Menu

What are you all doing for 1st grade this year?

TracyR

I am happy to say I will be homeschooling my girls on my own this year.

I have planned out what I want to do with my older two because they are so close in age and I can combine them with several subjects.

I'm just not sure what I want to do for 1st and thought I would glean off of everyone's ideas.

I have a 1st grader that will be going on to 2nd around Christmas. We are doing Heart of Dakota: Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory - along with CLE for Math, Bible, and Language Arts. For Phonics, we are finishing Phonics Pathways and working throiugh the Explode the Code books (as well as ETC online). As we go through phonics, he is reading the level 1 and level 2 readers as they interest him. :) He is learning cursive with New American Cursive. Once a week or so, we do the Artpacs from CLE as well as a lesson in CLE Music.

Finishing up OPGTR with ETC.

Singapore math 1 alternated with Saxon 2.

We're doing a 4 week review of letter formation and then starting WWE and FLL.

SOTW 1

science: Evan-Moore books for plants, animals, human body. Supplemented with lots of library books and we'll notebook what we do. If we finish early, I've also got some Evan-Moore geography books that we'll go through.

Ambleside literature, picture study, music study & nature notebooks. Some MaryAnn Kohl art books for actual art projects.

Spanish exposure

Violin, Awana, and several physical activities

I've always made sure to focus on phonics and math until about 2nd grade. My 1st grader will be using LLATL Blue (phonics, literature) and R&S Math 1 leading into Singapore Primary math 1A.

As far as other subjects go he will just sit in and do what he wants.

I was going to write it all out, but then I remembered I blogged about it (with LOTS of links) so you can check it out here.

I will not expect the same things from my first grader as I do my third grader, but they will be doing history and science together.

Also, when you read the post, Thane is my first grader. :001_smile:

I did my own, mostly hands on science until December, then bought REAL bio I. Many field trips. David Attenborough vids.

SOTW with narration and lots of art-of-the-time books and Eyewitness books.

ETC and SWR, thought I'd move into PLL, but moved into EFTTC instead.

Z-B handwriting

SM 1 A and B, with a lot of games (dice, cards)

Vox Music masters and the symphony

Artistic Pursuits and museums and How to Look at Art

Intro to piano with mommy.

Lots of outdoor time, swimming, etc. Lots of legos, Zoobs, architectural blocks, tinkertoys, with audiobooks like Island of the Blue Dolphin, Boxcar Children, Trumpet of the Swan, etc, or classical music in the background.

My oldest will be in 1st this year; I'm teaching her and her younger brother (K) together for history, science, art, and read-alouds. We're delaying starting the four-year history cycle until next year when my ds5 can join us. Here's what we're planning for 1st:

• Phonics/Spelling:Spell to Write and Read (continue the weekly spelling lists; we got through List K this year in K)
  • Writing: Writing with Ease Level 1
  • Grammar: First Language Lessons 1/2 with CD (we're going to skip some repetitive lessons and the narration and dictation to do both years this year)
  • Reading: independent reading and read-alouds with narration drawn from a variety of sources:

[*]Math: Singapore Primary Mathematics 1B/2A, Standards edition with facts practice using online fact drill programs (although I'll have to double-check the placement once I get the books; we're switching from Saxon)

[*]History: American History overview tweaked from the free online schedule from OurLosBanos.com--following their scope and sequence and some book suggestions but mostly subbing the D'Aulaire books and other titles from the Beautiful Feet Early American program, selected chapters from Eggleston's Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans (also on the Baldwin site), a couple of historical fiction titles, and activities from the Laurie Carlson books

[*]Science: God's Design for Life: The Animal Kingdom from Answers in Genesis, supplemented with living books to accompany each week's topic and a few extra ideas from Janice Van Cleave's Biology for Every Kid

[*]Nature Study: one chapter weekly from the series of nature readers by Clara Dillingham Pierson (Among the Forest People, Among the Pond People, etc. available free at the Baldwin Online literature site) to roughly coordinate with the topics studied in science, along with (I hope!) weekly trips to the park/pond for nature walks

[*]Art: Artistic Pursuits K-3, Book 1, probably done at half pace along with Come Look with Me: American Art for art appreciation to coordinate with history studies

[*]Music: Kids will do this in a co-op setting as part of a choir/very basic theory class, but I still need to find something for composer study/parts of an orchestra/that sort of thing. Don't know what I'll use for that. Also planning to weave in a series of CDs of Colonial, Revolutionary, Frontier and Civil War songs to coordinate with history.

