Menu

Real Science 4 Kids...questions...

Susu

I am considering this for next year and have a few questions...

1. Would this work for both 3rd and 6th grades?

2. MUST I do chemistry first and then biology? (In other words, does the biology build on some previous work in the first chemistry book?) I think my kids would enjoy biology more.

3. Is this a stand alone program for the year. Just read the text, do the experiment and fill in the workbook?

4. How many of you really like this program?

5. I am also considering Sonlight Science 3 which includes the Real Science 4 Kids text, but not the workbook. I am wondering if this would be a better way to utilize this text?

TIA

Susu

1. Yes.

2. I used Chemisty then Physical. There was reference to some things we learned from Chem. in the Phys. book. I'm sure you could do Bio first without it causing any problems.

3. Yes. The workbook is really a lab book. The information for the experiments goes in it, plus there is a review page for each chapter.

4. It's okay.

5. I don't know.

I taught this in a co-op setting this year with 10 kids ranging in age from 9-12.

The kids said it was their favorite class. That's because I'm a lot of fun, not because the program is so great. I like the student text. It explains things well and in a fun way. I like that the tm gave me more information than the student text so I could elaborate on what they were learning. Sometimes the tm info wasn't very clear and it left me confused. Many times our experiments didn't work. It wasn't just me, either. Another mom was teaching younger kids and she couldn't get them to work either and her mom teaches science at a local community college. I found I had to tweak the experiments to get them to work and it ended up being more work for me than I wanted. Other people seem to have better results than me, so I dunno. My kids in class had great attitudes and we joked all year about our non-working experiments.

Susu,

Whether it will work for your kids really depends on your goals. IMO RS4K is good but a rather light program. It would be hard to make just the chemistry book last a year. It only has 10 chapters, and the lab book only 10 experiments. Around here we are used to more volume of read (SL was our first program, still love it just needed more hands on too). We honestly did the Pre 1 Chem book in 20 days back when my oldest was in 2nd grade. This years she did the Chemistry 1 book, and I added in a couple DK books, a Tiner book and more experiments and it still only took about 18 weeks.

If you only want to do science once or twice a week, or you want something that is simple and well stated, RS4K does both of these. If you prefer a literature type approach, then RS4K is just too light.

Heather

Susu,

Whether it will work for your kids really depends on your goals. IMO RS4K is good but a rather light program. It would be hard to make just the chemistry book last a year. It only has 10 chapters, and the lab book only 10 experiments. Around here we are used to more volume of read (SL was our first program, still love it just needed more hands on too). We honestly did the Pre 1 Chem book in 20 days back when my oldest was in 2nd grade. This years she did the Chemistry 1 book, and I added in a couple DK books, a Tiner book and more experiments and it still only took about 18 weeks.

If you only want to do science once or twice a week, or you want something that is simple and well stated, RS4K does both of these. If you prefer a literature type approach, then RS4K is just too light.

Heather

:iagree: I used it this year with my 6th grader. It's quite light, and we could have easily finished it quickly, but life got in the way, LOL. You could do biology first....right now we have a tadpole in the kitchen that has been quite fun.

What I liked most about the books is that they are not overwhelming. For my older boy, we tried Apologia General Science in 6th grade (local co-op offered a great opportunity). That text was overwhelming for him. The RS4Ks is engaging and pithy, making it easy to understand (mostly).

I haven't received my SL catalog yet (in spite of requesting one twice!), so I can't comment on how SL utilizes the text.

There is a yahoo group for RS4K (search RealScience4Kids)

Blessings,

Rita

I think RS4K Bio 1 would be OK for a 3rd grader, but I would definitely not use it for a 6th grader. The sections on cell structure and protists are good, but even a 3rd grader probably already knows the parts of a plant and the life cycles of frogs and butterflies, and there's really not much more in it.

If you compare the tiny amount of info in RS4K with what's in a standard middle school Life Sciences textbook, a 6th grader would be missing a HUGE amount of information. RS4K Biology is only *70* pages (and that's with a very large font and lots of pictures), vs 400-600 pages in a regular Life Sciences text.

I don't have any experience with Sonlight, but you might consider Noeo Bio 1 for your 3rd grader & Noeo Bio 2 for your 6th grader. That way you could coordinate the topics, but each would have material at their own level. I have the books for both levels and they are excellent (I think Bio is the subject Noeo does best).

Another possibility that would work quite well with those grade levels would be Singapore Science: either use 3/4 for your younger child and 5/6 for your older child, or just use 5/6 with both of them. I have all of the 5/6 books & workbooks and I think it could certainly be used with a 3rd grader. The labs are great and really make kids think. Plus you can use them for 2 years; I'm just doing the bio chapters this year and I will use the physical science chapters the following year when we do physics & chemistry.

