Menu

What are your top picks for History for 7th grade?

5KidzRUs

K12 has a great History sequence for the middle school ages. Ancients is World History A and Medival to Early Modern is World History B. You can check out the textbooks used in the courses at:

http://www.k12.com/schooling_programs/k12_direct/human_odyssey/index.html

If you'd like to test drive the online part of either of these history courses, let me know. I can give you temporary access to them because I'm a parent representative for K12, called a K12 Star. Just so you know, I don't do any selling for K12. I just answer general questions, like the one you posted here. I don't get paid if you buy or anything like that.

Secular: I agree that K12 is superb.

Christian: Diana Waring History Alive! She has Ancients (Vol. 1) and Romans, Reformers, Revolutionaries (Vol. 2) both revised with her Vol. 3 available but not revised (still very good!). MOH 1 and 2 are also very good w/ MOH 2 being just a bit more challenging (good for 7th). You could also look at MFW curriculum packages (more than just History). HTH

We are doing K12 right now - But they have my 6th graders in Odyssey Book 1 which is World History 1400s to 1600s I believe. The kids are not loving it - we are half way through.

I think this is a good series, but a bit advanced for 11-12 year olds. I think they were written for 9th graders.

We're finishing SOTW Vol. 4 in sixth grade (maybe a bit into 7th). I'll have a 7th and a 5th grader. I'm looking at starting over with the ancients with Sonlight Core 6. I like that it covers Ancients to Reformation in one year, and that dd will be able to do most of the reading herself. She loves to read, and she reads fast and well. My 5th grade ds won't be able to go into as much depth because he's not as avid a reader, but he'll enjoy the read-alouds and do some reading on his own (more than he's done in the past). If we stay on track with Sonlight, we'll continue with Core 7 (8th), Core 100 (9th), Core 300 (10th), Core 400 (11th), and either Core 530 or 200 in 12th.

I need to do some more research before I decide, but this is what I'm looking at, so far. We shall see.

TOG We will be doing TOG redesigned next year for 6th. Though we have done TOG for three years this will be our first doing the Dialectic stage. I am planning now and I am surprised at how meaty it is. I think it will really be bumping up my daughters work for next year.

Check out the books that Calvert uses - Houghton Mifflin; A Message of Ancient Days and Across the Centuries. The first book is ancients, the second goes through 1600/1700's. They are very readable texts with a few questions at the end of each section and chapter. No answers unless you get the teachers guide, but still good.

History at our House also looks good. If it fits with your philosophy and budget it has gotten some great reviews on another list.

How about logic-stage History ala TWTM w/ Netflix documentaries added for good measure? Works well here...

This is what I am planning for my dd who will be 7th grade this coming year. I have been unsure what to do for her and so I pulled out my copy of WTM and have been inspired again. :)

If you don't have your own copy, check your library, but I would definitely check out the recommendations for 7th grade.