[*]Christian Studies: unsure what we'll do here. We read through Catherine Vos' The Child's Story Bible this year and loved it. We will be memorizing the children's catechism this year.

[*]Poetry Memorization: don't know yet. Maybe The Harp and Laurel Wreath; maybe selections from Living Memory. I may just choose some selections from The Oxford Book of Children's Verse.

Here is our 1st grade plan.

Literature/ Culture

Ambleside Year 1 Lit and Poetry

Queen's Memorization Copywork

Language Arts

Penmanship

MCP Phonics

Wordly Wise

Easy Grammar

Various Readers

Math

Kumon Math

Math Matters

Primary Challenge Math

Science

WP World Around Me

Nature Walks

History, Culture, Religious Studies, Art

WP Quest for the Middle Ages (tagging along with big brother)

Extras

Calvert Discoveries in Music

RS Farsi

HTH-

Mandy

Language Arts

CW Primer Fall and EFTTC (second half)

Spelling Workout B

GD Italic

Plenty of reading of course.

Math

Saxon 2

Science

Physics experiments w/ big sister

History/Geography

Big sis is doing SOTW 4, so I'm planning to do a world geography year and then start SOTW 1 in 2nd. Every week we'll study a different part of the world, with an atlas, DK's Children Around the World, and lots of folktales etc.

Latin

Prima Latina

Memory Work

Poems and scriptures

And Musikgarten.

I still have a few things up in the air because i will be adding in my DS and my DD is a spread across K, 1 & 2 in terms of ability but what we are doing for certain is -

AAS 2

MEP 1 (finishing)

SOTW 1 with activity guide

home made geography, science (animal focus) & cultural art

read aloud literature as per Ambleside

picture study as per Ambleside

informal nature study

penmanship - have been DIYing but might go to HWOT

she is reading on a 5th grade level so no reading instruction just having her read good books

Will be adding some combination of BJU math and Right Start also probably WWE and FFL although may continue to DIY copywork, dictation & narration and delay grammar a bit.

I think that is everything.

Guest 4boys

We are just finishing up 1st, here's what we did:

LA ~ ETC 2-4, HWT My Printing Book, Pathway readers, McGuffey primer and misc. copywork, journal writing

Science ~ Let's Read and Find Out science books covering animals, plants, space, human body, earth

Bible ~ Studying God's Word B

Math ~ Horizons 1

Social Studies ~ My First Map Book

Music ~ learning songs with the piano, began piano lessons with me in January

Art ~ misc. projects, drawing, painting, etc.

Plus lots of reading material!

It is interesting to see what everyone else is doing.

My second son will start first grade in August. Here's our plan:

Language Arts -

finish OPG, start FLL 1, WWE 1, penmanship as needed, maybe Spelling Power

Math -

continue RightStart Level B, then start Level C; will probably do CER Math Masters once every week or two with older brother (applied math)

History -

undecided; whatever his older brother does (founding of the U.S. or SOTW 2, probably)

Science -

A Child's Geography: Explore His Earth and lots of books about the earth and space

Art -

continue Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book 1, then on to Book 2

Music -

continue piano lessons

Here's what we're planning for next year:

Language Arts:

Phonics: finish OPGtTR

Grammar: FLL

Writing: WWE, using copywork & dictation from history and lit.

