Menu

Voyages in English

Tatt2mama

I'm thinking of using the 2nd grade level for my son next year. Anyone use it? Pros? Cons? Do you think it's a good program for grammar and developing early writing skills? I know it's Jesuit-published, but how much religious content is there? I didn't see any in the samples, and would prefer secular content, but can navigate around a little religious content.

Also, what would you add to this-I'm thinking spelling and literature, but anything else?

TIA,

Flo

I'm thinking of using the 2nd grade level for my son next year. Anyone use it?

Yes we did this year.

Pros?

Easy workbook style. Colorful.

Cons?

I can't think of too many. It seemed to cover everything we needed. Basic grammar stuff. Didn't love the writing (went to WWE and then journaling instead). If I remember correctly it's pricey compared to other workbooks.

Do you think it's a good program for grammar and developing early writing skills?

After the first couple of chapters we skipped the writing program. (I think TWTM recommends VIE without the writing part - but I cannot remember). I know writing with 2nd graders is pretty boring - but I jest felt it was - forced.

I know it's Jesuit-published, but how much religious content is there?

None

I didn't see any in the samples, and would prefer secular content, but can navigate around a little religious content.

Also, what would you add to this-I'm thinking spelling and literature, but anything else?

Yes - spelling and lit.

I used it for my 3rd and 5th grader this year. We didn't love it. It is 100% secular. My kids learned but they did not thrive. The writing portion is okay. I don't think it is an awful program but it was not a good fit for us. I used a separate program for spelling and created my own literature list.

I actually think that there are 2 versions of it. One is Catholic and the other secular. I could be wrong though.

You are right.

The *older* looking books that are non consumable are Catholic.

The workbooks that look *modern* have been edited and *re-done* by Catholics. Personally, I have not seen those but appear to be secular according to what everyone is saying here.

I've thought about the *modern* ones, but they seem a little pricey.

Thought about Kiss Grammar? It's free online.

I'm thinking of using the 2nd grade level for my son next year. Anyone use it? Pros? Cons? Do you think it's a good program for grammar and developing early writing skills? I know it's Jesuit-published, but how much religious content is there? I didn't see any in the samples, and would prefer secular content, but can navigate around a little religious content.

TIA,

Flo

Hello,

I've just bought (and received) a 2nd grade level 2006 Voyages in English book for my dd to use next year. I have to qualify this by saying we haven't used it yet, but I've thoroughly looked through it as I've been planning out next year. From what I've seen, I really like the looks of it. Each chapter focuses on a part of speech and some sort of writing project (book reports, friendly letters, etc....) The last few chapters focus on word study (synomyms, antonyms, etc....) and research skills (dictionary skills, encyclopedia and internet research) The 2006 version is publish by Loyola Press (a Jesuit group) but there is no religious content in it. You can see a sample of the whole book here:

http://www.voyagesinenglish-digital.com/voyagesinenglish/grade2se2006/

I know the writing part does not get high marks in WTM, but I think at this early grade it would probably be ok. For next year, I'm adding spelling, ETC 4-6, handwriting, and literature to this.

Hello,

I am a self described abhorrer of “English” (as we called it back then). It is not my first language and so it was very important to me that my Dd got everything she could out of a language arts curriculum for fear that I may not be useful.

My search led me to Voyages in English. We’ve used VIE 1 and 2 and are currently in 3. I love it. Lessons are very well laid out. Dd (7) is a busy worker and enjoys all of her assignments. We plan on staying with it through 8th, if only for the consistency factor. It is completely secular.

So far the writing has proven rather motivational; Dd is constantly doing writing projects on her own. I am always reassessing and if I find her writing skills lacking I will supplement, but that is not the case now. Grammatically she was able to begin Latin for Children primer A and thoroughly understood all the parts of speech, so I was happy there.

For literature we mostly stay in tune with our current level of History Odyssey and other grade appropriate classical literature suggested by WTM. On her own reading she reads the Magic Tree House series, Little House on the Prairie series, etc. We also use Sequential Spelling and D’Neilian for penmanship.

I hope you find my opinion useful, but it is just an opinion. There is no way of knowing for sure until you dig in and give it a fair chance. ;)

Best Regards,

for the info so far-very useful! I like the way the writing is broken down into steps, and doesn't look too intimidating (although I suppose we'll see if we try it). We tried WWE and it wasn't for us, so maybe this approach will work better for us-the only way to tell is to try it.

Thanks,

Flo