Menu

What's under your swing set?

Well, right now, dead grass and dirt. 9 years ago we put it on nice, thick grass but it's all worn away now. Of course, the last few years have been drought-like here, so that didn't help.

ETA: btw, we just didn't want to mess with sand, rock, mulch, etc. so we chose to just have it on grass. Regardless of what you do, you'll most likely end up having to grow new grass and we didn't want to have to clean out the other stuff first. I guess you could say we chose the lazy way. ;)

Sheri :)

Edited by SLH in ND

We have a LARGE wooden playset --swings are on a 9ft high beam. My girls play rough--especially the teens. 8 inches of pea gravel was recommended by the manufacturers and we are very happy.

No weeds, rocks have stayed 'inside' (we used landscape stacked stones to make the raised bed where the playset is). It drains fast--so it is good to go minutes after a hard rain (or even in the rain for that matter).

Yes, it will be a PAIN if/when it ever needs to be removed--but witnessing the head-dives my girls have already taken has made it worth it.

There are manufacture recommendations and I wouldn't have just grass under any playstructure. I actually wanted this rubber stuff, and thought about getting it...but it was really spendy. SO, we put thicker than we had to of the pea gravel. My husband put it in shovel full by shovel full...from where we had it dumped (the driveway). BUT, we feel it's as safe as possible, He put tie rails around the structure to keep the gravel in the area. (Leave a few inches so the gravel doesn't get kicked over as much)

Carrie:-)

Thick grass. That's what I grew up with. Actually, I grew up with thin grass and lots of sticks from an oak tree and I never got hurt. Even from jumping off the swing millions of times.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: grass and dirt, even a few rocks and sticks.

Wow -- how do you get thick grass to grow there? My husband's in lawn maintenance, and our front is gorgeous, but under the swing set has been hopeless.

Well, it just hasn't been ruined yet! This is our second summer having the swing set, and we haven't worn the grass away yet. If that happens, I might move the swing set to a new location for a year or so, and work on restoring the grass. My girls just aren't that rough on it yet.

We had grass when we built our swing set but if kids are swinging on it much that seems to get gone really fast. My kids occasionally bring a few scoops from the sandbox over there and it really helps to keep things from getting too muddy after it rains.

Don't laugh but we use Astro Turf.

We started with bark...= silvers

Stredded recycled rubber bark...= stunk to high heavens like smelly rubber and then the cats would poop in it so it got even stinkier.

Dirt...= muddy mess

voila... astro turf sheet and three years later still as clean as a whistle and always green :lol: