Menu

McRuffy LA for 2nd? Also, best writing programs?

Tatt2mama

I've read some reviews where the kids and parents loved it-but is it rigorous enough? I'm looking at McRuffy 2nd Grade Language Arts, for my son 6 (7 in November)-to start in the fall. We're currently doing LLATL Red (2nd grade but feels more like 1st to me). Specifically, for those who've used McRuffy LA, I'd like to know if you think there's enough grammar/writing/spelling for a 2nd grader to get a firm grounding. They don't show any real writing/grammar in the samples (it's all compound word work)-I may email them and see if they're willing to send me more samples.

If I did use this next year, I would probably add my own lit list, and possibly a supplemental writing program. What are some other good writing programs for 2nd grade level (non-copywork-we tried WWE and it didn't work for us)? I've heard a lot of people like Writing Strands, I'd love to hear about that one, and others people have liked.

Just doing my research, exploring for next year...

Thanks in advance,

Flo