Menu

Question for Runners: Shin splints

So the reason I always gave up on running before was because I get shin splints. They are back. So right now I have ice and elevated and I won't be running for the next 7 to 10 days. During this time I'll be swimming.

What can I do to prevent them to come back afterwards?

Guest Virginia Dawn

You need the right kind of shoes. Dh goes to a specialty running store where they test his feet and tell him which shoes are the best for his foot type and running style. He also has to have special inserts in his shoes to keep his feet from rolling from side to side when he runs.

It can get expensive, but it really helps. He just suggested this to a friend of ours who has taken up running and she found immediate relief by buying the right kind of shoes.

You can do exercises to help strengthen the muscles in your lower leg. Look on the coolrunnings website (that's the Couch to 5k plan), or on Running World's website. You should be able to find exercises on there to help you.

You do need the right shoes, but you also may be doing to much to quickly. You need to take it slowly. Slow down your speed or for how long you are running.

I got shin splints 2 months ago because I switched from running inside on my treadmill to running outside. The change in surface did it. Be careful where you run. Try to run on a soft surface if you can.

I was having a terrible time with shin splints a few years ago. A fellow walked told me to make sure I did not tie my shoes to tight. I have had loose shoes and been shin splint free ever since. Amazing how a simple change can make such a big difference. Note be sure to make sure you are completely healed from current shin splints (ie a few weeks rest) before you start again.

Karen (who walkes 5-8 miles a day)

I found that I needed to stretch the back of my legs out before running, which is weird because it's the front that hurts, but it's true. I lean onto a tree or pole and hold for 1 minute. Then I walk to another one and do it again. I do this maybe 3 times every time I'm going to run.

Also, although my running program recommends warming up by walking for 5 minutes, I find that I need to walk for at least 10 and preferably 15 minutes before running, if I want to prevent shin splints. I attribute that to age and overweight, so YMMV.

I agree with what has been posted. There is one more thing to consider. It is probably not your problem, but I want to at least mention it.

Longer distance runners tend to strike with the heal first, then the ball, then the toes. Sprinters run on the ball of the foot. On occasion I have seen novice runners putting in mid to long distance runs by running on the ball of the foot. I have never spoken to someone who runs that way, but I have always thought that shin splints could result from that type of technique.

If you are a newer runner, you may wish to watch some more experienced runners or even ask them to watch your technique.

I am guessing that this point does not apply to you and that one of the other ideas will help to alleviate or solve the problem.

All the best.

For quicker recovery, you could find a licensed massage therapist and ask them to strip out (terminology varys) those muscles next to the bone. It's anything but comfortable to have it done, but it is immediately effective.

Basically what happens is that your muscles get into a negative feed back loop. You've had small tears, minor bleeding/bruising there as you're working to grow new muscles. It's often exacerbated by a fluke in your stride, ill-fitting shoes, or not stretching effectively. Having a LMT work (firmly) on that area will stop that loop of injury/trauma, kind of blowing out the building scar tissue so your muscle can move on. When it's done, you'll heal very quickly.

If you have a good running shoe store with runners as employees who are trained to assess your gait, go there and run/walk for them and ask their opinion. They may try to sell you very expensive shoes. You'll probably want to buy them. And they'll be worth every penny. ;)

Yes, I will second that...not to tie your shoes too tight and also to stretch your calf muscles. You can also strengthen your calfs by doing toe raises. I think that is supposed to help too but I am not 100% sure. Sorry if I repeated what someone else said as I didn't read through everyone's response.

I was having a terrible time with shin splints a few years ago. A fellow walked told me to make sure I did not tie my shoes to tight. I have had loose shoes and been shin splint free ever since. Amazing how a simple change can make such a big difference. Note be sure to make sure you are completely healed from current shin splints (ie a few weeks rest) before you start again.

Karen (who walkes 5-8 miles a day)

My solution to shin splints is simple, but has been effective for me through two half marathons and a full marathon.

As soon as I finish a run, I walk 50 paces on my heels. Then I walk 50 paces on my heels with my feet pointed slightly outward--as if my feet are pointing to the 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock. Then I walk 50 paces on my heels with my feet pointed slightly inward. I just count each step (right is 1, left is 2, right is 3, etc.). It goes pretty quickly.

A friend of mine told me about this little trick. She was very prone to shin splints in college. She recently ran three marathons in three years without shin splints.

I hope my explanation makes sense. I have gotten some questions from people at races asking if I am OK when I do this after a race because it looks a little weird.

I just started running again after I had a baby in March and forgot to walk on my heels for the first two runs. I started to feel some tightening in my shins which made me remember this little trick.

Hope this is helpful. Happy running!

So the reason I always gave up on running before was because I get shin splints. They are back. So right now I have ice and elevated and I won't be running for the next 7 to 10 days. During this time I'll be swimming.

What can I do to prevent them to come back afterwards?

Oh, let's see...OH, I know! STOP RUNNING!:lol:

I'm watching this thread carefully---I have good shoes, I stretch/warm-up, do some jogging, but mostly walking, and I got shin splints really bad a week ago! I STILL feel a bit tight in there and am not sure what to do! I need to be able to walk outside and on my treadmill!

That massage therapist thing sounds interesting. Maybe I should try that.

Well, how much are you running?

How fast are you running?

A lot of runnining injuries are due to doing too much too soon. Are you easing your way into it? The general rule is to increase your distance by 10% each week. Make sure your not overdoing it.

Aside from that, warm up before you stretch. Walk for 1/4 mile or so and THEN stretch. Stretching cold (I think) makes you more prone to injuries.

Do check your shoes. If possible, go to a store that has a treadmill and they can watch you run and see what the best kind of shoes would be for you. Your arch, pronation, and stride all come into play when picking out the proper shoe.

Hope you can get control over them. Shin splints are not fun.