Menu

Question for those who have used Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings...

Heather,

I'm using this curriculum with my dd. I would definitely have your student do the work daily. If you did everything, then I would think at least 1 1/2 hrs. to 2 hrs. per day would be the minimum. There are daily worksheets that I don't do with my dc. I am more interested in the writing portion of the curriculum and in discussing the works with my dc. I find the worksheets wasteful time for us, but others may like doing them. I also don't like the tests because too much of it is testing the student on nit picky stuff. The notes are fabulous though, and I am having my dd do the vocabulary words.

HTH,

As Jan says, if your student is doing it on their own, and if your student will be doing all of it, then plan on 1/2 an hour a day, 5 days a week. More time will be needed, if you also plan to have your student read through some of the additional literature mentioned in the study or in the additional units of material.

We're doing LLftLotR this year, and doing it together aloud. Our modifications:

- reading the books aloud together at night as a family, doing 2 chapters a week

- skipping the fill-in-the-blanks in the page that recaps each chapter

- doing the vocabulary fill-in-the-blanks page aloud

- reading/discussing the additional notes for each chapter aloud together

- reading/discussing the discussion questions for each chapter aloud together

- reading/discussing the 12 additional units aloud together

- skipping most of the writing assignments (on average there is an optional writing assignment once every other week)

Our schedule/time-break down looks like this:

- Reading the books: 60-90 minutes a week

(2 nights a week as a family, 30-45 minutes per night depending on chapter lengths)

- Vocabulary/Additional Notes/Discussion Questions: 60-90 minutes a week

(2 days a week, usually the day after having read the chapter, during school, 30-45 minutes per chapter)

- Additional Units

(once every four weeks, we take 2 days (about 30-45 minutes each day) and read/discuss the additional unit material)

In addition to LLftLotR, the boys are also doing:

- separate writing programs

- separate grammar programs

- additional solo reading

- additional together read/discuss of a few great ancient classics

We will save 3 of the units (2 on Beowulf and 1 on Sir Gawain and the Green Knight) to do next year when we read through medieval literature. Hope something there helps! Warmest regards, Lori D.