Menu

a REALLY important decision to make...

long hair or short hair????

Currently my hair is pretty long...longer than in my avatar...about to my bra strap in back...and it is not blonde anymore, it is a pretty bright auburn color...geez I really need to update my avatar...anyways. It is really warm and REALLY humid in Malaysia so I am contemplating cutting it short.

Reasons for cutting it short:

- the heat, less hair is cooler

- the humidity, more hair means more frizzy hair

- I've had short hair before and I don't mind it

Reasons for keeping it long

- I like it, it is pretty and feminine

- I can do a lot of different styles with it

Also, and this question may irk some of you but hear me out, short hair is considered more "professional" for women. School administration is still a man's world. This school has never had a female administrator before (I am the first) which is evident in their dress code policy that states principals should wear a shirt and tie. :D

So do I cut my hair short so I am taken more seriously? Does that make me a sell-out? I can wear it up but after doing that for long periods I get a major headache so I will have to wear it down sometimes.

Decisions, decisions.

Hands down keep it long. Put it up in a pony tail or a clip.

I had longer hair and have cut it a little shorter than shoulder length. While I love that it's easier to do (and just as stylish...lol...just writing that word makes me wonder if it's an 80s word), especially after I exercise, I totally miss having it all pulled back into a ponytail and I do miss the look of it being long and down (my hair is wavy, so I can do it on the curly side, straight, or curl it with a curling iron for a smoother wavy look).

If anything, cut a few inches off and call it a day.

JMHO!!!! :)

I don't have any advice, but I'm in the same boat. I almost made an appt. yesterday to go to my shoulder. My hair sounds the exact same length as yours.

I didn't do it, but I think I just didn't want to fit the appt. into my day. I like to put it in a messy bun when I don't have time to fix it. I can pretty much blow dry it - give it a little style & go - it is feminine.....etc.

Uggghhhh - let us know what you decide ;)

Edited by clementine
spelling error

I'd kept it long for now - try the ponytail (if that looks good on you) when you are in Malaysia - I am sure that you can get your hair cut there if you decide that is what you want. Will the humidity and short hair make you look like a fuzzball? (My mom's short hair goes poofy when it is humid....just a thought. you know your hair better than we do).

Well, i'd go short.

How about compromise and go with the length in your not-so-current-avatar?

My SIL has long hair and honestly, when she is here in the humidity..... it takes her FOREVER to get it under control (she straightens it). It doesn't phase her in the heat - they live in Palm Springs, but the humidity makes it go POOF :D

I'd also consider if you would want to chance a shorter cut with someone you haven't been going to also - as in, you get there with long, and decide - it's GOT to go... would you go with a style that you'd want "your person" to cut first?

Gosh i need a haircut.... LOL!

I vote keep in long. You can always cut it short once you're there.

I worked an large regional insurance office eons ago. It was still a man's world then, we had a woman regional manager, but she wore pink suits, had long blonde hair, very feminine. But there was no doubt about who was in charge. I'm sure you have the same tenacity.

Edited by elegantlion

As a woman with short curly hair, I vote for keeping it long. Short hair in humidity can be frizzy, too, which, instead of looking feminine, looks unkempt. At least if it is long, you can put it up to keep it looking neat and professional. You may want to take off a little bit of the length for manageability, but keep it long enough to put up.

I got the best hair cut of my life for $3 (including tip) in Indonesia. I vote for waiting until you get there and cutting it then, but *do* plan on cutting it. Long hair just doesn't fly professionally over there, you're right. However, you could keep it in a French braid most days and be just fine.

I decided that it really didn't look 'healthy'.....I had some split ends...etc. It really didn't do anything for my 'face'.....but make it look longer (I have a long skinny face, LOL). I got mine cut to hit my shoulders....and I LOVE IT. It is layered (it was before)....and looks so healthy!

I think if your hair is in good shape....looks healthy....and you WANT it long....keep it that way! I don't think having longer hair will really matter that much in a humid climate....it didn't to me. I wish I had a couple pictures to show you the difference in my hair.....maybe I will try to dig some up, LOL.

And...I do agree that longer styled hair is more feminine...

I wouldn't cut your hair to please your employer, LOL.

