Menu

Dickinson College

Jane in NC

OK--I'm smitten. Our first "official" college visit occurred last year when we visited Dickinson which my son had discovered while googling some Latin poet. Down the rabbit hole he went, only to discover a college that he thought was perfect. That was last year. Now, being one year older and wiser, the college looks even better to him. Of course, it helped that that the field director of Dickinson's Mycenae field school was willing to spend an hour with us.

Back to basics: Dickinson is located in the historic town of Carlisle, PA, a walkable and charming place with loads of locally owned restaurants. Nice people. Safe. The college was founded by Dr. Benjamin Rush (a signer of the Declaration of Independence) who believed that that America needed to create its own brand of education, one that embraced the liberal arts as well as practical skills and engagement in the community. There is a hands on feeling to Dickinson that resonates with my son, the Montessori child. During last year's tour, he immediately made note of the wood and metal workshops that are part of the physics lab and said, "This is the place for me."

Dickinson sends a high proportion of its students into the world for international study. It maintains a number of international educational centers to which students and faculty travel for a semester or two. I was highly impressed to learn that before archaeology students attend the field school in Mycenae, they must take at least one semester of modern Greek in order to have basic communication skills with the workers and townspeople there. Dickinson does not want its students to live in a bubble.

There are no graduate programs so all courses are taught by professors. There are no huge lecture halls. Wherever one goes on the lush green lawns (shaded by mature trees) one sees groups of red Adirondack chairs. We are told that students often have classes outside. (OK, OK. I admit that I want to attend Dickinson. I told you that I am smitten!)

Following our various college sessions, I strolled through town and spent some time in several shops where I asked questions about town and gown relations. I felt no great sense of separation. One shop owner told me that she rents to a college student and has never had any problems. Another clerk told me that students participate in community life. Since a number of upperclassmen live in the buildings in historic downtown, they are part of the local color. A sorority that has space nearby does a number of philanthropic acts for the town annually. In fact, the shop clerk felt that the sorority was more about philanthropy than socialization. (I am a bit suspicious of this and wonder how big a thing Greek life is at Dickinson. While I was told that it was there for those who want it, I see from the stats that a good number of students join frats and sororities--20-25%. Greek life is not my thing so I bring my prejudice to the table.)

Research opportunities are open to Dickinson students. Their new science building offers state of the art biology and chemistry labs. Music facilities are open to all students who wish to continue playing their instruments--not just music majors. Students at Dickinson are expected to complete certain core curriculum requirements (social sciences, natural sciences and math, humanities) as well as a writing intensive course for entering freshmen, foreign language through the intermediate level (students with four years of high school language may place out of this requirement), etc. There are broad categories for the most part, not specific course lists.

My son commented that he really felt that the people at Dickinson wanted to get to know him. The admissions counselor for our region knew we were in the office, so she popped out to introduce herself. Very accommodating.

Dorms were closed so we did not have a look inside.

Next phase of the college tour to include those institutions closer to home.

My cousin went to Dickinson 10 years ago or so and LOVED it! She majored in Biology and something else, lived in the environmental house, and met her dh there. She now teaches AP science at a private school in KY.

The environmental house you mention is called the Tree House. Students agree to take three minute showers, must ride a bike to watch TV and hang all their laundry. Our tour guide said, "Well it's not for me."

It seems that a number of schools have "themed" housing. I think the foreign language housing where students agree to speak a language other than English is a great idea!

The environmental house you mention is called the Tree House. Students agree to take three minute showers, must ride a bike to watch TV and hang all their laundry. Our tour guide said, "Well it's not for me."

It seems that a number of schools have "themed" housing. I think the foreign language housing where students agree to speak a language other than English is a great idea!

I seem to remember also that when she was there they were trying to build a solar water heater - she was asking my plumber father for advice. I think themed housing is great for students who are looking for more serious students to live with.

Next phase of the college tour to include those institutions closer to home.

This is a great idea. You and your ds can narrow down what are the must have's (or must have nots) without expending much time and money.

I enjoyed reading about your visit, Jane.

Jane, I just had to tell you that I loved reading your post! I graduated from Dickinson in 1990 - and your words brought back such great memories to me. I met my dh there - that is the best memory of all! :) If I can help you answer any questions, feel free to let me know. Truly, I loved my 4 years there - it is a wonderful school.

• 4 weeks later...