Literature: supplemental literature from SOTW, along with lit. from a variety of sources

Poetry Memorization: Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization (IEW)

Bible: continue reading through The Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos

Math: Saxon 2

Science: Biology at co-op, along with Kingfisher First Animal Encyclopedia, DK First Human Body Encyclopedia, and Green Thumbs

History: SOTW

Here's what I'm planning for 1st grade:

Finish up OPGTTR (continuing over the summer)

FLL 1

WWE 1

AAS 1

Penmanship: Abeka Writing with Phonics OR Presidential Penmanship in the Abeka font OR homemade

Reading:

Books he will read: beginning books like Amelia Bedilia, Nate the Great, etc.

Read Alouds: Good classic children's lit.

Bible: continue reading in The Children's Illustrated Bible, Victor Journey through the Bible, and Keys for Kids

SOTW 2 + AG w/ some coordination to other resources from Paula's Archives

Science: Finish up Life Science - WTM/Trivium Academy, Move onto Earth & Space Science using God's Design Series, Apologia, and/or Elemental Science (still deciding).

Art: Atelier

Math: Horizons 1 minus the overload in amount of problems and plus LOTS of games & activities

Music: instrument lessons + composer study (TBD)

PE: soccer or football, TaeKwonDo

Spanish: Muzzy, phrase of the week, free online resources, possibly Rosetta Stone & lessons from a local friend

New Testament - (I've not set the specifics in stone. We'll use the Bible obviously, and likely go through chronologically...and then idk what?)

SWR

WWE 1

FLL 1

AO yr 1 (I'm pulling my own copywork/narrations from AO for WWE....so those aren't really 2 seperate subjects...and, yes, I'm aware of the differences in SWB's and CM's techniques/goals for copywork/narration.:))

Singapore Math + Miquon + RightStart Math Games

Apologia Elementary Astronomy & Zoo I (We alternate these as desired, and are are doing the insect portion this summer - will do birds in the fall)

Hey, Andrew, Teach Me Some Greek I

Mind Benders/Tinman Press Enrichment packs

Piano/Music by Mommy

Dd will be officially starting 1st grade in the fall. I think we'll finish up LLATL Blue and Singapore 1A (with Miquon and Math Mammoth supplements) this summer. I plan to use either Pathway Readers 1.2 and 1.3 or Calvert's last 3 readers until about December for reading practice before starting LLATL Red. We'll keep going with SM 1B because it's a very good fit for dd.

I plan to start WWE 1 and FLL with her over the summer. She'll also be starting Beautiful Handwriting for Children as her cursive program.

We're about half way through our SL 1/2 program (I modified this a lot, but I used SL's old Core 1 and Core 2 as the base). We should finish up in December and we'll start a heavily modified version of WP's American Story.

We finished up Little Otter's Science and I think we may try RS4K's Chemistry next year at some point. We do lots of outside science classes both in Houston and locally, so I don't stress about science at home very much.

I plan to use Espanol para Chicos y Grandes and La Clase Divertida for Spanish (although I added in LCD because I got it really, really cheap).

Dd will do her second year of Kindermusik Young Child and hs TKD next year. She'll also take ballet and do some sports.

My upcoming 1st grader's plans:

Bible Study Guide for All Ages

CLE Math 1

Reading Made Easy (finish)

AAS ( After RME is finished)

HWT & Copywork ( might do WWE, not sure)

TOG yr 2 (mostly just using SOTW & narrations as older kids do TOG)

Interest lead science

Living Memory

Edited by Quiver0f10

What we used in is my signature. We are wrapping up our last week right now... YAY!!

For science, I used library books for animals, but never had a good spine. For human body, I used the Usborne First Encyclopedia of Human Body as a spine and it was awesome, and for plants I used chapters from Rod and Staff's Patterns of Nature and I used tons of library books for experiments and extra info for everything.

Finish up OPG then move on to FLL, SWO, and WWE.

RightStart math

Story of the World

Science a la WTM

Easy French Jr.

