Menu

Jump In by Apologia

Jen+4dc

Yes, Jen, it does use abortion as a topic. The author uses that topic as part of her "examples" several times throughout the book. Like, talking about a persuasion paper, she gave her example using the abortion topic.

One of the main reasons we did not continue with it....just didn't think that was a topic my DS10 needed to be reading/discussing in his writing program, as I am pretty sure he has no idea what that is at this point in his young life. It bothered me alot that this program is advertised as a self-led program, written to the students. Meaning the student was to read the workbook and do the work on their own. The parent comes in behind to check their work, but may have never really looked at each lesson in the workbook, and not necessarily have known that this topic was prevalent.

Yes, Jen, it does use abortion as a topic. The author uses that topic as part of her "examples" several times throughout the book... One of the main reasons we did not continue with it....just didn't think that was a topic my DS10 needed to be reading/discussing in his writing program... It bothered me alot that this program is advertised as a self-led program, written to the students. Meaning the student was to read the workbook and do the work on their own. The parent comes in behind to check their work, but may have never really looked at each lesson in the workbook, and not necessarily have known that this topic was prevalent.

All good points. And I certainly agree that abortion was an inappropriate choice of writing assignment idea to be included in Jump In, especially for a program written directly to grade 5-8 students.

However, we DID do the entire program, and I would certainly NOT say that topic was prevalent. Rather, the references to abortion (and it's more often expressed as "pro-life" or "pro-choice" views, with only one direct mention of abortion that I can recall) -- along WITH references to religion or other potential "hot button topics" were NOT that frequent -- maybe a dozen in the entire book (with abortion/pro-choice totaling about 3 of those dozen). One of two of these mentions were as examples of good writing; the rest were ideas (among a list of other ideas) to pick from for specific writing assignments. We found it quite easy to skip over them.

[with all gentleness and meant kindly] If you really want to use the program, but have concerns, it would be pretty easy to skim through the book and use a black marker on anything you felt was not appropriate. On the other hand, I also understand not wanting to support a program by buying/editing if you feel strongly about the inclusion and handling of a sensitive issue. I'd highly recommend writing to the author and to Apologia and express those concerns -- if enough people do so, they may edit it out. It's very possible they really didn't think it through, and are unaware of how many people they are turning off from an otherwise good program due to a handful of poorly chosen writing assignment ideas for that age group. :001_smile:

Our case was a bit different; I was walking an older, struggling writer through the program, so I did not have him do it independently. He was also 13/14yo -- NOT 10yo. (I certainly would not have introduced that topic to him at 10yo.) We did find Jump In helpful for him; Jump In helped him:

- think of *what* to say

- how to structure his thinking/writing

- and how to understand what goes into a paragraph as the support of the topic sentence -- he now "gets" the need for specific facts, details, examples, etc. -- what that actually looks like -- and he is able to generate that on his own (timed essays), and from sources (research papers).

Jump In reminds me a bit of IEW; just gentler and with specific exercises and assignments. In tone and style, Jump In also reminds me a lot of Wordsmith Apprentice -- Jump In is like the longer, more detailed next step up from Wordsmith Apprentice.

To see sample pages to decide for yourself, check out:

- Christian Book: http://www.christianbook.com/Christi...WW&view=covers

- Apologia: https://apologia.securesites.net/sto...products_id=87

BEST of luck in finding what works for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info for clarity

For a reluctant writer, I'd start even more gently than Jump in, by using Wordsmith Apprentice. We found Wordsmith Apprentice to be an extremely gentle, painless, and enjoyable first writing program for our reluctant/struggling writer. It was the first time he did not complain about writing! Wordsmith Apprentice is geared for grades 4-6, is written to the student, and has a very fun "cub reporter" theme, especially appealing to boys.

See it at: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=683170&netp_id=332930&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=covers

BEST of luck in finding what works for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I used it with my son, an 11 YO sixth grader. He is a very reluctant writer, and Jump In did help some, but it was still like pulling teeth to get him to write. When he did write, it was minimal. He would constantly say, "But I don't know what to write about..." or "I don't know what else I can say about this." I originally bought this, thinking we would work through the workbook in sixth grade and then use the writing prompts for seventh, but I've changed my mind and have decided on something else for next year.

I would like to follow up on my brief post from yesterday(thats what I get for posting as I dash out the door!).

Jump In is a fine program - not great, not stellar, but fine. We worked through it for an entire year and never found any remarks about abortion or anything else objectionable.

Now, this coming year we will hit the "writing cues" portion and that is where we will probably part ways. Not because it is is objectionable. But, because dd finds the "writing suggestion", well..... rather silly. And so do I. THere are plenty of topics for dd to write about from her history, science, latin, art, music, geography, literature, etc., studies. She doesnt need cues or suggestions for topics.

Now, are far as writing programs go. . . . I'm finding the choices limited. This is just my personal opinion so no one take offense please. CW was just too much - too intense, too involved, too overwhelming for me. WriteShop was just too repetitious for both of us (write about a toy, write about a pet, write about a clown). WriteSHop Apprentice did not interest dd at all. Jensen's Format was good but very, very dry. BJU (as part of english) beat the joy out of writing. IEW is too formulated (and expensive).

There are various other programs out there, but I, personally, find them lacking or overwhelming in some regard. So, basically, what I am saying is that there is no one great program to fit every need and every household. Some are better than others at somethings, some are worse.

If anyone does find a program with the style of CW, but the ease of Jump In, and the creativity of Writing Strands, then please let me know.

:confused::001_huh: What???

Can anyone who has used this confirm that?

There are a few places where abortion is used an example, and always in a very strongly anti-abortion tone (which you may agree with, but when a writing assignment is given in such a strongly one-sided manner, then it becomes propaganda, IMHO). There are other areas where proselytizing or Christian teaching is given as a possible writing topic.

Overall, there is not a HUGE amount of political/religious stuff in there, but more than I would have liked. I ended up going through the book with a black pen and crossing out all the stuff that bothered me. My son was 11 at the time we used Jump In, and didn't even know what an abortion was. Why should he at that age? Nor did I wish DS to have proselytizing Christian teachings to others as a writing topic.

Anyway, it's a good program for reluctant writers. Didn't make much difference for my son though, and we ended up dropping it.

Michelle T

I sure appreciate everyone's advice to help me make an informed decision! I think we'll keep looking. Wordsmith Apprentice, IEW, there are pleny of other choices (maybe too many!)

Finding a writing program has been the hardest home schooling decision so far!! Am I the only one??:banghead:

No, your not the only one having a tough time finding a well written writing program. I can't seem to find one that I'm looking for at all.

I have been looking at a program called Writing Skills, which almost looks like Writing Strands BUT it includes grammar ( something Writing Strands does not).

I'd love to try IEW but its way out of my price range. I just need some hand holding when it comes to writing. I want my daughters to write well and be prepared for college writing when the time comes. Because once old habits set in they are very hard to break. I've learned that myself going back to college.