Menu

Singapore Model Method

jg_puppy

Has anyone bought the book Singapore Model Method? I like the samples of the book, but I was wondering if anyone has gotten the book.

Jan

It's on "the list." :D I don't know when I will actually buy it though. At least I can bump you up.

Heather

It's on "the list." :D I don't know when I will actually buy it though. At least I can bump you up.

Heather

Thank you. It is on my list as well. I think I will probably get it pretty soon, but I was hoping to get some feedback from someone before I bought it.

Jan

• 5 months later...

OK. I bought it and read it.

I have to give it a "mixed review." It's thinner than I expected, and it is written in a ministry-of-education monograph style that is both impressive, and kind of "cold" and academic at the same time.

Home educators are not the target audience (I suspect) rather it seems aimed at impressing the political elites in Singapore (and perhaps overseas).

It does outline the Model Method. That's a good thing. I'm glad I read it. I think I paid too much. I wasn't everything I hoped it would be (on a practical level) so I would not call it "essential." But the more one might feel in the dark about the aims of this program, the more the "utility" of this might rise.

Still, it is not the "must have" guide to Singapore math I'd hoped it might be.

Bill

This book is helpful for understanding the "why" behind the model method used in Singapore (which you would also sort of get on your own after teaching the upper levels), as well as the "how" of the harder problems. I would recommend this book to someone who is contemplating Singapore Math and wants to get an overview of the method, or for someone who is gearing up for levels 5/6 when the word problems become more involved.

It covers primary and secondary levels, but can be read in a day. It is not worth the price IMHO. It should be free online. :)

Bill,

I was wondering if you have read A Handbook for Mathematics Teachers in Primary Schools? I ask because IMO it explains bar models well, and is very nice format (LARGE, with lots of pictures) and easy to read. If you have read both I would love a comparison.

Thanks for the review, from your description of the new Bar Model book I am not interested. I have already gone through the 5A level book on my own and didn't have problems with the bar modeling. It doesn't sound like the book would add much. It isn't often I can cross a book off my wish list. :D

Heather

Bill,

I was wondering if you have read A Handbook for Mathematics Teachers in Primary Schools? I ask because IMO it explains bar models well, and is very nice format (LARGE, with lots of pictures) and easy to read. If you have read both I would love a comparison.

Thanks for the review, from your description of the new Bar Model book I am not interested. I have already gone through the 5A level book on my own and didn't have problems with the bar modeling. It doesn't sound like the book would add much. It isn't often I can cross a book off my wish list. :D

Heather

Heather, I have not read A Handbook for Mathematics Teachers in Primary Schools nor have I read Elementary Mathematics for Teachers by Parker and Baldridge.

At this point I wish I had purchase one of these others instead. Not that I didn't get something from the Model Method book (I did). So it was worth my "time". But $30?

A quick look at the "samples" of A Handbook for Mathematics Teachers in Primary Schools makes me think this book is aimed more at teachers/home educators than the Model book. I especially liked the sample page on place value, and the point about teaching that the "6" in 68 is six-tens (rather than 60). The first sample looks much like the sorts of things found in the Model book (although the Model book has a more aesthetically sophisticated design).

You've made me want another book.

Bill

Bill,

I'm not Bill, but I have both books and have taught 8 levels of Singapore Math, so even though Bill has nearly 5,000 posts I'd like to think I am ALMOST as qualified as he is ( :001_tt2: ha ha).

There is no need for both books.

If you want to get a in-depth overview of the Singapore Model Method that can be easily read and understood in a short amount of time, get the Model Method.

If you have been using Singapore through level 3 but have looked ahead to the higher levels and want to see how the models are used in very difficult word problems (including how to transition from the model method to algebra), get the Model Method.

If you want more actual instruction on how to use the model method, get Handbook for Mathematics Teachers in Primary Schools. There is also a Handbook for Geometry Teachers in Primary Schools and Handbook for Mathematics Teachers in Secondary Schools.

If you want enrichment activities, help with making tests (teachers in Singapore make their own), or just a good reference to sit on the shelf to refer to when needed, get Handbook for Mathematics Teachers.

I also have the Liping Ma book (read it before we started Singapore Math), and while it was interesting about math in general, the Handbook has more practical help specific to Singapore Math.

Edited by Colleen in SEVA

I'm not Bill, but I have both books and have taught 8 levels of Singapore Math, so even though Bill has nearly 5,000 posts I'd like to think I am ALMOST as qualified as he is ( :001_tt2: ha ha).

I'd say WAY MORE qualified than me :D

I guess I just expected more Singapore Model Method book for $30. Such as an "over-view" (which it does fairly well and economically), plus more teacher instruction.

It's a strange position to be in when you like a book (and to feel like you would tout as a "must have" were it $9, or available free to read on-line) but to feel you don't really get your money's at $30. Maybe I'm too cheap?

I'll have to chew on these others.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

If you want to get a in-depth overview of the Singapore Model Method that can be easily read and understood in a short amount of time, get the Model Method.

If you have been using Singapore through level 3 but have looked ahead to the higher levels and want to see how the models are used in very difficult word problems (including how to transition from the model method to algebra), get the Model Method.

If you want more actual instruction on how to use the model method, get Handbook for Mathematics Teachers in Primary Schools. There is also a Handbook for Geometry Teachers in Primary Schools and Handbook for Mathematics Teachers in Secondary Schools.

If you want enrichment activities, help with making tests (teachers in Singapore make their own), or just a good reference to sit on the shelf to refer to when needed, get Handbook for Mathematics Teachers.

I also have the Liping Ma book (read it before we started Singapore Math), and while it was interesting about math in general, the Handbook has more practical help specific to Singapore Math.

Colleen,

Thanks! I actually have both the Elementary Mathematics for Teachers (though I haven't read it yet), and A Handbook for Mathematics Teachers in Primary Schools (which I have read when I stared Singapore and loved it!) and for some reason I just haven't been able to get excited about the modeling book. I find the models very easy to do, and very useful so I use them a lot when I work through the books on my own (I do all the primary, IP and WP books ahead of my oldest). I just can't fathom what the book would add that I don't already get. It might put things into terms I hadn't thought of, but actually new content?

I am jealous with the Liping Ma book through. It has been on my wish list for a long time. :D I can afford it. The bigger problem is the stack of to read but haven't touched books I already have. Can I really justify buying another?

Heather

You've made me want another book.

Bill

Bill,

No! :blink: I really didn't mean to-honest! I am sure you will return the favor at some point. :smilielol5:

Yes the Handbook would be great for anyone starting out in Singapore Math. Easy reading, and not too difficult. I must admit that when I first read it I was feeling a little over my head (had to look up more than one answer and reverse engineer it), but it gave me a great foundation. Now I look at it and much of it is old information. Funny how time does that to you. If you have done much Singapore I would suspect you have already seen many of the concepts presented, and wouldn't find a lot of value in it.

The Elementary Mathematics for Teachers you are ideally supposed to have a full set of the primary series (for the homework section), and I have been told is often used to teach college level math teacher classes. It has a lot more meat than the Handbook, and includes teaching hints/helps. This book I could see you putting to good use.

Heather