Menu

Grammar for gifted/LD

School is clicking now for my dd6. She is now functioning above grade level and experts disagree on a diagnosis of dysgraphia. Personal I don't believe we dealing with dysgraphia, she loves writing and her ability is improving. She needs short lessons with movement time between or she retains nothing(no she not ADD). Right now she on a 2 to 6 grade reading level, and she wasn't reading 5 months ago. She opinionated about what materials she uses. I think she trying to avoid stuff that gives her issues, not a battle of wills. No colored pictures or anything she finds baby-ish(no vision issues).

I need to find a grammar program or book that starts with the very basic and does not read like it was created for a young child.

Edited by homefront

I used GWG 3 with my 1st grader this year. No color, very few pictures, nothing babyish. It took about 10 minutes per lesson. The worksheets are straightforward. I did any lengthy writing for him with him dictating his answers.

I've tried FLL. It worked well until the concept of reading was understood. Now she finding it not challenging enough (her perceptive). We do copywork & narration work daily.

Does GWG 3 still touch on the basics?

Edited by homefront

I've tried FLL. It worked well until the concept of reading was understood. Now she finding it not challenging enough (her perceptive). We do copywork & narration work daily.

Does GWG 3 still touch on the basics?

Have you tried FLL3, or just 1&2? You will find that FLL3 is a different format than FLL1&2. It definitely is written for the older child. The child has his own workbook, basic grammar concepts are covered, and the tone is not at all babyish. I love the way diagramming is introduced and concepts are reviewed periodically. IMHO FLL3 is a huge jump from 1&2. It's the best intro to grammar that I have used yet. (I'm using it with my 6th child next year)

HTH,

Leanna