God Made Music

relaxed piano lessons with Grandma

art and music appreciation with Ambleside

with my rising 1st grader who won't be 6 until September:

MFW (she will do the 2nd and 3rd grade supplement with the older 3 for EX-1850, or hang back with her little sister in MFW K, whatever she wants)

Finish Saxon Phonics 1

Pathway Readers Grade 2

A Reason for Handwriting B

FLL

WWE1

Singapore Math 1a/b

I am just focusing on the basics as my youngest is far from reading. Our plan is short and simple.

Reading: Barton's Reading and Spelling

Writing: copywork

Math: Doing our own thing but using RightStart as a loose guide

History and Science: she has no interest in these so I will just let her follow along with her siblings unit studies if she so desires.

My plans for my first grader are:

finish OPGTR

WWE1/Abeka Oral Language Exercises

my own handwriting pages using the Startwrite CD

SOTW1 w/AG

CLP nature reader1 and/or Little Otter's Science

Drawing with Children

Greek Alphabetarion

The Story of the Orchestra

plenty of playtime with baby brother, music practice with older siblings. I think this is everything

This year my first grader did:

Bible: Animal devotional books

FIAR (we chose books that allowed us to study countries and animals around the world)

Time4Learning for math and language arts

Italic handwriting

Blessings,

Laura

What we're using starting in September:

MCP Math Level A

Miquon Math Orange Book

Tanglewood's Really Reading Program (review)

Spectrum Phonics Grade 2

Handbook of Nature Study (studying birds, trees, weather and climate)

Young Discoverers Series: The Human Body, Weather & Climate

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding K-2

KidSpeak Spanish

Getty-Dubay's Italic Handwriting Book B

Living Memory

SOTW 1 and Activity Book

Poetry for Young People Series: Emily Dickinson

A Child's Garden of Verses (Robert Louis Stevenson)

Mike Venezia's Greatest Composers Series: Bach and Mozart

Daddy's homemade art program

plus an array of living books to support our topics :)

Edited by sagira

What we have planned (some already started):

Math: Right Start B & Miquon Orange + Red

Language Arts: ABeCeDarian Reading B-2, All About Spelling 2, First Language Lessons, Writing With Ease

History: Story of the World: Ancient Times w/activity guide

Science: Sonlight Science 1

Other: La Clase Divertida 2, Atelier Art 1, The Violin Book 1 & 2

I'm still trying to decide whether to do a handwriting program. If I do, I'll most likely go with Zaner-Bloser.

We may also recycle some of the books from Five in a Row as a break every now and then.

Here's our plan for first:

Singapore 2

Italics C

Spelling for Writing 2

CW Primers

Song School Latin

French with big sister (adapted :001_smile:)

Botany

World History-Middle Ages

American History

Arts-Suzuki Piano, Theory, Art with big sister (History of Art Sculpture), Artist Study (Monet) and Composer Study (Chopin)+plus fun crafts, drawing and watercolors

+lots of books

Ballet, Bike riding, scootering (is that a word?:D) and swimming

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Well, I figure I either need to post here now or go over to the other thread about those who haven't yet finalized plans for next year. I just want to pretend a timer has buzzed and this has to be my final answer, because I'm finally tired of tossing around all the options!

We do school 4 days week with all day Friday reserved for nature.

Language: WWE/FLL/AAS, CM Style American Poetry Study

Math: Singapore/MOTL

History: Re-Living American History (Native Americans-Civil War, homemade)

Science: R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey

Art: NEH Picturing America/CM Style American Art Study, Drawing With Children: Nature Journal Style, and free-range art

Music: Guitar, CM Style American Music Study

Foreign Language: Rosetta Stone Spanish

Physical Education: Gymnastics, Swimming, T-Ball

Nature Study: TPWD Keep Texas Wild & Outdoor Kids/Family Program Resources, Texas Wildscapes Backyard Habitat Certification Program, Outdoor Hour Challenges

Handicrafts/Life Skills: Carpentry, Quilting/Embroidery, Restoring 1970 Buick Skylark with Dad

I'm pretty sure this is what we are going to be doing next year for my 1st grader:

Language Arts:

Explode the Code 7 & 8 (then maybe Spelling Workout A or B)

Growing with Grammar 1

WWE 1

Elson Second Reader

Fairy Tales with Veritas Press Lit Guide

Penmanship:

Queen's Pictures in Cursive series

Math:

Singapore Math 1B and 2A, incl. IP and CWP

History:

Finish SOTW Ancients, using Mosaic History to schedule and add'l read alouds

Science:

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey, Life level 1

RS4K Biology Pre-Level 1 (Text only)

French:

Ecoutez, Parlez (and various dvds & cds)

Piano:Pianimals

Music Appreciation:

Themes to Remember

P.E.

