Menu

Is anyone doing logic-stage science a la WTM recs. next yr.? Did you do it this year?

I'm planning to use Biology for Every Kid and begin with the plant experiments, adding in Creepy Crawlies while we are studying animals and then back to Biology when we study the human body. I've got science divided to roughly 12 weeks on each area.

We are also adding in some of Jim Wiese's Ancient Science to our history activities.

I love the hands on stuff and am planning to put together all my supplies for each section ready in advance. I'm in the process of making the supply list now.

I'm planning to use Biology for Every Kid and begin with the plant experiments, adding in Creepy Crawlies while we are studying animals and then back to Biology when we study the human body. I've got science divided to roughly 12 weeks on each area.

We are also adding in some of Jim Wiese's Ancient Science to our history activities.

I love the hands on stuff and am planning to put together all my supplies for each section ready in advance. I'm in the process of making the supply list now.

You should link these...hint, hint, hint.

My plan right now is to follow the schedule and activities suggested in TWTM - science on Tuesday & Thursdays, one day for experiments and one day for reading, reporting, timeline, etc. But instead of using the specific resources recommended, I think we're going to do Hakim's "Aristotle Leads the Way" and maybe some of Tiner's "Exploring the World of..." books, with the Thames & Kosmos "Milestones in Science" kit for experiments. We're doing the ancients for 6th next year, and I'm going to try to coordinate history and science as much as possible. My kids are not super-science-y, and this seems like it will be a good fit for us.

SBP

Yes, we are!

We started 5th grade science 3 weeks ago. So far it is going very well. I purchesed the old recommendations of science books (How Your Body Works, How Nature Works). We love it so far.

My younger son is doing the Delta Science kits on the Human Body.

Susie

I think your ideas sound terrific *and* fit the spirit of the WTM suggestions, too! We still do science the WTM way, although I seldom use only their specific suggestions. We did biology using these methods this year, and will be doing earth and space science using these methods next year.

Have fun with your study! It sounds great,

My plan right now is to follow the schedule and activities suggested in TWTM - science on Tuesday & Thursdays, one day for experiments and one day for reading, reporting, timeline, etc. But instead of using the specific resources recommended, I think we're going to do Hakim's "Aristotle Leads the Way" and maybe some of Tiner's "Exploring the World of..." books, with the Thames & Kosmos "Milestones in Science" kit for experiments. We're doing the ancients for 6th next year, and I'm going to try to coordinate history and science as much as possible. My kids are not super-science-y, and this seems like it will be a good fit for us.

SBP

I ask because the Tiner chemistry and physics books and RS4KI complement each other extremely well. Tiner is missing the scientific language that RS4K covers so well, and RS4K is a spare, short, packed text that Tiner amplifies and expands on.

The combo would be outstanding for a 6th grader, I think.

I ask because the Tiner chemistry and physics books and RS4KI complement each other extremely well. Tiner is missing the scientific language that RS4K covers so well, and RS4K is a spare, short, packed text that Tiner amplifies and expands on.

The combo would be outstanding for a 6th grader, I think.

We did use Tiner's Chemistry book with RS4K Chemistry this year, and I agree that it made for a wonderful combination :). I'm glad to have a recommendation on the physics texts, though. Thank you!

SBP

Yes, that's one of them :). We used the Chemistry book this year along with RS4K Chemistry, and we really enjoyed it, so I'm eying several of the other titles for next year. The series has books on physics, biology, medicine, biology and mathematics... and there may be a couple more I'm not thinking of right now. I know we'll use the math book (because I already have it on the shelf ;)) but I'm not sure which of the others we'll wind up using.

SBP