Menu

How do YOU do Nature Study?

Sue G in PA

I'm gathering my supplies. Reading my books. Preparing to begin our Nature Study. I just have a few questions:

1. Is your Nature Study formal and organized? What I mean is do you pick a topic, read about it and then have the dc go and look for some particular, specific animal, aspect of nature based upon what you've read?

2. Do you "wing it"? To be more specific...do you just take your sketch pad and pencils and tell the dc to find something interesting to them? Then, you talk about it, perhaps read about it when you return home if they are interested in learning more?

3.Are you somewhere in between?

4. Do you only do Nature Study as part of a more formal science curriculum? Example: you are studying Botany and so your nature study is ONLY studying plants, trees, pollinators, etc.?

Part of me wants to "wing it" and let my dc discover nature at their own pace, own interest levels, etc. with no rhyme or reason to it. The other part of me just can't wrap my brain around the "looseness" of it. HELP! I'd like to get started so when the baby comes in a month my dc are well equipped to do some nature observations on their own (in the backyard) while I'm recuperating/resting w/baby. KWIM? Sorry so many questions...so new to this...but so excited!

Check out Barb's Heart of Harmony blog with her Green Hour Challenges--they're short 10-15 minute weekly assignments designed to get you out and observing nature, and also utilize the Handbook of Nature Study. Based on what you find, you can come up with topics for further study during the week.

The thought of nature study is so appealing to me, but I need some structure. I can't function without a plan (well, I can, but I like having a weekly assignment that's different each time) and this has been perfect for us. In fact, other than one walk for an Artistic Pursuits assignment, this is the first time this year we've intentionally been out to study nature. (Of course we do go outside just to play.)

I could never imagine or plan for all of the things that have interested and excited my children through nature study. I do a short formal science every year following the WTM recommendations that satisfies my need to plan.

For nature study, I take my children outside. We go into the "open space" behind our house; we go into our yard; we go to the same park once a week throughout spring, summer, and fall then when the weather allows during the winter. The park has a two lakes, a stream, and miles of trails. We spend one day a week during the summer at the park (different park every week) with friends. We leave after breakfast, take lunch, and come home for dinner. We grow a garden and feed birds. We go hiking and camping. We take trips to the beach, and we snorkel. I let my kids play in the rain and build ****s. We go to the zoo at least once a month and more often in nice weather.

I follow that up with living books used for readers and read-alouds and lots of trips to the library.

For us, I have worked hard to make nature a part of our lives. It sounds like a lot, but it works well for us. My kids are much happier when they have spent time outside.

I don't. I want to do both #1 & #2 of your list. I want to do the green hour challenges. But I don't. HOWEVER, on Thursday, while we were at the car dealer, having dh's car repaired, my 2 little boys started pulling up weeds near the road. My 5yo noticed that all the roots were same (lots of little roots w/ dirt stuck to them) and one was different (like a skinny carrot). I told him that the different one was a taproot but I couldn't remember the name of the other kind. And we just did Botany last semester! Anyway I did a quick google on my iPhone and ta-da the very nicely put together Backyard Nature came up! Fibrous roots!

I think for your purpose now, #2 would be good -- then you can send them out to draw and come in to show you & the baby. :)

Spending a whole weekend in nature is bound to come up with numerous things to study. We always pack nature journals, microscope, binoculars, magnifying glasses, containers with lids to hold things we find be it pine cones or tadpoles, a plastic wash tub (that fits in the sink) for holding tadpoles, turtles or whatever we find, id books, Comstock's book, etc.

Really, no matter whether you are in the middle of mother nature's finest or in your own backyard, explore what's around you. When we lived in town we'd find cicada bug skins all over after they hatched, snails, worms, butterflies in my garden, mosquito larvae in our tiny pond, trees, leaves, seeds, etc. Start by noticing what's around you. Visit nearby state parks and see what kind of nature center they have that show plants, animals, geography (like glacial, cave or water features), etc. of the area and go on hikes looking for things mentioned at the nature center.

