Menu

Someone has withdrawn money from our account!

Sigh.

Today I checked our bank balance on line and saw two huge withdrawals that weren't ours. I called the bank and they used my husband's ATM card number to get at the money.

We have cancelled his card. Anything else we should do? We have 3 other accounts at the same bank and although the debit card does not link to them I am afraid the crooks will find a way to access them.

Any advice?

I would go in and talk to someone at your bank. They should help you with this. Get the process going to get to the bottom of this. You may also want to notify the police about what happened.

Both should help you to know what the next step should be.

Hope this gets resolved soon.

Holly

I just went through this a few weeks ago. You need to go to the bank and close the accounts and open new ones. The bank manager "Should" help you, but if you get a flake like I did go to another branch and get with the Regional Manger. File a police report...ASAP! You will need the police report to extend the fraud alerts at the credit reporting agency where you should, right now, go and active them...it's free. It's good for 90 days and with the police report it will be there for 7 years. This would help you if there is any identity theft further on down the road that you have to prove.

Do you know how your DH info was obtained? Did he lose his card?

So sorry, this happened to you. It took us a few days to get our money back. Someone created a bogus check that the teller was stupid enough to cash...the bank thinks they are in on it and are investigating.

Everyone should be checking their accounts on a regular basis. I spent everyday but one that week at the bank and there was only one day that someone else was not dealing with a forged check or a bogus check of some kind. I asked them how often does this happen and they said it was probably weekly before the economy went south, but now it is a daily occurrence.

I felt so sorry for the older lady who had deposited and spent what she thought was a check from the treasury department for $400 dollars. She was asking the bank if she could make payments, and they said yes, but that everyday it was not paid back she would be charged a hot check fee!!!! Outrageous!!!

Edited by KayT

Do you know how this happened? Was it a debit card or an ATM only card? What time of the day and where did it happen? Because an ATM card can only be used with the actual card and a PIN number. If this happened then you have a serious problem. That either means you husband lost his card or someone made a fake one on a blank ATM card (this means professionals) and somehow stole his number. If on the other hand, it was a debit card then someone could have written down the number or made a carbon of it and then used a signature instead of a PIN number. This would make it more likely to have been done by an individual than a ring. Although I have no idea how they could have made a cash withdrawl like this. If you dh has not lost his card or even misplaced or left it in an unsecure location for a short period of time then that makes it much more likely that you are dealing with professionals which would cause you more problems. One more possibility that you need to consider is if there any friends or relatives that had access to the card and PIN number. PP has told you all of the correct steps to take. Sorry you are going through this.

I'm sorry! I went through this last year. Apparently a store I had shopped at had it's records 'hacked' into, and all the debit and credit numbers used there were stolen. Thankfully I was being extra attentive to our online statement and saw the strange charge. It was for a small amount, but the bank said criminals usually start small to see if it works, then go in for more. I had to close the account completely and open a new one...huge pain but worth it. Now I look at my online statement 3-4 times a week to be sure. If you get an unhelpful banker, tell them you will just close the account and go down the street. :D

Thanks for all the responses!

I think they used his number only as he still has his card. It also looks like they did it from a foreign location. The withdrawals are showing up as transfers, not ATM withdrawals, so I think they were doing it online perhaps?

I plan to go through the statements a little closer to see if there is anything else amiss.

Arrrrggghhh!!!

I'm hearing more and more stories about this. It makes me want to get rid of our ATM cards. I already told DH to stop using his out and about. He was using it on a daily basis, everywhere he shopped. I feel like that's just asking for trouble these days. I'm sorry that any of you have had to go through this!