Menu

What seasoning do you use for chicken salad?

Ditto to the curry. I add halved red grapes, chopped celery, chopped mint, toasted almond slivers (not slices), Major Grey-style mango chutney. I think there's something else, but I can't put my finger on it! Instead of all mayo I substitute half non-fat yogurt or non-fat sour cream.

It's really good served inside of a wedge of cantaloupe.

Thanks, everyone. I went with lemon juice, salt, pepper, and dried tarragon, because that's what I had on hand, and it turned out really good. I'll have to try some of the other ideas after I've been to the grocery store. Thanks!

this is my fave.....it was on the back of one of my Georgia Natural Gas bills:

I don't measure really. I just start with however much chicken i have, then add the following ingredients to taste. I use much less than their 4:1 chicken to mayo ratio.

Holiday Chicken salad

4 cups cubed cooked chicken

1 cup mayonnaise (i use much much much less)

1 tsp. paprika

1 tsp. seasoning salt

1 1 ⁄ 2 cups dried cranberries

1 cup chopped celery

1 ⁄ 2 cup minced green bell pepper

2 green onions, chopped

1 cup chopped pecans

ground black pepper to taste

I like a loaded chicken salad - chopped celery, finely chopped onion, almonds, grapes.... yum!

But for a very basic chicken salad, just chopped chicken, a bit of celery, a splash of lemon juice and celery salt, stir together then add in real mayo (not Miracle Whip) to get the consistency you like. Salt & black pepper to taste, if needed.

FWIW, I usually start with VERY WELL seasoned, slow-cooked chicken breasts. So I guess that's why I don't add to much to my basic recipe. When I am making the loaded salads, I don't season the chicken quite as much before I cook it, unless I am using a marinated, grilled chicken cut up in the salad. Yum, this thread is making me hungry!

We made chicken salad for the midwives when I had my baby. I never eat it, not being a salad (as in dressing, mucked up) person myself, so I just googled to find "best chicken salad recipe" hehe... The one that came up and that we ended up using called for 1/2 slaw dressing, 1/2 mayo, then your normal add-ins (chopped veges, nuts, etc.). They seemed to like it fine.

This is one of my favorites-- the mango chutney really gives it an awesome flavor! But for a basic recipe, like other posters I love to season with curry. Sometimes, though, for a change I mix in a little honey mustard instead.