Menu

Has anyone one seen this: ETC online?!?!?!

Allen Academy

that looks really neat, I tried a few lessons out, they were fun! My only worry would be that I like the writing practice in the books....hmm, I guess I would have to approach the writing a different way...it looks very good and like alot of fun. thanks for the link.

I am wondering if it would be overkill to use this along with the books. I would not want to give up the books because as others have mentioned the writing practice is one of the greatest strengths of the program. Yet how fun does this seem! Just wanted to get more feedback if anyone has used it. I've never seen this before so it might be brand new!!!

Thanks for sharing. I'll most definitely keep this in mind.

Jennefer

I've been using this for about two months now with my dd. She was doing fine with ETC books but just needed additional phonics re-enforcement so this is what I decided to do. We were on ETC book 5 when we went to this.

I have found that it can be a bit repetitive-- it seems they may get the same lesson a few times until they master but that's the beauty of it as it will adjust to their needs. It has a different log-in for me as the "administrator" (please keep in mind it's also used in a classroom setting so teachers can monitor all their students, etc.) so that I can look at all sorts of reports/graphs on how she is doing and where her "trouble spots" are.

I have found the customer service to be very helpful and the cost is very reasonable- $60(I think) for a one year subscription. I try to get her to work at it for 20 minutes or so a day or I set a number of lessons that she has to complete. She loves the immediate feedback of finishing a lesson and it gives her a colored coin on her screen to show how she did (blue butterfly, etc).

Some days she dislikes it- especially when she is repeating something ;)! But overall I am happy with it and feel it's doing what I need it to do! HTH!

Can anyone confirm that there is no typing involved in any of the activities?

It's just pointing and clicking, right?

If anyone has access to the full program I'd love to hear them confirm this. I see that it's clicking for the sample activities, I just wanted to make sure it was that way for all of them. I don't want my 2nd or 3rd grader having to hunt and peck to do phonics.

It's just pointing and clicking, right?

I have full access for my dd. There is no typing that I have seen yet and we've been using it for two months. It is point and click or click and drag items. The items are just like the sample page and set up like the books. We love it here! HTH! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for posting this!

Right now we do the ETC book 1 orally (well, she'll 'x' or 'o' but not write out the words) - and my daughter loves being on the computer - so...I think this might be perfect for her.

I just have to decide if I want to pay the extra $ for it. =)

Just wanted to let you all know that the discounted pricing for larger groups of students applies to homeschoolers. I called on this today, thinking that if I could get a number of families from our homeschool group interested, we could qualify for some pretty big savings. If you have 11 - 25 students, the cost goes down to $45 per student, and if over 26 students, it's just $35 per student. This is great info if you have a large network of homeschool friends!

Blessings,

Barbie :-)

Just thought I'd share.

ok, maybe it's just the mood that dd is in - maybe not....but

My almost 4 year old is currently on page 28 in book 1 and I just sat down with her to check out the online version. After doing it for a tiny bit she decided she was done and wanted to do the workbook instead. She said she likes it better (the workbook). Hmm. I'll try it again a different day - just to see if it's the mood she's in or if she really doesn't like doing it online.

I was shocked b/c she normally loves doing things online. (like starfall.com and preschool games)