Menu

What grammar, writing and spelling program do you all suggest?

dcsabd

I have two boys 10 & 12. Last year we did LLATL I really liked it for older daughter, who loves to write and read. My 10 yr old son loves to read but struggles with writing and my 12 yr old struggles with both. I am looking at Growing with Grammar but am not sure about writing and spelling. For reading I would like to get Liturature guides for what ever books they would like to read. It would also be nice if I could use the same program until HS. Thanks!

Cora

We require a lot of writing in conjunction with Literature, Science and Social Studies. They frequently use MS Word, and we annotate their errors and expect the kids to correct them. We make a note of Spelling errors and challenging vocabulary, and give each child a Spelling list based on their personal needs.

We sometime use "mad libs" for fun, and we use Workbooks such as The Language Mechanic by M. A. Hockett to address Grammar problem areas.

We have observed that the greatest aid to Grammar, Composition, Spelling and Vocabulary has been Reading. For this reason, we have each child read Literature, Biographies, History and Science for the first full hour of each home schooling day. Both kids tend to retire for bed with books.

Copywork and modeling have both proven to be modestly helpful in improving the children's Grammar.

The kids both have atrocious handwriting. The poor dears enherited this from Hubby and I. Both kids do copywork. We choose selections from classical Literature or facts from Geography, Science and History that they will be tested on soon. We are careful to make sure selections model good Grammar and Spelling.

I write their instructions for each school day in full sentences, with meticulous attention to my own Grammar and Spelling.

I've used it since my oldest was in 3rd, and he's just finishing 6th. Every year I'm more convinced of how good it is. It covers the same things every year, but every time it circles back it goes deeper and deeper. Brilliant.

I also agree that narration, copywork, dictation, and outlining are the most efficient means to improve writing. They seem deceptively simple, to the point that I often didn't think I was doing enough (and I still have attacks of doubt). But it builds a solid foundation without burning the dc (and mom) out.

ETA: Megawords has also done wonders for my struggling speller.

Edited by Staci in MO
Added my recommendation for Megawords.

We use Rod and Staff English for grammar and some writing, Spelling Wisdom or Rod and Staff spelling depending on the kid, and will be adding Classical Writing in this year (setting it aside for a R&S writing week).

I liked A Beka for solid grammar for at least 2 years throughout school (4-12th) and Easy Grammar for a couple of years. For my 7th grader I did 6th grade A Beka after a few years of Easy Grammar. Seems to be a good mix.

For spelling I always liked Spelling Workout after trying many programs. This has meaningful exercises to help learn the words, then in middle school I liked Voc from the Roots Up because words are grouped by their roots.

And write, write, write to make it all come alive.