Menu

What to do with stuffed animals that are still wanted!

Hi everyone,

Does anyone else have this problem? My girls (12 and 9) have a ton of stuffed animals that they want to keep. They don't want to put them up somewhere. They don't even like to put them in their closets. Therefore, there is a pile of them on their beds that get thrown into the floor each night, which makes walking into their rooms a hazard. I'm glad they like them so much (I was the same way as a child), but I'd love a way to organize them a bit better so they're not so messy. Thanks ladies.

Terri:001_smile:

*sigh* I have this issue, too. My dd even has a huge bookcase with room for stuffed animals, but there is a dog-gone herd that "has" to live on her bed. It does annoy me. I hate clutter. But I'm living with it right now. The best I could do is insist that she put them on the bed neatly. It bugs me, but it's just not the hill I want to die on.

how about a laundry basket near the bed? Even a more attractive basket would work. It'd be easy enough for them to throw the babies into every night, but contained in a way that they could still have easy access to them in the morning/daytime.

We have a basket o' babies in the playroom, and it works well. The rule is that there can be no overflow, though. Before any new babies join the herd, there must be a culling. It's nature's way ;) LOL. I let them donate still-loved but need-to-go-to-make-room-for-new babies to our local abused womens' shelter so that other kids can enjoy them as well. They like that, makes it easier to give up babies they are fond of.

I like idea of an over-the-door hamper or shoe holder, too - wrote that one down for future reference :)

Why not ask them? Suggest some ideas mentioned here, but make the only rules that they can't be on the bed at night (maybe 1 can sleep with them per night) and they can't be on the floor. If they want to move them from the basket (or other option) onto the bed everyday, let them. It's their time, not yours.

Wow. DD never throws hers on the floor at night. She would feel so sorry for them if they weren't on the nice soft bed. DD is 12. I'm told that this is a normal result of surging hormones. It seems pretty babyish to me, but I'm dealing. On reflection, it does help that she has a double bed. So there is actually room for her and them together. A tight squeeze, though.

Ugh. Ugh, ugh, ugh. We have a HUGE stuffed animal issue here. Let's put it this way.....we have two stuffed animal nets hung in the room. We have two huge laundry bins full of stuffed animals. We have two baskets full of stuffed animals. There is a laundry bin full of baby dolls. And there are still various stuffed animals scattered around the playroom/living room.

My daughter LOVES stuffed animals (she's five). But I completely understand, I was the exact same way when I was a kid. And I still love stuffed animals as an adult. But something has got to give LOL. We are being overtaken by stuffed animals!!! My daughter cries and cries and cries when we have to go through them and get rid of some. And whenever she gets any kind of money, she will buy some sort of stuffed animal. The kid just loves them.

Hi ladies,

Thank you so much for your ideas. I asked my firls about the net and the shoe organizer but they said it wasn't fair to the animals!!! :001_rolleyes:It really is sweet- I want my girls to be compassionate. Anyway, I told them I'd allow them to go on the back of their room doors so they wouldn't be shut up in their closets ALONE, and that we could buy new shoe organizers especially for the animals so they wouldn't be in the smelly old ones that have had the little brothers' shoes in them. Also they can put them in the order they normally sleep with them, and we could create special stickers for each one's cubby with the animals names on them. THEY AGREED! I'm so thrilled. The organizers won't hold all the animals but many. Thanks for your help. It is funny to see how many kids have this "problem." And I say that to be funny- this is really no problem - a blessing of being a parent!

Terri

Ugh. Ugh, ugh, ugh. We have a HUGE stuffed animal issue here.

And I still love stuffed animals as an adult. But something has got to give LOL. We are being overtaken by stuffed animals!!!

I am laughing over this thread! But not because of ds and stuffed animals. He long ago culled his, gave away what he didn't want, he and dh made and put up shelves above the windows and along one wall at the same height as the window shelves and put the animals he still wanted there. NO problem! :)

HERE'S the problem. DH!!! I kid you not - we have 20+ stuffed animals on. our. bed. EVERY night, I trudge them to the couch in the living room, and EVERY morning I trudge them back to the bed. It takes two trips, sometimes three, EACH morning and evening . . . Just recently, dh added ANOTHER stuffed animal. I said I

am. not. going. to add another animal on the bed OR to the twice-daily trips. Soooo, he put it on the night stand - and every night it finds its way to the couch where of course I find it in the morning. Oh - and the animal that I had on a shelf ABOVE his dresser, has somehow found its way to being ON his dresser, so he includes that one, too, in the couch-line-up!:tongue_smilie:

Ah well, we are stuffed animal "lovers" from way back, but I agree with ChristusG: Ugh. Ugh, ugh, ugh.:rolleyes:

About the age of 7 or 8 we started a new rule. ONE animal in equals TWO animals out of the same size or equivalent. A large new animal may be worth 5 or 6 Webkins size, so she has to consider that too. So, if we are at the store, and she sees an new animal, she can only buy it if she can tell me which animals are going to get donated to make room for the new one. IF she can't come up with two and she still wants to buy it, I get to pick the two that leave, sight unseen, when she is not around. The thought of that has really limited which animals are brought into the house.

It also has allowed us to create a donation pile that lives in the attic. It is animals that may not be ready to leave yet...but she is considering their place in the family. There are now TWO big black bags full in the attic but still piles around the house. When she is trying to figure out which ones to get rid of, my suggestion is Always from biggest to littlest!

We also have told all the grandparents that if they buy her stuffed animals, the animal has to live at their house and will get mailed back to them if it escapes and comes home on 'accident'. They will be expected to keep it forever, and they know it, so they quickly stopped buying animals for her!

I put them in a duvet cover which I don't use anymore. I tie it up to use as a "bean bag" chair. When they are in the mood to play with the actual stuffed toys we just open it up and spill them out for a while.

Cute idea...a lot cheaper than these $60+ solutions, but for what it's worth, there is a "commercial" version of this idea:

http://www.booninc.com/products/OvalAnimalBag/802 - small

http://www.booninc.com/products/OttoAnimalBag - medium

http://www.booninc.com/products/TrioAnimalBag - humongous

I love this!!!! But gosh! The price!!! Maybe just an empty beanbag chair? I wonder how expensive those are.......

Cute idea...a lot cheaper than these $60+ solutions, but for what it's worth, there is a "commercial" version of this idea:

http://www.booninc.com/products/OvalAnimalBag/802 - small

http://www.booninc.com/products/OttoAnimalBag - medium

http://www.booninc.com/products/TrioAnimalBag - humongous