So where are the before and afters of you all who did the cut? LOL!

I say go in increments. Cut to the shoulders, long enough to pull it back. Sometimes it's all you need for a pick me up. On the other hand, do you really want a change? I love short hair! But mine is really thick and the thicker it is, the less it lays right with short hair, unless it's curly. Then it lays just right. I found that I have a lot of cowlicks with short hair, although nothing that didn't get fixed with a curling iron. But I hate working with hair and curling irons. I want to wash and be done, so the curling iron thing was out for me. So can you do that or will you have to spend a bunch of time on it? That's something to consider. I know many women that short hair is easy because they wash it in 2 seconds, then throw some gel in it and they're done. Not me, mine has a mind of it's own. For me it was simpler with long hair and throw in a ponytail.

I just had mine cut in layers because it was so broken off by having it in a ponytail for years and my hairdresser agreed that my hair has a mind of it's own. I can't wait till it grows out. But I wish I was one that could wear that really short cut (like a friend of mine). But mine is too thick.

Long hair you can take a nap :tongue_smilie: and wake up and it looks the same. Short hair, well you may look dorkey in the morning. :tongue_smilie: Just things to consider. I love a big change every now and then and heck it grows out! Do what YOU want, but do show pictures!!!!:lol: You're a beautiful woman by your avatar, so I doubt no matter what you do with it, you'll still look good! Can I hate you for that??:lol::lol:

You're a beautiful woman by your avatar, so I doubt no matter what you do with it, you'll still look good! Can I hate you for that??:lol::lol:

Sure! I've been hated for less. :D

The truth is I don't really want to cut it. Sure, I'll get a trim. The only reason I would cut it is for the "professional" thing. Believe me, having a "pretty" face and curvy figure does NOT do much for me in the professional world...unless I was a professional stripper, I guess. :tongue_smilie:

I can definitely kick a@# and take names with the best of them but I always have to get over this first hurdle and "prove" my intelligence to people as it is generally assumed that I have none. :glare:

Don't cut it then. You can look really professional at shoulder length, just below and even longer. Find out how do do some of those neat hair roll-ish type things with it for work. It's all in the accessories and keeping it out of your face NOT using a simple ponytail. There's some vintage styles on line (can't remember where now) that are really classy. They may even be called modest hairstyles. Google it. I think hair in a do that's classy is much more professional than short hair.

We definitely need a new pic. How else will we accurately imagine you in your new job in your new COUNTRY?

I've had super long hair for a long time and this year went REALLY short. It was a bit of a shock at first, but I'm lovin' it. I recommend you cut your hair a little (at least a good trim) so that you can feel updated and new etc.

So excited for you! Will you continue to pop in on us?

Wait till you get there and see what the wind is like!

When I moved to Hawaii, I thought: Oh, hot and humid, I'm cutting it off. Big mistake. Short hair has no defense against the trade winds... unless it's really, really short.

You can put long hair up and it will look neater than short hair blown all over the place.

So I vote wait until you see what the hair conditions are once you get there. :D

if you want a more professional look, style it to keep it up and away from your face.

(This isn't meant as a political statement, truly - it's the only example I can think of at the moment) I always thought Sarah Palin's hairstyle was both professional and feminine.

Definitely long. If you want a more professional look put it up in a chignon or bun or something. I think it will stay neater in a windy, humid climate long than short and blown-to-death.

Plus I think long hair is beautiful.

And the most compelling reason--you don't really want to cut it. So don't. Wear it with pride--respect will come with the quality of your work, not your hair.

I have curly hair, but it's longer than my avatar now as well--around bra strap length. I like it the avatar length because it's less work (wash and gel). I also don't think I look good with my hair pulled back either, I need something to frame my face. However, my dh likes it longer, so I leave mine longer for now.

Anyway, my ds says (nothing personal to anyone here!) that where he works, men don't like the short, short look on women, it makes them look less feminine to them. I think longer hair done up very nicely would work better, and be more professional looking.

I just wanted to say that I agree that short hair is seen as more professional. I do think you can achieve the same degree of "hair respect" by putting it up ala Sarah Palin.

Personally, I'd go for a cut where I could still put it up for the short term, and then reevaluate once I arrived.