Menu

So I'm suddenly in the market for a new washer and dryer: mine were stolen today.

They were located outside the door on the side of the house, but covered, gated in and not visible from the street. It really must have been a) a neighbor or b) one of the "mow and blow" yard guys to know it was there, and take it during the 2 hours dh and kids were out of the house.

Anyhow, we're moving in 3 weeks, so looking at the bright side I guess thats a few hundred pounds less on our moving allowance, right?

I haven't even begun to think about buying a new washer and dryer--ours were just a few years old. It was a traditional top loader, not a new fancy one.

Here's what I want: A washer that will hold a BIG load. A dryer that dries everything the first time, even if I forget to empty the lint tray. And fast. As fast as possible. Oh, and cheap. Or cheap-ish.

Advice from those who have recently purchased? Is this something I might be able to get used from Craig's list, or is it too likely to get a lemon?

Sorry.

I got a used washer (from a client of a friend, who was replacing theirs) and it worked for 3 years before it started to leak; the part would have cost over $50 so I said forget it.

That being said, there are other places you may be able to find besides Craigslist; is there any used stuff stores near you that sell such things? I don't think the ones run by Habitat for Humanity normally sell that, mostly building supplies, but check around. I bought one for $75 that ended up not working and they accepted it for return (although installing and uninstalling was not fun).

Shop around. See if any stores have a clearance center. Your eyes may start to glaze over, looking at all the options and dealing with annoying salesmen in tight pants. But stay strong! Ask for discounts!

I did. Filed a police report, called the insurance company (though we have a deductible).

The weird thing is: I'm not sure *I* believe it. I kept walking around the house--like they would reappear or something. They were definately there this morning, because I was outside throwing away junk from my car. It was early, maybe I wouldn't have noticed--but my dh saw them last night. Who steals a washer and dryer? After I got off the phone with my insurance company I was thinking that I'll get a call from the adjuster--"They stole your WHAT?"

:glare: Sheesh - I'm sorry that happened to you. By way of a possible explanation as to why? The demand for scrap metal is way up and consequentially so is metal theft. It's a huge problem globally and connected to illegal drug use especially methamphetamines.

I know this doesn't help, but at least maybe it takes some of the weird out of it.

I have no real advice on brands or anything, but I wanted to share my experience with used washers and dryers. When we got here to England we had to buy everything other than clothes and personal items. We got virtually everything used through the newspaper. The lesson I learned was, don't buy electronics used. The washers, dryers, fridge/freezers just didn't last and weren't worth the money we spent on them. You're better off trying to find a good deal on new - maybe clearance or scratch and dent.

Sorry that happened to you. I can imagine I would be walking around the house waiting for them to reappear too.

I have been having huge problems with my Whirlpool Duet. I LOVE the dryer, but the washer has had major mold problems. Mine is 5 years old. They have now updated the model with a "clean washer" cylce to prevent mold build-up in the lines. I have to leave the door open and take out the detergent drawer when I'm not using it so that black mold does not form. I also have to buy an expensive cleaner and run it through my empty washer once a month. I still have problems if I leave a load in overnight. If you do buy used, beware that someone may be trying to unload this problem on you! :tongue_smilie:

I got mine from Sam's. There are both many years old (12) and still work great. I have had to have the washer repaired once but it was a cheap and the work guy said common problem. They hold large loads and the dryer works great. I believe they are GE but I will check later for you.

I have been having huge problems with my Whirlpool Duet. I LOVE the dryer, but the washer has had major mold problems. Mine is 5 years old. They have now updated the model with a "clean washer" cylce to prevent mold build-up in the lines. I have to leave the door open and take out the detergent drawer when I'm not using it so that black mold does not form. I also have to buy an expensive cleaner and run it through my empty washer once a month. I still have problems if I leave a load in overnight. If you do buy used, beware that someone may be trying to unload this problem on you! :tongue_smilie:

We have a whirlpool duet and I love them. We've had ours about 5 years as well and never had a problem with mold. We do leave the door open and even if we're not ready to change a load we open the door.

You can stuff a king sized comforter in them, I love that.

