Menu

Thoughts on my plans for 6th/7th grade.

I think I've got next year all figured out, but wanted to see if anyone see anything missing, or thinks I'm too heavy in an area. I'll have a 6th and 7th grader.

Together:

Tapestry of Grace Year 4 Classic (history, geography, literature)

grammar - R&S English 5 (finishing - will start 6 depending on time)

writing - IEW

Latin - Getting Started with Latin

Bible (no specific curriculum)

Logic - Mindbenders and the like

math - BJU Math 6 (7th grader is a year behind and I'm hoping to have him move to Pre-Algebra in 8th grade, which should be possible after BJU 6)

science - Apologia General (7th grader); BJU Science 6 (6th grader)

other miscellaneous things like artist and composer study, copywork, art projects

Not to interrupt, but did you see the thread about the BJU math 7 with the post by Melissa in CA about it? She was suggesting the math 7, in its new edition, is actually better than the 6. Usually they say to do 6, skip 7, to get to pre-algebra, but she was suggesting doing it the other way skipping 6 to do the meatier new edition 7. Just a thought. It does seem people are saying the new editions of the lower graders are meatier, which means the 6 will be too when it gets there. The 7 just already is.

I was only keeping track because we'll probably be in the 6 in the fall. I already have 6, so I asked Melissa for dibs on her 7 when she's done with it. :)

The only thing I'm not seeing is either spelling or vocab. While I know of most of the programs you're using, I'm not really familiar with some of them, so perhaps it/they fall under those categories. Just thought I'd point it out in case they were missing.

Other than that I think it looks fine.

Not to interrupt, but did you see the thread about the BJU math 7 with the post by Melissa in CA about it? She was suggesting the math 7, in its new edition, is actually better than the 6. Usually they say to do 6, skip 7, to get to pre-algebra, but she was suggesting doing it the other way skipping 6 to do the meatier new edition 7. Just a thought. It does seem people are saying the new editions of the lower graders are meatier, which means the 6 will be too when it gets there. The 7 just already is.

I was only keeping track because we'll probably be in the 6 in the fall. I already have 6, so I asked Melissa for dibs on her 7 when she's done with it. :)

Man, I hate to hear that. :tongue_smilie: Is the 7 brand new? I need to be able to get it used because of the cost. Also, I want to combine my kids (since this is my first time actually teaching them the concepts instead of relying on the workbook to do it) and DD would not be ready for 7. If I find that 6 is too easy for DS, I'll look into 7.

The only thing I'm not seeing is either spelling or vocab. While I know of most of the programs you're using, I'm not really familiar with some of them, so perhaps it/they fall under those categories. Just thought I'd point it out in case they were missing.

Other than that I think it looks fine.

I know it is in the redesign, so I'll have to check the Classic. We've never done much with spelling 'cause my kids are natural spellers.

Rhonda, I think it looks great!! Will you be using the TOG writing topics with IEW?

I don't have the TOG yet, so I'll have to look at them when I do. My plan right now is to just use the lesson plans in the TWSS notebook. However, we'll finish that a couple of months before the end of the year, so I'll be looking for things to do then. Also, if I find a good topic in the TOG writing, I'll adapt it to fit our IEW plans.