Menu

OpenOffice Software

I was doing a search for "free Power Point" software and ran across OpenOffice. Has anyone ever heard of this or even better used it, and if so, what do you think of it?

I was hoping Microsoft would have free downloads of an older version for my dss to use, but alas, they do not. All they have is a free 60 day trial, after that you have to purchase it.

Any thoughts?

TIA

I was doing a search for "free Power Point" software and ran across OpenOffice. Has anyone ever heard of this or even better used it, and if so, what do you think of it?

I was hoping Microsoft would have free downloads of an older version for my dss to use, but alas, they do not. All they have is a free 60 day trial, after that you have to purchase it.

Any thoughts?

TIA

We have OpenOffice on one (maybe two?) of our computers. Although I prefer Microsoft (which I use for work) for aesthetic reasons, OpenOffice seems to work fine. We mostly use ours for simple word processing and spreadsheet work, so I can't speak to the presentation software side.

We use Open Office 95% of the time and it works well. The only thing I dont like is not being able to build Power Points in it. Both my boys have online classes and they do most of their written work in Open Office.

Does the output from OpenOffice Impress not open in PowerPoint? I haven't used it myself, but I assumed it would.

I started using OpenOffice a coupe of months ago on my Mac.

I haven't used it's presentation software though. I like the word processing, it's interface is like the old Word interface, not the new Vista version. I use speadsheets and am creating a database w/dh's help. Very functional. I also installed it on several old Windows cpu's at a 2-room school where I help out, now the students can get the hang of word processing, etc. and it works fine on those: Win 2K.

Oops I meant edit presentations. I had a couple from church that were sent to me and I wasnt able to edit. Maybe it is possible and I just dont know how, lol.

So you can "create" Power Point" presentations with it, correct?

Ds just did a Power Point presentation for his history class and he really enjoyed creating it. I was hoping that we would be able to something along those lines next year for school.

Thanks

It's all I use. I will admit that I only really use the Writer, but that is because I don't know how to do anything else in ANY software, not just Open Office.

I love open source softwares. I like Open Office, I like GIMP, I like Qtpfsgui, I like free stuff!!!

So you can "create" Power Point" presentations with it, correct?

Ds just did a Power Point presentation for his history class and he really enjoyed creating it. I was hoping that we would be able to something along those lines next year for school.

Thanks

You should be able to do that in Open Office Impress. I've never done it because I have never learned to do it in any software, but I think it should work.

I only use Open Office and am going to play around with Impress this summer. I've looked at power point presentations with Open Office (the actual pages, not just the presentation itself), so I'm pretty sure you can edit them. You can find online tutorials for just about anything you want to do with Open Office. I love it.