Menu

Third year French recommendations?

:confused: I am perplexed as to what to do after dd completes Fr. II this year, and before possibly taking French at a community college in her senior year of high school. I see that the University of Wisconsin offers various options, but I am not sure if they will allow parents to proctor the course for their child.

Anyone here with a good distance learning option, or experience? Northstar Academy has been very good, but does not offer Fr. III at this time. :rolleyes:

I thank you in advance!

Cindy

For French 3 you can try--U. of Missouri (HS), they go up to 3, also Keystone High school goes up to AP I think, and U. of Nebraska HS goes up to year 4. For proctoring you can use the library for HS and SOME of the university classes. For some college classes you have to use the CC testing center and pay a fee-from 10 to 30 dollars. (but the college credits are great to have on your transcript) LSU seems very reasonable but they are redoing the college French course---(I just started the Spanish myself) U. of Missouri gives 1/2 price for college courses to high school students (BUT only the classes labelled Dual Enrollment) and you have to fill out a form. By the time you get that far along in HS language you might think of going ahead and getting the college credits. They can't take those away from you--otherwise if you want to test in you need to be fresh in your language when you go to college and do the test. If you look at your CC and check the ratings website you might be able to see how the teachers are rated. Often they only have 1 or 2 teachers of a certain language and I have heard there can be some ones that are "Not" good. (in that case the correspondence may meet your needs)I think if you can get 4 semesters of college French (through LSU or U. of Miss or maybe even Indiana U. ) that would put you into the upper level classes in college. I have heard that once you get that far along then you don't have to have the grad students for teachers. (assuming the student wants to continue!)

I will check out the other sources you both have mentioned. I had thought of BJU, but am worried about our commitment level without a "teacher" to be accountable to, and to have available for live help. But I certainly haven't ruled it out either! :)

We tried doing Latin with U. of Nebraksa, but they were inflexible about the proctoring. While I understand their position on this, I still find it annoying. :p

Thanks very much for the other possibilities. If I find anything else, I will post it as well.

Warm regards,

Cindy