Menu

can you tell me how Tapestry of Grace works?

Love2Smile

Does it include LA, Science??

It's hard to tell from the website...

How much does it cost per year?

Carolyn,

Not it does not include LA or Science.

Cost? That is a hard one. The basic package for a year with the bells and whistles is going to run you around $230 if I remember right. The basic yearplan alone is $170. If you have a good library then you can just use what they have there. If not then you can either choose to use spine books, and buy the literature or you can buy individual topic books if you prefer. Of course the more books you buy the more it will cost you.

The yearplan is a 36 week unit study through history. It includes book recommendations, writing assignments, literature worksheets, discussion questions, mapping, timeline work, activities as well as teacher notes for all four levels of learning. This includes Government and Philosophy for the upper levels, and threads of art history, music history, science history and worldview.

The best thing to do is to dive into one of the 3 week samples and try to get a feel for the program.

Heather

thanks! How does it compare to SL? I like the fact you can you it with different ages!

What LA do you think best suits this type of history?

Carolyn,

Both are good programs.

SL uses more historical fiction to make emotional connections to the history. Generally SL is chronological by Civilization, so it has more flow. From what I hear the upper level guides don't have the discussion questions that TOG is known for (logic level, making connections between events, people, ect...). Though some kids may see that on their own.

TOG is a unit study. That means it has a weekly topic that everything revolves around and unit studies by definition have less flow, though other things are easier to deal with, like hands on. Because each week has a topic you generally can move the weeks around to make it either strictly chronological or chronological by civilization. There is some historical fiction listed in the Literature, especially at the UG and D levels, but there are also a lot of biographies, and at the R level a lot of original documents and classics. Generally TOG has everything SL has but more. More mapping, more book choices, more timeline work, more worksheets, more writing. With TOG you HAVE to pick and choose between perfectly good stuff because you can't do it all. The LG level material is chosen to be read aloud by the parent and includes a lot of picture books. The UG and above are chose to be read by the student (even the history). Though I still RA most of it. :D

I would say SL is like renting a fully furnished apartment. You just move in (open and go), but I hope you like the colors they used, and the pictures on the wall. TOG is more like building your own home, where you choose the floor plan, and the builder hands you a catalog of choices to make in customizing your home. You get to have it exactly the way you want it but there is some work involved.

I am the sort of person who tweaks anything I use. Even SL I used to enter into Excel then start adding hands on, separating out books according to which my oldest could handle and which I could read to the younger kids too, then I had to add. :blink: I didn't use SL as an open and go product so TOG just gives me more choices. If you can use SL and open and go then I would encourage you to think twice about using TOG.

Heather

Wow, Siloam! I love the analogy of the houses. That helps me to "get it". :)

Does TOG offer suggestions for spines?

And one more question. If you were to add Winter Promise to your house analogy, how would you describe it in comparison to TOG and SL?

~Jamie

Wow, Siloam! I love the analogy of the houses. That helps me to "get it". :)

Does TOG offer suggestions for spines?

And one more question. If you were to add Winter Promise to your house analogy, how would you describe it in comparison to TOG and SL?

~Jamie

Jamie,

Yes they do. For example year 1 UG level uses Usborne IL World History. SOTW is also listed as an alternate resource. SOTW is not listed as a main choice because it ends up being heavily used on some weeks and not at all on other weeks and one of the goals of the redesign was to keep the work level consistent. I have also seen Foster, Guerber, BJU history texts and History of the US scheduled.

Winter Promise would be exactly like SL, just different color scheme and a different flavor of decorations. :D

Heather