You'll find as you explore through the seasons that things change. Maple trees are ready for tapping in Feb., monarchs are hatching in Aug., aquatic insects are thriving in July, the geese come in March and leave in October and so on. You can go to the same places oodles of times and find something new each time! Study and enjoy the rhythms of nature. :)

I love, love, love learning and teaching about nature and the environment. It is my dream to wear the uniform of a state park naturalist someday. :)

it always seemed too contrived, so I gave up. We LOVE nature and being outdoors, but what fits us is to just do The Green Hour each day, period. We may talk about the clouds in the sky or the dew on the grass. My ds might dig up some dirt and look for little creatures in it. He and his sister might lift up rocks to look for newts. My ds might examine a snail or try to catch a butterfly with his net. We might collect leaves and flowers. We might just go out and enjoy the day, but The Green Hour is not contrived and it allows nature study to happen naturally. We love it! I blogged about it too. Click on "Mother Nature" at my blog to read more. All the best!

I just sent the children outdoors and let them dig around and explore in the yard and garden. We talk about the animals who visit us and I keep insect and bird field guides handy.

In the fall we will collect leaves and seed pods and try to make collections and identify them. In the early summer we may spend some time drawing the flowers in the garden.

As we walk and go places we will talk about the trees and the clouds and the weather and any other little creature who passes by.

Currently, I am picking an animal a week and we are reading non-fiction and fiction books about the animal so that everyone knows more about its habits.

Basically, I have tried the formal stuff and just find that getting out there and experiencing nature with or without a camera or sketchbook is just wonderful.:)

We do both, formal and informal study.

I use Cindi Rushton's Nature Study the Easy Way for ideas, but generally, just spending lots of time outdoors brings out the Nature Study in all of us. We don't schedule it every week, which fits my need for spontanaety, and we certainly don't draw everything we see. I liken it to reading books--sometimes you want comprehension questions and vocab study thru the book, and sometimes you just want to read the darn thing for pleasure! LOL

Dd has a nature notebook, which doesn't have much in it this year. She's still learning, tho. And we do nature study as an "extra," in an unschooled sort of way.We do more formal science on other topics.

Maybe when she's a little older, we'll really keep a beautiful notebook. Right now, it's going to contain drawings and narrations when we get to it--you can see my blog for her Kindergarten and First grade examples (I think it's under January entries).

For nature study, I take my children outside. We go into the "open space" behind our house; we go into our yard; we go to the same park once a week throughout spring, summer, and fall then when the weather allows during the winter. The park has a two lakes, a stream, and miles of trails. We spend one day a week during the summer at the park (different park every week) with friends. We leave after breakfast, take lunch, and come home for dinner. We grow a garden and feed birds. We go hiking and camping. We take trips to the beach, and we snorkel. I let my kids play in the rain and build ****s. We go to the zoo at least once a month and more often in nice weather.

I 'ditto' that. That's all we do for nature study. We go to the park once a week take lunch and come home for dinner. We, too, camp as a family. In the summer we go to the beach several times a week. We hike at different places throughout the area with friends once a week. It is amazing what we find as we go on these adventures.

We do the opposite of what you ask. We go out first, bring home whatever we find (if possible), find out what it is, and if it was very interesting get a book or watch a movie. That's it. My kid's don't even know they are studying anything.

Susie

Momma...what is this bug?? I don't know...let's find out....get the book.

Time to plant the garden. Let's turn the soil. Look....there's a long earthworm. Let's read about it. These are pansies....see the leaves...let's look inside one. Can we draw a picture of itand label its parts. Look at the snow..see the deer tracks...oh look! Whose tracks are those??

Go outside and play!

Yes, you can keep that spider for today...but make sure you let him go....

WOW!!! Look at the woodpecker peck that tree!!!!

OH no...there is an insect eating our zucchini! What kind is it?? How can we protect our food??

Nature study teaches us so many lessons ...every day...but here it is very natural LOL I try really hard to make these types of learning (nature study, music appreciation, picture study etc. ) part of our lifestyle and atmospere of living. It is the part of our homeschool that employs beauty and wonder, curiosity and awe in our creator.

Blessings,

Faithe

Well, nature study was just part of my daily life growing up on a 350 acre farm. We lived in an area surrounded by what is now Big South Fork National Park, Pickett State Park, Rugby (now part of BSF), Pocket Wilderness, etc. We hiked and jeeped and camped as a family and with friends. We talked to older people who knew herb lore, weather lore, and farming by the almanac. All this was a part of our community and our heritage. So for me, nature study is just part of how we live our life.

My yard in my city home is planted with trees and shrubs and perennials that provide food for wildlife. It may not look nicely manicured in every season, because I let my echinacea stand through the winter so the birds can have the seeds, for instance, but it serves its intended purpose. We watch birds and now other critters, daily, outside our kitchen window. My kind-hearted husband is as into feeding them as any of us.

I schedule regular field trips for our hs community throughout the year that will get us all out into nature to look around. We go creeking, which is finding a shallow creek area in which to observe wildlife. We go hiking, camping and canoing when we can, which isn't nearly often enough.

We wander our yard or some city park on a bug safari.....

I take them to some of my favorite Eastern Woodland areas to show them wildflowers in the early spring and talk about medicinal uses for those......

We go to our nationally recognized city cemetary, which also happens to be an arboretum, and do tree walks, collecting nuts and seeds, in the fall.....

But more than those types of things, we notice nature all around us as we move through our daily lives. Someone I know surprised me once by telling me that she saw a redtailed hawk on her road one day. It's a road I travel often. I see hawks on it every time I'm on it. I was not surprised by that, but by the fact that I guess most people don't see the wildlife all around them every day.

We have a lot of pastureland interspersed throughout our town and hawks, as well as peregrines, are common here. I probably see an average of a half dozen daily as I drive around town. Are they invisible to everyone else? Once, we saw a young hawk take a pigeon in the yard at the side of our library and we watched him pluck the feathers in preparation for eating it......

This past summer, a young fox was playing on the road beside my house. Just a month or so ago, I was on the interstate, on my way to Louisville, early in the morning, and I saw a field with about a dozen deer grazing, a whole flock of wild turkey strutting, and a couple of coyotes stalking them......all at ____ mph while going down the interstate. My children are amazed by these things but I think it has made them search more deligently themselves for the nature all around them. It's like being on a treasure hunt every day, no matter where you're going or what you're doing......

So I think you can certainly do formal nature study, but I think that working to incorporate nature study into your daily life will making a larger, long term impact......

Regena

...to even answer this thread, because I wouldn't call what I deem 'Nature Study' formal, at all...and I'm barely involved. :-)

Seriously..."Yes, you can keep those, but let them go in a day or two"..."I don't know, let's go look it up", or..."I don't know, why don't YOU go look it up".

We utilize resources on the web (for local wildlife), and Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study, as well as other various and sundry things we have around here, and sometimes we use sentences about things the Littles have found or seen for copywork (there's blank space at the top of the pages of their copybooks, so there's also drawing involved), and I'm going to steal Crissy's idea and suggest that they make backyard 'Field Guides'...but that's the extent of it.

And just that alone teaches a *lot*. Not that organized isn't good, but I honestly believe that Nature is a great classroom, all on its own, and sometimes...the less we adults are involved, the better. ;-) (Don't take that as a knock if you organize and direct your kids' study...I might just be looking for ways to justify my laziness, lol.)

We are infant nature study folk... We are just at the beginning of learning how to do an actual Nature Study in that way you are asking about. Sure the kids spend a lot of time out doors and their dad is wonderful at taking them on hikes', etc. But what we are now doing is different. It is hard to put it into words... We are enjoying nature, discovering new things we might not have seen before, investigating anything of interest at home, and soaking it all in.

Like Kristiana suggested, I would encourage anyone that is interested in learning more about nature studies to visit Barb's blog and do the Green Hour Challenges. The greatest and most important thing I have learned is that they aren't as complicated as I first thought. And I don't need to set aside a lot of time to take a "Nature Walk".

