Menu

For those who like Foerster Algebra I...

...no. My problem is not with the text, but with my own mathematical limitations. Foerster's Algebra and Trig covers some very difficult high school math and does it thoroughly and with clarity. It just brushed up against some thin places in my own mastery of math, and that made it a bit painful.

Ladies, have any of you used Math Without Borders DVDs with Foerster's Algebra II text? If you have, was it helpful especially in doing the word problems? I am wondering if I should go ahead and get a tutor. There is a lady willing to tutor who is 30 min. away from where we live or try to do it on our own using the DVDs. I'd like to hear how those of you who used the DVDs found the course.

I used the (circa 1980) Alg II/Trig book with my oldest and liked it.

Since then, many threads here have mentioned that Foerster himself says the Alg II part is fine, but you really should do the pre-calc book instead of the trig part of the Alg II/Trig book. I have the pre-calc book now, and it is definitely lots more than the few chapters of trig in the old book.

The next two will be doing the pre-calc book for their trig. The pre-calc book is newer and you can get a solution book for it:

http://www.keypress.com/x4655.xml

We liked the Alg 2/ Trig text, but my dh could tutor ds in it, otherwise it would have been unworkable. Ds went on to Foerster's calculus, which is really an excellent text--again dh worked with ds (beyond my scope). Ds was very well prepared for college calc.

Mary