I am so sorry to hear about your theft, that is amazing! Are you selling your home? Has anyone toured it recently that would know where they were?

My dryer finally quit at the beginning of last week, so we bought a new set. We got Samsung front loaders from Best Buy. My dh spent a lot of time shopping around, comparing features, price, etc. and that is what he felt was the best for the money.

So far, I love them! The dryer is SO much faster than my old one. My old set was 14 years old, so I feel like I've entered the modern world.

My dryer had broken. I found a complete set for $75 on craigslist and then ended up keeping the dryer and selling just the washer for $75. What a deal! I love craigslist just keep looking until you find one listed by someone moving, etc. :-)

I wish someone would steal mine. I hate them. GE Whirlpool. Don't buy a narrow, deep washer and don't buy a dryer with a top lint filter. I loved my Maytags. The washer was wide and big so nothing got stuck and it had a nice gentle agitator for delicates. My Whirlpool only has a soak for gentle clothes. Yuck. The Maytag dryer had something so my sheets didn't end up in a ball. But my sheets always clunk in a ball with this GE Whirlpool. Please come steal mine.

That was sort of what I was afraid of with used appliances. That they will already have serious problems, even though everyone seems to be selling them only because "we have to move suddenly, and the new place doesn't have a laundry room/comes with a washer and dryer already". Has anyone had good luck with used?

That was sort of what I was afraid of with used appliances. That they will already have serious problems, even though everyone seems to be selling them only because "we have to move suddenly, and the new place doesn't have a laundry room/comes with a washer and dryer already". Has anyone had good luck with used?

Our good luck with used has only come from estate sales... someone either moving into a retirement home or who had passed away - yet took good care of their things.

I cannot believe that someone stole that big of an item in broad daylight. Unbelievable.

I am going to hide the cat.

I don't know about cats, but I have heard that some full breed dogs are being stolen out of the backyards in Florida. It made me worry about leaving our little yorkie at my mom's because she has a chainlink fence. We have a privacy fence, so I don't worry quite as much.

Kay, it's just insane that someone stole your washer and dryer. It's like you warped into an alternative reality or something. So bizarre.

I like my GE front loading washer, but honestly, I'm not sure I will get another front loader. The stinkiness has been a problem, although I think it's better than my old Kenmore was. I used to love Kenmore, but my front loading Kenmore washer was only about 5 years old when it started having serious problems. The first visit from the repair man was useless, and I was unwilling to call him back for another visit. We were getting ready to go on vacation and I really needed to do laundry, so we ended up getting a new one, hence the GE.

I've been very happy with my Kenmore dryer, but it doesn't get things dry on the first time - I think the GE hold more laundry than the Kenmore washer did, so I haven't quite figured out that system yet. I think if you get matching ones, they are made to work together - the dryer should dry the load from it's washer partner.

No. There's something about moving appliances that makes used work before, but not after. But I suppose it would be cheaper to fix, but it's a hassle.

I'd go scratch and dent or new. JMO.

My dryer finally quit at the beginning of last week, so we bought a new set. We got Samsung front loaders from Best Buy. My dh spent a lot of time shopping around, comparing features, price, etc. and that is what he felt was the best for the money.

So far, I love them! The dryer is SO much faster than my old one. My old set was 14 years old, so I feel like I've entered the modern world.

Hate my Samsung washer. Dryer is pretty cool. It does dry stuff fast. I won't go Samsung again. Maybe LG.

I have. Got one for free, and it died after 3 years. (Well, actually, it didn't die, but I didn't feel like paying $50+ for the broken part.)

We bought a set of LG steam last year. The steam version I wouldn't buy again. I think its a scam. However love love love the LG! The washer is great and the dryer is fast! We need another set upstairs for our second laundry room and I will buy LG again.

They were located outside the door on the side of the house, but covered, gated in and not visible from the street. It really must have been a) a neighbor or b) one of the "mow and blow" yard guys to know it was there, and take it during the 2 hours dh and kids were out of the house.

Advice from those who have recently purchased? Is this something I might be able to get used from Craig's list, or is it too likely to get a lemon?