When I saw folks posting her about Cindy's book, I thought to myslef... I know I have that that book... I know it... So with little search (thank goodness) I found it. :) I am just starting to read it and am only a couple chapters in. I am not to sure about the book yet, though I have come to a conclusion... Nature studies are basically the same, no matter which person you get your information from. They are accomplishing the same thing: Learning to find a LOVE for/in nature and going from there.

We are a combination of #3. I need the direction the assignments from Barb provide. Honestly, I don't know how far along in Nature Studies we would be if I didn't have her encouragement. Wait, I do know... Not far at all. LOL I have created Notebooking Pages to record or findings, and I am educating myself about nature studies. I have a LOT to learn and am learning along with the kids. I want to learn. :D

But with that said, I want my kids to have fun on our walks, not a chore. I let them point out things that are interesting to them. I do point things out as well. For example when we saw a birds nest, I asked them what materials do you think the bird used to build its nest (see there was cat tale fluffy that was visible in the nest and also the plant was close by). When we get home, we talk about our day, fill out our notebooking pages (the sections that apply to the kids), I ask them if they want to learn more about anything they saw (or remind them of a question they had on our walk and see if they want to look it up) and go from there, I ask if they want to draw something, if they do, great, if not, that is ok too, etc.

Some time I would like to take my eldest (and any other child that would want to do it) and head out with the purpose to sketch something we see naturally. I love the idea of doing this, just sitting there in the quite, soaking in the sun, listening to the sounds of nature, and drawing something from God's creation in it's natural environment... and someday we will do this. Just not with each walk.

Best of luck to finding your "fit" and your new beginning!

~Tina

I'm following Barb's Green Hour at her blog but the kids want to do more.

I want nature walks to be a daily family time, journaling to be when we want and study to be when we want but also a directed activity at times. We would have been outside all weekend but we've got the flu. The kids are excited to go on our next walk and keep asking when I'll feel better.

...I think that making sure kids have a variety of materials available to them really helps them to explore. Not just print and online identification resources (field guides/reference book), but tools as well.

Things like a magnifying glass, clear glass jars or even some small habitats (you can find these at pet stores; most of them are just like large, clear bins with handled lids) or terrariums. Bulb or plastic syringes (see my horror story here about what can happen if you don't have something specific for this kind of use) are helpful, too.

A central location near the back door is good for keeping stuff in the forefront of their minds...but we generally prefer to scatter it all over the yard. You know, so it's close and handy. ::SIGH::

I can be formal.

I live in the mountains. I have the state botanical gardens in my town and the local Audobon society too. So, I sometime do an informal nature walk because just walking around my street there is some kind of nature. We have the following animals that walk through our backyard:

1. deer 2. squirrels 3. turkey vultures 4. crows 5. geese 6. bears

At least, those are the animals that I have seen. There are lots more. We have binoculars. We use them to look up in the sky. We do nature study about the stars too.

I go to Ann Comstock's The Handbook of Nature Study and look up information about what we saw. The book is online so that helps.

We read books about nature. We go on a lot of trips at the Audobon Society. So, I guess they would be considered the more formal way or reading a book and then going out and finding what we read about?

Did I answer your question?

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Hi Sue... You have received such great advice! I love this forum!

We just began with Barbs study as well.... I couldn’t recommend it enough.... We are keeping it relaxed to date..... I don’t want it to turn into just another subject for school, but really encourage an apatite for enjoying and learning more about Nature/ Gods creation. My kids already love animals and being outside, so its not to hard.

I just bought sketch books for my girls.... they are 15 and 11. I also bought a little tin box that had sketch pencils in it w/ a sharpener and colored pencils. I took them along on our last nature walk, but didn’t bring them out because the kids were having a good time. Why spoil it? ;)

I’m trying not to put to much thought into it (that sounds bad hu?) but I’m just wanting to read and do what Barb suggests and see where it leads.... I want to let the excitement guide us.

