Menu

Language Arts--SL and the WTM

TKDmom

This is a spin-off of an earlier post that I wrote about my 2nd grade dd who is not enjoying any work that requires her write right now. We are using WWE 2 and GWG 3 right now as the basis for our language arts. I dropped SWO already b/c it was tedious for her--she's a natural speller and she probably needed the next level up, but I'll pick up on spelling again in the future. I think our main problem is that she is very bright, especially in verbal skills, and I don't have the right level material for her.

So, I've come to the conslusion that instead of pushing her up into higher and higher levels of language arts, I need to give her something that will allow her more creativity, and spend less time on the material that she considers tedious. This fall I am going to be using Sonlight and I've decided to also get her their LA for level 2 w/advanced readers. I like that it has a variety of activities and that it has creative writing opportunities (which I will feel free to skip if there are too many of those). But at the same time, I think I will want more than their "natural" approach to grammar and writing. I am planning on adding in MCP word study, which is one of their optional workbooks.

Has anyone successfully used SL LA with other programs like WWE and FLL or GWG. I don't want to overkill on language arts. I was thinking of alternating what we do on which days, but I'm not sure how it would work, or if it would even be helpful. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Has anyone successfully used SL LA with other programs like WWE and FLL or GWG. I don't want to overkill on language arts. I was thinking of alternating what we do on which days, but I'm not sure how it would work, or if it would even be helpful. Any thoughts/suggestions?

It has been many years, and SL has updated their LA many times. However, when my boys were in K-2nd grade I used SL LA (at that time, this consisted of 2 dictation/copywork assignments per week, plus one creative writing assignment--to be dictated to the parent at this level). Along with the SL LA, they did grammar with Abeka or Rod and Staff. I also added 3 more dictation assignments (so they did dictation every day), and oral narration. In addition, on the days they didnt' have a SL writing assignment, they drew a picture and dictated a story about it to me. (My oldest was a bit young-for-grade, and I let him dictate a lot of his writing for a while.) So, depending on how much SL has added to their LA, and on how many other children you have, it might work out to add to it.

For my current little ones (going into 2nd and 4th grades) I require daily dictation, oral narration (CM style, with lots of detail) on everything they read or listen to for school, and one written narration (WWE style, 1-4 sentences summarizing the reading) per day. In addition, they have R&S English 4x a week, and Mad Libs once a week.

I have bought spelling workbooks several times, but we always go back to using dictation to teach spelling. This, along with reinforcing spelling in grammar and written narrations, seems to help their spelling more than anything else.

Edited by Spock