Unbelievable, the nerve of some people! These things take some time to move. Have you checked if a neighbor observed something?

I like the Whirlpool Front Loader and the Dryer that goes along with it. My requirements concerning Dryers are minimal since I love to hang up my laundry and live in CA. The washer does its job and uses less water than a top loader and supposedly the clothes are less "stressed" during the cycles.

Oh my goodness! How crazy is that?! I'm sorry. No advice for you on replacing them. I need to get a new set pretty soon. I'm thinking of going with a top loader, only because it supposedly uses less water, and I'd like to keep our water bill low. And with the drought in CA, I guess every little bit of saving helps.

Has anyone had good luck with used?

<whispers quietly so my dryer can't hear>

We bought our dryer from a used appliance shop 12 years ago and it's still working.

Look into some of the regulation changes on washers. I think there was a law that came into effect a couple of years ago that mandated less water use, and so some of the new washers under that law don't clean well enough. Consumer Reports ought to have written up something about that. If that's a concern, looking for something used, built before the law change, would be better. Just shop carefully, and maybe try to buy from someone who has to move from a house to an apartment or something. Craigslist is wonderful. I feel better about buying used things from private parties; they are less likely to try to scam you.

Oh my. :( I am sorry that happened.

Lowes has some great prices on Washers/dryers. When we were hurting for cash, we bought a Roper washer and dryer for about $500 total. Nothing fancy...the normal stuff. And they worked great for the 3 years we had them (we sold them and bought nice ones when we built this house).

You must feel so betrayed. It's worse when it's a neighbor, I think.

We had a neighborhood watch meeting years ago, and the police officer told a not-really-all-that-funny story about attending another one during which one of the guests realized that the host had some stolen property FROM HIS HOUSE in his possession, just out on the shelf.

I have had good luck with used dryers, but very bad luck with used washers. Washers are just plain more complicated than dryers.

We bought a new washer about 8 years ago, a heavy duty one from Sears, and have been quite happy with it for the most part. However, to save money it doesn't have an automatic out of balance trip switch, so if it goes out of balance it just keeps on going. That means that I am reluctant to turn it on if I'm going to leave the house, unless the load is a very stable one--a lot of really little items or something like that.

We recently bought a Fisher and Paykel top-loading dryer at the scratch and dent. I. LOVE. IT. It's so much easier on my back (I'm tall, and the front loaders always see loooow), and it works like a champ.

And I've got the washer and we love it as well. The washer spins the clothes so dry that the dryer doesn't have much left to do. We had to replace my old washer about 5 years ago. I thought the dryer would soon follow, but because of the reduced load it's still going strong at 23 years.

Highly recommend the Fisher & Paykel washer.

Those. Freaks.:001_huh: That is just so wrong on so many levels. Seriously.

We love our LG Tromm machines. (Nice to know about the steam thing, that came out about a year after we got ours and I've had "steam envy" here and there, though if I'm honest, I have no use for such a feature) I'm short enough so we didn't bother getting the pedestals. They clean well, dry well (though I line dry in summer), make pleasant noises when you turn them on... :D

Musty smells are a concern with front loaders because the door seals. You do need to leave it open for a while after using the machine. That applies to all of them, as far as I can tell. And dryers will drop in efficiency if you don't clean the lint filter, though mine does take several loads (as evidenced by the different colored lint layers when I notice the drying is not going so well).

I would totally find a "scratch & dent" center. Used appliances that have a lot of moving parts would concern me.

I don't think anyone has posted that if you buy a new energy efficient appliance this weekend it is tax free. I'm not sure if this is just Home Depot or all stores. I bought a new washer this time last year from Home Depot and I saw the same advertisement but I can't remember the details. We got an LG front loader and the loads it can fit are huge. I can wash my king size comforter. The clothes are spun so well that the drying cycles with my old dryer are shorter as it has a censor and stops when the clothes are dry. I'm happy that I have fewer loads of laundry overall and can wash all my comforters/blankets with ease. I'm so sorry about the theft. That's terrible!