Menu

Is rosetta stone enough for HS Level? any other sugestions for Spanish??

:)I've heard that BJU's Spanish sequence is very good. I think Jean in Wisc has posted about it in the past. However, I'm not sure how well it works if the parent doesn't speak Spanish and therefore can't work with the student. It seems to me it might be okay for the first year, but after that I would probably hire a Spanish tutor to work with my student at least once a week.

I've also heard that the Amsco Spanish program is very good. They have quite a few different texts, so you would probably want to find out which ones are recommended here.

My dd is in public high school and they use the Ven Conmigo! Spanish series from Holt, Rinehart and Winston publishing. I was able to purchase an entire set for this high school series (student text, teacher text, plus half a dozen supplemental workbooks for grammar, tests, etc.) in new condition from an eBay store for about $35 including shipping. (I think I was very lucky, because just the student text for this series cost more than that used on Amazon.)

If you want to go ahead with Rosetta Stone, I would choose to supplement with the Amsco products. I would also probably add in a few books from Amazon in the "Practice Makes Perfect" series -- verb tenses, complete Spanish grammar, and pronouns & prepositions. There is also a book on Spanish words that are similar to English -- really nice for beefing up vocabulary quickly -- but I can't recall the name of it offhand. I'm sure someone else on the boards will know what I am talking about, or I can look it up in my old Amazon purchases.

I would love to know the names of those resources. My spanish is VERY limited. basic greetings and some medical terminology since I work as an RN in an emergency department that is why I lean towards the rosetta Stone stuff:)

I will look into some of the things you mentioned though. THank you!

Chelsea

I would love to know the names of those resources. My spanish is VERY limited. basic greetings and some medical terminology since I work as an RN in an emergency department that is why I lean towards the rosetta Stone stuff:)

Okay, I found the book on Spanish vocabulary that is closely related to English. Here is a link to the book on Amazon (Madrigal's Magic Spanish).

It's been so long since I looked at the Amsco products, I can't recommend anything specific. You might want to start a separate post asking about their Spanish course books.

try this:

http://wtmboards.com/HSboardOct242007/messages/1239.html

Her daughter received college credit for completing Alpha-Omega's SOS Spanish.

On another thread from the old board, someone suggested that you could use 1/2 of SOS Year 1 as your "Spanish 1" and then the second half as "Spanish 2".

But, because it seems so meaty, I'm hoping we can do a year of Rosetta Stone (it can't be any less rigorous than *my* Spanish 1 in high school - LOL!). Then, after mastering some of the vocabulary and having a "feel" for it, we'll switch over to the SOS Spanish and I'll use their "Year 1" as my "Spanish 2". (clear as mud?)

But, all that's tentative and untested!

Rhondabee