Ballet and swimming

My 2nd dd will be starting 1st grade in September. The plan is:

reading - continue OPGTR

math - BJU Math 1

writing - WWE 1

grammar - FLL 1

science - noeo chemistry 1 (with 3rd grade sister)

history - SOTW 3 (with sister)

handwriting practice (either cursive like sister or print)

bible study - CBS lesson (with big sis)

art - drawing/or painting with Daddy

music - try to start piano or guitar

We'll be doing: (for now anyways..)

Bible: Bible Stories for Children and kids4truth.com devotionals

Math: Horizons math 1 and Miquon orange and red

Phonics: OPGtTR (finishing)

Literature: Ambleside Online year 1

History: SOTW 1 with Act. Guide, plus a few Ambleside selections (50 Famous Stories Retold and Trial and Triumph)

Science: WTM rotation, plus nature study

Music: Beethoven, Mozart and Vivaldi

Art: Artistic Pursuits (?maybe?) and picture study of Cassat, Monet

and Renoir

Edited by urpedonmommy

My ds won't be six until the end of October and we school year round, but here is what we'll be using in the fall, we've started most already:

English: AAS, ETC, WWE, FLL

Math: RightStart plus Miquon

Science: REAL Science Life plus Outdoor Hour nature study

History: SOTW 1 with AG (with tons of supplementary books)

Literature: AO year 1

I'm not entirely satisfied with REAL science right now. My son loves it (because he loves all science), but I'm looking at other options, maybe BFSU.

ETA:

We're also doing Quran (memorization), Arabic, and Islamic Studies, but without curricula.

Edited by Bayt ul-Hikmah

Language Arts - Sing Spell Read and Write, Spelling Workout, Handwriting without Tears and reading aloud bunch of library books.

Math - MUS Alpha

History - SOTW 1 and activity book

Science - NOEO Biology 1

Music - lessons with Daddy

Art - lots of crafts and drawing. I'm planning to add something else.

My daughter will be six in November, so in public school this would be her kindergarten. But in practice, I guess it will be sort of a transition K/ 1st year.

Reading: ETC 4-however far we get, keep working through McGuffy's speller (for reading), reading books (real books, CLP Nature Reader 2, R&S 2), practice phonograms.

handwriting practice

Math: RS B (second half)/ C, supplemented by Math U See Alpha and Beta

science: Mommy designed units largely utilizing library books, aim to do an experiment from Mudpies to Magnets or demonstration from Critical Thinking Press Dev Critical Thinking thru Physical Science.

history: Mommy designed US history survey

geography: Galloping the Globe and use Montessori maps to learn countries of Asia, Africa, and Central America, work on names of land/ water forms

read alouds: Five in a Row, fairy/ folk tales, good quality picture books and start listening to chapter books

Religion: Bible stories, Leading Little Ones to God, church activities, and maybe Explorer's Bible Study

Spanish: La Clase Diverdita

Other Stuff: art projects from Mary Ann Kohl's books, Musikgarten Music Maker Around the World class, swimming/ gymnastics/ dance classes, sports teams, Classical Conversations co-op

Edited by Terabith

We're just finishing up 1st grade here. We did:

SL Core 2

WWE 1

1/2 of RS C

A Reason for Handwriting B

CLE 2 (dropped FLL 1/2 and started this a couple of months ago)

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com for geography

Classical Conversations & IEW Poetry memorization program for memory work

It's been a nice year. I've particularly enjoyed working through RS with my daughter. SL is always a favorite here as well.

