Menu

sugar snap peas

Guest Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

What do you do with them besides stir fry, or serve hot with butter, or cold with dip?

I've got loads.

I would also be very appreciative if someone could explain how to freeze them so they are actually edible when cooked. Thanks! :001_smile:

We freeze them by first blanching them by dipping the stringed pods in boiling water briefly, then in cold water. Just pop them in the boiling water, give them a quick stir, then out. You can make extra ice the day before so you have enough.

The frozen peas are never as good as fresh, though. Make sure you string them before you blanch or they will be hard to eat.

I'm not crazy about eating the previously frozen pods, so if that's the part you don't like, you can always remove the peas first. Then you don't have the soggy pods to eat. I don't because I don't want to waste the pods I've grown on purpose that way!

Shelling peas is a good chore for children, or something to do while listening to SWB's talks on CD.

Let us know how it goes!

GardenMom

You pack a lot of them carefully and ship them to me! :D We planted to late in the spring and harvested about 10 peas...sigh. I throw them in stir fry, raw cold munchies, lovely when lightly steamed and mixed with steamed baby carrots. Just love 'em.

I'm jealous, ours aren't quite ready yet! Sugar Snap peas are one of our favorites. If they survive being grazed on outside by children (and DH), I keep a big bowl in the kitchen. They rarely last long. If I had some left over, I might try to make a pea soup to freeze for winter. Dang, now I'm hungry. :D

I would leave butter and heavy sauces/dips far, far away because they mask the taste. (OK to use a light stir-fry sauce or glaze) Their flavor is fantastic ( ! ) just as is. My daughter loves to visit her best friend's house and eat ssp's freshly-pulled from the plant !

Here's a recipe I love from Jane Brody's Good Food Gourmet:

Minted Sugar Snap Salad

Salad

1 lb sugar snap peas, trimmed

1/4 c finely chopped red onion

2 T finely chopped fresh mint leaves

Dressing

2 T raspberry vinegar (I've used red wine, rice wine, or 1 T red or rice wine + 1 T balsamic - but the raspberry is good if you have it!)

1 T olive oil

1/4 t salt (optional)

1/4 t freshly ground black pepper

1/8 t sugar

1. Parboil peas for 2 min. or until bright green. Rinse immediately under cold water, drain, set aside to cool.

2. Place cooled peas in salad bowl, add onion and mint, toss ingredients to combine well.

3. To prepare dressing, combine dressing ingredients in small bowl or jar, and drizzle over the peas. Toss salad again. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Yummmm!

This cook book is awesome, by the way.