Menu

Where to stay in/near Seattle?

My folks are flying in to Seattle this summer, and we plan to drive up and stay there a few days. I was looking at a suite-type of hotel so that we could all be together, and wow! Maybe it's just summer rates, but it is way more expensive to stay in Seattle than it is Portland! Do any of you know of any family-friendly places in Seattle or drivable suburb?(Seatac? Kirkland?)

Thanks so much! And in return I'll give you my best tip to staying in Portland... stay in Vancouver! Prices are cheaper, parking is free and you can be downtown in 10 minutes (or at the light rail in less). Vancouver is a little quieter and slower, too, and you can save your money and energy for Powell's books and the great downtown restaurants and shopping.

I would try north and east if they are going to have access to a vehicle...perhaps Bothell or Lynnwood (near Alderwood Mall). Any driving in Seattle is tough. Where will they be visiting in Seattle, because "driveable suburb" can mean a lot of things :) Even going just north of the King County border a little bit into Snohomish can make a big difference when it comes to sales tax, etc. Also, a "Bellevue" or "Kirkland" hotel address could be significantly more than a "Bothell" address, and Bothell is 10 minutes north of Kirkland, especially across the county border into Snohomish...

I'd probably stay away from SeaTac, just for safety reasons...some of the areas are pretty rough.

I am from that area and we have family over there still. I would recommend Tukwila. It is pretty much right on I-5, so it is super quick to get to downtown Seattle. Anything on the "eastside" would be more expensive - this would be Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Bothell. The other option is to go north, but on I-405 and look in Renton. It's about 1/2 hr. to go slightly north and then over the bridge on I-90 and into Seattle.

HTH,

Kimm

Here's our little secret, if you don't mind downtown Seattle. If you stay on a weekend, the Marriot Residence Inn at Lake Union will give you a room for about $70 a night. It's a nice enough business hotel with free breakfast and self-service laundry, very clean. We get a 1-bedroom suite for our family of 5. Ma and Pa get the bedroom (king size), the 2 little ones get the hide-a-bed, and we either bring a cot or ask the hotel for one for our oldest. It also has a full kitchen. The service was so-so, but you get what you pay for.

We book on Priceline to get that price.

I am from that area and we have family over there still. I would recommend Tukwila. It is pretty much right on I-5, so it is super quick to get to downtown Seattle. Anything on the "eastside" would be more expensive - this would be Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Bothell. The other option is to go north, but on I-405 and look in Renton. It's about 1/2 hr. to go slightly north and then over the bridge on I-90 and into Seattle.

HTH,

Kimm

:iagree:

Tukwila or Renton.

My parents still live in Renton, it's a nice little town with fun antique shops and a small history museum, and nearby Gean Coulon Park, a nice family park on Lake Washington with a beach and some restaurants.

The Renton library is also built over a river. I didn't think that was unique or weird until I moved away!

http://rentonwa.gov/living/default.aspx?id=842

Edited by ElizabethB

Here's our little secret, if you don't mind downtown Seattle. If you stay on a weekend, the Marriot Residence Inn at Lake Union will give you a room for about $70 a night. It's a nice enough business hotel with free breakfast and self-service laundry, very clean. We get a 1-bedroom suite for our family of 5. Ma and Pa get the bedroom (king size), the 2 little ones get the hide-a-bed, and we either bring a cot or ask the hotel for one for our oldest. It also has a full kitchen. The service was so-so, but you get what you pay for.

Did you bid to get that price?

Did you bid to get that price?

Yes, you have to set your star level to 3 or higher and select the Lake Union area. There are only 2 3-star hotels in that area, and I think they're both Marriots.

I think the closer you get to your booking time, the better chance you have of having your offer accepted.

You've got to look at staying in Edmonds.

Here's a link to a Best Western in downtown/waterfront Edmonds: http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/selectHotel.do

Edmonds is a beautiful suburb north of downtown. The Edmonds 'downtown' area is lovely -- nice restaurants, waterfront parks, right near the ferry, incredible sunsets. The waterfront park has huge driftwood, a great play area, a nice walking path. Very safe, very quiet, and not too far to drive into downtown (15 -20 min if you avoid rush hour).

I saw the Lake Union suggestion. I know that's a decent hotel, but do be aware that near Lake Union you'll be in a very urban area with all the associated urban issues. You'd also be very close to all of the fun stuff to do in downtown Seattle!

You've got to look at staying in Edmonds.

Here's a link to a Best Western in downtown/waterfront Edmonds: http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/selectHotel.do

Edmonds is a beautiful suburb north of downtown. The Edmonds 'downtown' area is lovely -- nice restaurants, waterfront parks, right near the ferry, incredible sunsets. The waterfront park has huge driftwood, a great play area, a nice walking path. Very safe, very quiet, and not too far to drive into downtown (15 -20 min if you avoid rush hour).

I saw the Lake Union suggestion. I know that's a decent hotel, but do be aware that near Lake Union you'll be in a very urban area with all the associated urban issues. You'd also be very close to all of the fun stuff to do in downtown Seattle!

Lake Union is not a "walking" community, either, but it does have great views, and had great restaurants last time I was there.

Edmonds is WONDERFUL.

I grew up in the Seattle area, and my parents and in-laws live there still and we visit when we can (one to two times a year...). It has changed soooo much. The Eastside is great, but can be really pricey. I think that Priceline is a great idea...

I just got two nights next weekend for $75/night on Priceline at the other Lake Union Hotel, the Silver Cloud. We've never been there, but it looks nice.