you to get a whole family back.

Hello,

We're a military family, and dh is starting to think about our options for our next duty station. Okinawa is a possibility, and would probably be a good thing for him, job-wise. But we're a little scared about throwing our hat in that ring. I've heard such great things about being over there...and what an opportunity to learn about another part of the world! Our biggest concern is that both of our families are from Florida, and Oki is SO far away. (We've managed to stay on the East Coast for his whole career.) Our parents aren't getting any younger. I'm not saying they're going to kick the bucket any time soon (I hope) but if something did happen and we were on the other side of the world it would be very hard for us. OTOH, I'm sure they wouldn't want us to turn down this opportunity because we thought their time was limited.

So, for those of you living overseas (especially Okinawa!) I have some questions....

--How often do you go back home to visit? If you are military, how does that work? I've heard there are space-a flights available, but they aren't very reliable? I'd love any information.

--If you are actually in Okinawa, could you tell me a little more about it? What's housing like? What are the bases like? Big or small commissary? Is there any kind of homeschooling group?

I know this is pretty particular so if you'd like to pm me that's fine (or just post here....there might be others like me!) Any information would be great.

Thanks!:001_smile:

We've been in Okinawa since last July. We have not returned to the States, yet, and I'm not sure when we will. A lot of our friends will Space-A back to the States, but you have to be patient because you may not get the first flight you try for, and sometimes you get "stuck" somewhere for a few days. If we were to go back to visit, I would Space-A back to the States and then pay for tickets back to Oki. Coming back seems to be when most people get stuck in Hawaii (which is beautiful, but expensive).

We've been blessed to find a great church where we are very active. It is so nice to have friends that you know you can count on during deployments.

Yes, sometimes I would love to be back in the States. Mainly to see my oldest son, who is in college, and to SHOP. We miss shopping, but we do a lot of online shopping and it is not exhorbitantly expensive to ship, since we are military. Priority mail usually takes about 1 week to get here.

I would suggest you go to the USMC website for Okinawa. There is a lot of info regarding all aspects of the Okinawa experience. Another great website is http://www.okinawahai.com . It is fabulous!

There are homeschooling groups on the island and I have not experienced island fever. It is a beautiful place and there are lots of things to do.

Check out those websites, and if you have any questions pm me.

:)