Lisa

Carrington will start 1st grade this fall. I am going to keep her on the same curriculum they did at her school. With maybe a little bit of difference. She seemed to do really well so I decided not to change it up to much.

We are doing Abeka- Phonics, and Language Arts, BJU History, and Science, I bought the Cursive Handwriting with out tears 3rd grade (her handwriting is better than mine), I am going to read to them out of the bible and I bought some character building bible curriculum from NCHE conference. I am also going to do a little bit of the First language lessons 1&2 with the cd, I want to do the new BJU Spanish but I don't know for sure ( I bought the Teach Them Spanish) and a sing-along Spanish cd. I got the Abeka art books, but my mom is an art teacher and she came up with so many ideas. We have already done a few canvas drawings that we got from the blank canvas sheets on sale at Michaels. I let each child design it and hang it up so they could take pride in their work. I don't know if we will do ACSI math or Abeka, Carrington's school did ACSI. I have also bought some Lapbook units from In The Hands Of a Child. I got one of Nemo because we are going back to Disney and I thought it would be fun to study the fish and the Aquarium. I got another on Charlotte's Web and one on Narnia. I am going to try to do some experiments from the Organic Puppet Theatre. Carrington likes to scrapbook to so we are going to put together a scrapbook for her. I am going to work with the boys so they each have a scrapbook. Carrington loves to read like me, so we will do reading and journaling. She also does ballet/tap, horseback riding, Awanas, and Soccer. I am going to try to balance everything out and maybe school from 8-12 and someday we will do a few things after lunch. I wan to visit the Museums we have alot of free museums in NC. We want to go to the zoo and the NC aquarium. I want to do alot of hands on things. We are going to start in August. We are also going to the Creation Museum this summer, I want to get some books to read at home. I love their science curriculum for when the kids are older. :001_smile:

Ds will be starting 1st grade in the fall. Here's my plan.

Phonics/Language Arts/Reading ~ Abeka

Math ~ MOTL

Writing ~ Abeka Cursive Writing with Phonics

Those are the main focus. He'll also be tagging along with big brother for the read alouds and whatever history and science we end up doing. I'm really only concerned with the three R's though, reading, writing and arithmetic. :D

Dot is a chronological Kindergartener doing first grade academics and reading third-grade level books. This is what we're planning for this year:

CLE 100 Math & Language Arts

Barnes & Nobles' "Classic Starts" series for reading:

A Little Princess

The Secret Garden

Heidi

Pollyanna

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

The Wind in the Willows

Swiss Family Robinson

The Jungle Book

Ann of Green Gables

Gulliver's Travels

The Story of King Arthur and His Knights

Oak Meadow gr. 1

History & science will be library books and DVDs (lots of "Magic School Bus", "Mr. Wizard", "Great Americans for Children", etc.)

French tapes in the car, and we found a local family who speaks only French at home with little girls her age.

Gifted & Talented Reading, Writing & Math workbooks (Kindergarten & 1st grade) as supplimentary busy work for when we need her to sit quietly while her brothers work.

My DD will be using Little Hearts for his Glory.

I haven't decided if I'm going to use Singapore or CLE math for her though, and we still haven't chosen a phonics program. (She is SN, and so she is behind a bit in that area.) Right now we're just focusing on letter sounds and blending.

Composer & Picture Study: Classical Kids & Come Look with Me series.

Songs: Sing every day for fun!

Memory Work: Simply Charlotte Mason system.

English: WWE1, FLL, MCP Phonics, McGuffey Spelling Book, McGuffey 2nd reader

Saxon Math (finish 1, then 2)

Vos Child's Story Bible

Poetry & Lit. -- Homemade plan based off AO

History: History Odyssey Ancients Level 1

Science & Geography (loved here): Earlybird Science from Singapore, James Herriot Treasury, Paddle to the Sea, Burgess Bird Book, Nature Study, Map Skills

Art: Lots of fun

Teatime with picture books

Piano

Norwegian with Dad