Menu

XP rec. needed: keeping up reading skills over summer

My 3rd grade niece (likely mild FASD) started out the year at 56wpm, and ended at 124wpm. This is the second year (public school, doesn't live with me) she started out scarily low, and with pull-outs/tutoring in school, got caught right up by the end of the year. She apparently loses a ton of reading proficiency over the summer, and I am sick of her requiring all this extra help when she wouldn't need it if she was attending some sort of summer school. She DOES do casual reading over the summer, but it's not enough.

What curriculum (other than "read a lot," she already does read) would you recommend for me to use with her over the summer to at least stay on the same level, if not advance a little bit?

Thanks!

sitting next to her providing feedback, correcting errors and pronunciation. 15 minutes per day should do it. Pick reading material that is a bit challenging but doesn't overwhelm her.

Additionally, see if you can get her signed up for one of those incentive driven summer reading programs. Most libraries have them. You read so many books you get stars or prizes. I think Pizza Hut sponors one as well.

Is there is an adult willing to read to her every day? If not, have her get some audio books from the library to listen to as well. This helps develop vocabulary, comprehension, and attention skills.

HTH, Stacy

What level is she reading at?

Third grade.

Additionally, see if you can get her signed up for one of those incentive driven summer reading programs. Most libraries have them. You read so many books you get stars or prizes. I think Pizza Hut sponors one as well.

This is what she did last summer, but it didn't help. I don't know if she read 15 minutes every day, but I saw her sheet, and she had read several hours (at least 5, I would guess), definitely more than some kids read over the summer. This is why I'm looking for something more concrete, and why I posted in the special needs forum. She doesn't retain information like a neurotypical child, so I'm trying to figure out what other parents do with their kids who have these types of issues to help them stay sharp.

Third grade.

This is what she did last summer, but it didn't help. I don't know if she read 15 minutes every day, but I saw her sheet, and she had read several hours (at least 5, I would guess), definitely more than some kids read over the summer. This is why I'm looking for something more concrete, and why I posted in the special needs forum. She doesn't retain information like a neurotypical child, so I'm trying to figure out what other parents do with their kids who have these types of issues to help them stay sharp.

She needs to read aloud with someone sitting next to her providing feedback.