Jackie

ETA: The RS4K Chemistry books are MUCH better then the Bio or Physics books, IMHO. The author is a chemist, so there is a lot more info presented at a much higher level. Chem 1 would be OK for a 3rd & 6th grader, as long as you supplement. You could also use Chem 2 with your 6th grader. Ellen McHenry's chemistry curriculum (The Elements and Carbon Chemistry) are a good way to fill out a year if you start with RS4K Chemistry.

Edited by Corraleno

I think RS4K Bio 1 would be OK for a 3rd grader, but I would definitely not use it for a 6th grader. The sections on cell structure and protists are good, but even a 3rd grader probably already knows the parts of a plant and the life cycles of frogs and butterflies, and there's really not much more in it.

RS4K isn't designed to be all year; the 3 are supposed to all be done in one year. It's not designed for the classical mode of homeschooling. The level 2 can last longer as there is more to it.

RS4K1 was perfect for my middle one who isn't that interested in science and doesn't last in one subject for a year yet. We did Chem first, and although it didn't cover what a year long textbook did, what it covered was solid, even if it's on the "light" side compared with an all year text. It was the first science program she actually got through. We're doing Biology now, in the same year. Some of the Biology is definitely on the light side, and the labs are mixed in level; some are good for the age group, and some are way too young. We haven't started the Physics yet.

I know I read that the levels were designed to be coordinated, but does this mean that the experiments in the pre-level I and the level I chemistry are the same and that the explanation is just more detailed?

Thanks,

Laura

Laura,

I was confused on this point as well. I sat down at one time and tried to coordinate the pre1 level and the 1 level Chemistry. The focus was different enough that it seemed it would be difficult to pull off and that each was better done on their own schedule. But I didn't think to look at the experiments to see if they were the same (or close to it).

I do know that at level 2 the student is supposed to design their own lab experiments. More than one person has complained about that on the yahoo group. Though those who have used RS4K Chemistry 1 say they are doing the same experiments, so if your child picks up on that it isn't too hard.

Heather

Laura,

II do know that at level 2 the student is supposed to design their own lab experiments. More than one person has complained about that on the yahoo group. Though those who have used RS4K Chemistry 1 say they are doing the same experiments, so if your child picks up on that it isn't too hard.

Heather

I haven't seen the pre-Level books, but woudn't bother with them if you're doing 1. The 2 experiments for Chem aren't the same as 1, of course, because a. the student is designing them, and, b, they are just different.

We just read the Level 1 Chem book to ds, gr 3, and he understood enough. He joined in the same experiments as dd.

• 3 weeks later...

and Level 1 and I plan on using them together for ds7, and dd10,11 They will be easy enough to be in the same place. I will add more reading via the science books on my shelf (DK type).

I completed Level 1 with my other 2 when they were in 4th and 5th and they got a descent intro. to Chemistry.

The purpose of these books is to give a look at Chemistry so a child isn't hit over the head with a foreign science at an advanced level. I found the program to be light, but I believe that was the goal. We enjoyed it.

As for experiments...we tend to mess those up no matter what we're using :tongue_smilie:I guess we're just goofy that way!

ETA: light, not weak. Light as in coursework for them and me. It's not a do it all yourself for either of us!

Edited by johnandtinagilbert
eta: adjust "light"

Both my 8th grader and my fourth grader used these books in 3rd grade. And, my 8th grader still remembers what he learned.

It may be "light" but depending on how you use it, it is very valuable. We really memorized the different things in the book - we particularly liked Biology.

Personally, I don't think it is light if they can rattle off all the parts of a cell (is Chloroplast, ribosome and mitochondria and what they do, light?), they have also retained the order of classification (kingdom, phylum...) and know the 5 different categories for classification (animalia, protista...), as well as what Kinetic energy means and give an example?

I think if you just read through it and don't expect to review and have retention - it would be light. But, if you memorize the facts and quiz them periodically - like in the car or something- it is spot on. We did all three in one year.

we have used RS4K prelevel chemistry this spring, for one hour once a week. it will take us nine sessions of approx. 1 hour. dds are 9 and 11. we have found it to be a great introduction to chemistry. i like how it teaches approach to problems, not just a "how to". they seem to be taking from it what is agelevel appropriate for them. and dd 23, home from college, had great fun with the chromotography - she took from it what she was ready to learn, too. that's a rare thing in a curriciulum. we do natural science 6 days a week, and RS4Ks 1 day a week.

hth,

ann