Along with reading The Handbook of Nature Study, I have been reading a little online here Nature Study- Charlotte Mason Style Its very interesting and Im learning a lot myself.

I hope we get to read some upcoming adventures form you and your family?? :) I just posted last night about last weeks nature walk.... its in my signiture if you are interested.

Oh, one more thing! If you click on the link I provided.... for Nature Study CM style.... scroll down till you see a youtube video. Its a must see.... I enjoyed it a lot!

Its of a mom and her 2 children observing some bugs.... the conversation was a delight to listen too! :)

We, too, have been inspired by Barb's Green Challenges. I needed that extra kick in the you-know-what to get started. It has always been something I have wanted to do with the boys and what I mean by "do" is just letting them explore, observe, and engage in something that has always been near to my heart, but just pushed aside due to "life". What I am learning is this is "life" for me. I need to get out and breathe in the air. I need to feel the bark and hear the birds. It is energizing. So, to answer your question...it is informal for us and we do not do another "formal" science study...right now. We hike a lot as a family, grow a garden, feed the birds, throw rocks in the river, collect bugs, play in the dirt, ect. It is really becoming "life" and I like it. In fact, the boys were outside today with their "adventure gear" looking for bugs. They found one and brought it inside to learn more about it. They broke out the field guide and discovered it was a boxelder bug. Without being urged, they grabbed their nature journals (sketch books), colored pencils and drew it. They also added the date and where they found it. Then they shared their findings with us and gently let the bug go outside. It was fantastic to see them do this all on their own.

I'm ending now because all I am doing is rambling.

I wish you all the luck in your journey as you figure out how nature study is going to look in your house.

Brittney

I'm going to give Barb's Green Challenge a try, continue reading through Comstock's Handbook and my other resources and just START! As for relaying any of our adventures...I don't blog yet. How do you all find the time to do that? :eek: I'll post here if we have any exciting adventures w/ Nature Study. THanks again for all the advice. I'm so grateful. Now...to figure out how exactly WE will do Nature Study :)

I'm going to give Barb's Green Challenge a try, continue reading through Comstock's Handbook and my other resources and just START! As for relaying any of our adventures...I don't blog yet. How do you all find the time to do that? :eek: I'll post here if we have any exciting adventures w/ Nature Study. THanks again for all the advice. I'm so grateful. Now...to figure out how exactly WE will do Nature Study :)

Great idea... post them here if you can.... Barbs green hour is so gentle... no pressure... yet, you accomplish a lot.

Have fun with it, and I hope we get to hear about your adventures when you have the time. *Ü*

We are infant nature study folk

This is exactly how I feel, Tina! I have so much to learn myself. We lived at the edge of wilderness growing up, and I spent tons of time outside, but was rarely encouraged to find out more about what I was discovering outside. My mother had her hands full with my handicapped siblings, and my dad hates being outside (his idea of camping is the Marriott) and we just never did outdoorsy things together as a family. I also inherited his horrible hay fever which seriously dampens my enthusiasm for being outside certains times of the year. My first real hands-on nature "study" was 10th grade biology when we'd go for walks and collect leaves and things to identify. I want my children to develop a lot more knowledge and love for nature than I had growing up.

and we had lots of time to hike and roam. Now my children are older I'm absolutely loving Apologia's younger age Botany book. We read and discuss the scientific things about the plants and then my children are just chomping to run outside and look a plants and search for all the things we read about. Her notebook pages are wonderful and this will probably be our best nature notebook ever.

We do it somewhere in between. We pick a specific place that they can sketch during the next few months (we've done up to a year) during weather changes and seasonal changes. We don't sketch that particular place everytime, we just go there during changes to see what happens to the plants, bugs, etc. during changes. It's been really interesting to see what happens during one particular spot.

Also, we have been loose in the rest of the time by just picking something interesting and journaling on it. We include in our journals:

1. weather for the day

2. date/time

3. sketches

4. thoughts about what we've observed

5. sometimes we add a poem, or a Bible verse

Hope this helps.:)