Menu

Teaching Textbooks

What are the strengths and weaknesses of this program? I have one who struggles MIGHTILY and the other needs zero review. Is it 'enough' for a mathy/science child to be prepared for University?

Thank you.

My daughter used it for Algebra 2 and thought it was too easy so asked the authors and they said, "if it is easy, then you are learning, keep at it." Others say it only covers 2/3 of other standard courses. However, she then took college algebra at community college with no problems and is now taking TT geometry at a fast pace (we got behind) lots of logic and some geometry problems but less than Singapore NEM I and II So we may supplement. Singapore has little logic and lots of problems - probably what they need for college exams.

We've used TT the past three years (we've only homeschooled three years) and my oldest just got a 700 on the math portion of the SAT. I'm pleased with it.

I chose it in spite of those that claim it isn't strong enough as many people around here use it and have kids going to University - some in science or math subjects - and none have had any problems. Some have said their kids remembered their math easier than other students. My oldest will be doing Calculus next year and I don't foresee any problems coming up for him (not with TT as they don't do Calc - I've got to figure out who to go with next... possibly Chalkdust).

TT does make things easy for kids to learn. For some kids, it is too easy and they like more of a challenge. If your more gifted math student is in this group, I'd pick something else that fits them better... Some people also say TT doesn't give enough homework problems for their kids. They often print other pages off. Mine haven't ever needed that, but it's always an option if kids do.

Then, as many people state, it changes where certain math subjects are learned. Two people usually state is the the quadratic formula comes in Alg 2 instead of Alg 1 and Matrix math is started in Pre Calc, not Alg 2. We have not found any of this to be a problem... though I will admit I added one more section to the Matrix math (solving systems using inverse matrices) as I feel that should be in there.

I haven't used all of them, but do consider that the earlier TT's are one year behind traditional math. Around here most average math kids do Alg 1 in 8th grade - meaning pre-Alg should be 7th, Math 7 should be 6th, etc, etc. My youngest is finishing 7th grade and pre-Alg now. He did Math 7 last year.

We're very happy with TT as well!

My oldest son has special needs and the fact that TT moves "slowly" helps to ensure that he thoroughly understands what he's doing. The layout of the textbook is another plus. Most high school math textbooks have small print and he had a harder time staying focused.

I agree with the previous poster who mentioned accelerating TT. My 9 year old 4th grader used TT Math 5 this year and will be using TT Math 6 next year in 5th grade. Following this sequence, he'll be using TT Precalculus in 11th grade and that will give him time to take a Calculus course in 12th grade, before he leaves for college. (I'm hoping TT will print one by then! LOL!)

I was ready to sell my 2 curriculums because I thought it was too easy.

I called the people at TT, who are very nice, and she said if you stick with it for the entire course thru highschool it covers everything.

She did say it is NOT an honors course however so keep that in mind.

TT is worth it to me because there is no more crying, yelling, screaming, frustrations over math and my daughter gets it! It's worth it's weight in gold to me!

We really like it. For my younger ones they tested into grades 2 years above where they are but they are learning. My oldest, who loves science, struggles with math and it is speaking to her.

My engineer dh likes it.

I have a friend whose dh is a math professor at a local college and he told his wife they were using it after he saw it at convention (and he is an admitted tightwad.)

Another friend whose dh is an engineer working on medical equipment chose it.

I would stick with it and work your way through. If you child is going to study math at MIT, you may want to use it. And if they finish early, you can go take some concurrent courses at the local college of junior college.

The question I would ask is, what do you want from an Algebra program? If all you want is something to help your nonmathy student get the math needed to go to university, I'd say go with TT. If you want a math program for a mathy child and you really want them to think mathematically and to understand the theory behind it (the why of what you're doing, not just how to do it), then I would steer away from TT, IMO. All we've done, however, is TT 1, of the TT series.

Yes, it is easy. My eldest, who is mathy, though it too easy and that she wasn't learning enough. My eldest is not a highly motivated student, but that doesn't mean TT has absolutely nothing to offer, just not for her.

I haven't used it, but I'm pretty sure that I saw in another post that it is one of the math recs in the new WTM book. I was pretty surprised to see that considering all the negatives I've heard about the program on this board.

Lisa

We have been very happy with TT. My daughter used it for Pre-Algebra this year. Although she said it started out very easy, it has progressed into more challenging problems toward the end of the book. I like the independence TT gives my daughter and the solutions cd is a big help - explaining how to do each problem step-by-step. The only downside I have found is the cost! However, it has been worth every penny to me, not having to worry about teaching upper level math in the future!

My daughter used TT for alg 2 and geometry. She is not headed into a heavy math career (poli sci followed by, most likely, law school). After completing TT she took precalc for dual credit at community college and made a C. We wished for a B but she developed an acute case senioritis and skipped the maximum allowed number of classes and missed a few quizzes because of that. I don't believe TT was to blame for the C, her test and quiz scores tended to be in the B range.