Menu

Recipe needed: the BEST macaroni & cheese -- and please don't say Kraft! ;)

I'm preparing a birthday dinner for ER's "friend-girl" next Friday. She is especially fond of homemade macaroni and cheese, but I rarely make it, and when I do, it's nothing special. But for ER2's birthday (yes, they have the same initials!), I want to make some really GOOD macaroni and cheese. Help!

Deen Brothers baked mac N Cheese. I saw them on ABC at Christmas time several years ago. This has become a family favorite and I get asked for the recipe every time I bring it somewhere. Very creamy, not dry. Just delicious.

I usually put in a little dry mustard and omit the hot sauce.

Baked Mac and Cheese

From "The Deen Bros. Cookbook"

Ingredients:

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)

8 ounces American cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)

1 cup whole milk

½ cup sour cream

2 eggs

¼ cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces

1 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce or to taste -- optional

½ teaspoon salt

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish; set aside. In a saucepan, cook macaroni according to package directions, drain. Return macaroni to saucepan.

2. While macaroni is hot, add the cheeses to the pan; stir well. Spread the macaroni mixture in the prepared baking dish. In a bowl, whisk together the milk, sour cream, eggs, butter, hot sauce and salt. Pour the milk mixture over the macaroni.

3. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Use good quality sharp cheddar, and add a couple pinches of white pepper and mustard powder to the cheese sauce.

The next trick is to bake it at 25 degrees less than usual and do it a little longer, giving yourself time for it to "sit" a bit before serving.

This is how to spruce up a standard baked mac and cheese recipe.

I found this stove-top version of Alton Brown's Mac & Cheese over at the Food Network site. I haven't made this recipe, but boy does it look easy and good. I think I'm going to try it this week. I have been looking for a stove-top variety for lunchtime, the only time that we would eat it, as DH hates Mac & Cheese.

This must be a common need, because I know of two other threads started with this question, one of which was started by me :) All of the recipes I got were GREAT for me, but too rich for my girls...they still love The (hideous) Blue Box, or as as one reviewer of the Alton Brown recipe above called it, "the slow orange death".

I see you're in GA - are you familiar with the Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle? We really like their macaroni and cheese recipe:

1 8-ounce package macaroni noodles

1 teaspoon vegetable shortening

1 cup grated Cheddar cheese, divided

1/2 cup Cheese Whiz

3/4 cup milk

2 eggs, beaten

1 tablespoon mayonnaise

1/2 teaspoon mustard

- Salt and pepper to taste Cook macaroni according to package directions, adding shortening to water. Do not overcook.

- Drain and combine macaroni with all other ingredients reserving 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese.

- Bake uncovered, in ungreased 9 x 12-inch casserole for 25 to 30 minutes.

- Remove from oven and top with reserved cheese.

- Return to oven to melt.

I usually double it for my family, and it still disappears quickly :)

Hope your dinner goes well!

SBP

We've driven by it, and I've commented that I'd like to try it, but we haven't yet.

I see you're in GA - are you familiar with the Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle? We really like their macaroni and cheese recipe:

1 8-ounce package macaroni noodles

1 teaspoon vegetable shortening

1 cup grated Cheddar cheese, divided

1/2 cup Cheese Whiz

3/4 cup milk

2 eggs, beaten

1 tablespoon mayonnaise

1/2 teaspoon mustard

- Salt and pepper to taste Cook macaroni according to package directions, adding shortening to water. Do not overcook.

- Drain and combine macaroni with all other ingredients reserving 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese.

- Bake uncovered, in ungreased 9 x 12-inch casserole for 25 to 30 minutes.

- Remove from oven and top with reserved cheese.

- Return to oven to melt.

I usually double it for my family, and it still disappears quickly :)

Hope your dinner goes well!

SBP