Menu

Phonetic Zoo users...is it torturous to your children to do the same list over....

Mommy7

and over until they get 100 twice? My children just groaned when we looked at the YouTube sample.

I was hoping to use it with my 12 yo for remedial work. She says she doesn't think she would like it. She likes it better when something is explained to her. So, I may have to do AAS after all. I have read so many positive reviews of AAS that I feel confident that it would work. It's just so teacher dependent.

I like the independence of Phonetic Zoo, so I was hoping to use it.

I'm just having a hard time with the idea of allowing time for spelling. Other than checking over copies of spelling lists and giving the tests, our spelling has been entirely independent. Due to the cost factor, if I switch her to AAS, I will feel the need to switch the others. Then, that adds 45 minutes to an hour to teach AAS to all of them. That is allowing for teaching 2 for 15 min. on the same level, one other for 15 min., and for remedial work for my oldest dd, I was allowing 30 min. Sound reasonable?

When I read posts about AAS that say they don't end up doing it because it is teacher dependent, I feel a little cautious.

Just wondering how Phonetic Zoo is for the student.

Thanks for the answers ahead of time. :)

Edited by Mommy7

At 12, your daughter should not have a problem getting 100 percent very quickly. My son would get a 100% the second try, usually, sometimes the first try.

He did tire of it, though. And one of the readers, I'm not kidding you, has some kind of odd speech impediment. We switched back to Rod & Staff spelling after a year.

I'm glad you have had success with it. :) I thought about it after I posted this thread....didn't mean to sound so negative. I have been very interested in Phonetic Zoo. But, my childrens' reactions did concern me a little.

that my son likes spelling, he's been doing very well with this program. Prior to using Phonetic zoo we had tried several different spelling books but I found that as soon as he moved past the lesson he didn't have any retention. So, literally, he couldn't spell a word he learned 4 or 5 lessons ago. Phonetic zoo really works for him. He remembers it. Sometimes he gets 100% right away and other times he works on a lesson for several weeks.