Menu

Logic at the high school level? Computer logic, formal logic texts?

So, technically high school is the "rhetoric" stage, but I never got beyond informal logic with my son and we need to review it. Plus, I'd like him to do more in-depth logic now that he's older and can handle it.

I bought Copi's Introduction to Logic a few years ago to teach myself Logic and I understand that that's a college level book. I never really went through it myself, and I suppose I could try to use that one, but I don't know if it's the best choice for a 15yo.

Jan P. suggested Cothran's Logic course. Is that suitable for high schoolers, or is it geared toward the "logic" stage?

I'm not so much interested in the Mind Benders as a full course, but we have a few books lying around for supplements.

What else is out there? How close to formal logic is computer logic? Is there a formal logic course out there that aligns with computer logic?

What can you recommend?

Hi,

Traditional Logic I and II make a complete high school course for one credit. I believe the folks at Memoria Press would agree with this. Traditional Logic II is not an easy book to get through. I would think that some logic stage kids could get through it, but most probably could not -- I find it difficult myself. I know that Canon Press's logic courses have been used as high school courses, but in my opinion they are much easier. OF course you can use a college logic textbook to teach a high school student logic. I don't know anything about Copi's book, though. I'm sure someone will chime in that have more logic background than me.

I don't have more logic experience, but I will certainly agree with you that TL II is a tough course and most often better suited to the high school years. I think that the exercises expected in TL II get into definite rhetoric as they are expected to not only examine the logic of an argument but also explain/support/refute it in writing.

What else is out there? How close to formal logic is computer logic? Is there a formal logic course out there that aligns with computer logic?

What can you recommend?

"First Course on Mathematical Logic" in the mail yesterday. I was expecting it to be all symbols and really hard, but it's not all symbols. It was written back in the 1960s and the preface says that it was field tested in various classrooms. The author claims it to be a course for high school students or first year college students but after having flipped (see, flipping is a very methodical and authoritive way in which to ascertain the contents and nature of a book ;-) I think my son will be ready for this next year.

Just to recap, I haven't used this book yet, I just got in the mail yesterday but if someone out there just can't wait to add another logic book to their collection for consideration for a future course, here's another title.

And Laura, I can't speak to how to coordinate Geometry and logic, but Suppes' book seems to be a very gentle lead-up to mathematical proofs. The proofs that he has at the very end of the book my son can already do.

Patrick Suppes Home Page

Myrtle, does the First Course in Mathematical Logic have a solutions manual or teacher's guide (or even answers in the back)? It looks very interesting...

No.

But if I do it next year with my kid I'll put solutions online by the end of the academic year and let y'all know.