Menu

Mood and Weather: In a past life, I was a sun worshipping Egyptian

Ok. 5th day of sun *in a row* here.

I can't tell you how nice I am, how much I love my family, how wonderful the world is.

I absolutely can not LIVE without sunshine.

And the barometric pressure of all day cloudy days for weeks must really do something to my brain. REALLY. It's scarry.

This is ridiculous!!!

I will never survive Tennessee life without the sun.

Skin cancer be dammed.

Anyone else feel this way?

Or the opposite and you do better with rain and clouds?

I get very grumpy in response to the weather. Unfortunately, I hate rain, hate humidity and hate being hot. Cloudy and humid days make me depressed. Even if I don't go anywhere on a sunny day, the sun makes me happier.

So, though I love sunny days, I do not like hot days. And though I love sunny days, I burn very easily.

ugh

I want to live somewhere when it only rains at night (but then that can cause fungus in fescue grass), is always between 50 and 75 degrees, is never humid (unless it is night and raining), and often has a slight breeze. Oh, and no mosquitoes.

When I lived in the Chicago suburbs I was an absolute bear from November to April as it seemed like the sun went on a sabbatical for those months.

Grey skies all the time.

Winter is so much more pleasant in Ga. for me.:001_smile:

I am the same way. All winter I am somewhat depressed and grumpy. Cold weather and gloominess does that to me. Then in spring, I feel happier and more balanced.

Now we have had several days of rain and there are going to be several more, apparently.:glare: The gloomy skies, clouds,and wet, muddy ground are driving me nuts. I keep looking outside for any hint of sunshine.

My midwife commented on my energy and disposition at my last appointment. Up until then, she had only seen my depressed winter self. I think she was worried about my mental health, especially since I've had trouble inn past.

Sun person here too. Well, I stay out of it a lot because of past skin cancer (non-malignant, though) but I enjoy the sun from inside my house. :001_smile:

I can be grumbling along, wondering why everything in the world is so horrible, and suddlenly the sun will come out, and I'll realize that it was weather related, again.

It doesn't seem to be a winter/summer thing to me, although we do have more cloudy days here in winter - we have plenty in summer too. I can be happy as a clam in winter if the sun has been out. I'll add a caveat to all this - if there is a good storm, either snow or rain, I feel pretty jazzed. But just plain old boring cloudy? UGH.

I only like sunny days if it's in the 70's and there's a cool breeze. It's in the upper 80's here and I go outside for a few minutes and come inside a crispy critter.

I love a good storm, and rainydays inside curled up with a book are some of my favorite. Give me a cool crisp, overcast, gray fall day and I'm happy.

I really truly think that living in Florida creates a real need for sun. We moved to NorCal at the beginning if the winter and I was severely effected by the endless weeks of no sun. This week, Florida has had constant rain and I've noticed a lot if status updates (facebook) from friends there who are feeling really lethargic. The only thing that keeps me going in the winter is the promise of an amazing summer. I do miss Florida.

I am a much more pleasant person when sun is around. :) I throw open my blinds first thing in the morning to get my energy started and when it's cloudy, I just want to go back to bed. Of course I can't so I'm fight the grouch all day long. Sun is my friend.:D

Solar powered here, too! I love sunny days, don't mind the heat, and want to curl up when the clouds appear.

Seasonal depression is a fact of life for me.

You can do what you have to, though. We lived in cloudy, rainy Brussels for a couple of years. I got outside every day for a walk, even in the rain. If the sun popped out, I dropped everything to get outside. The curtains were never drawn...and we kept a lot of bright lamps on.

After our first year there, we drove to the south of France and I felt like a flower unfolding in the warm, yellow sun. No wonder Van Gogh was happy when he arrived in that area.

Heading out to recharge my solar batteries. ;)

I'm a sun person. I don't even mind grueling heat (and we spent two years living in Death Valley). The gloom in the winter of Germany almost killed me. We traveled every March because that was when I would tell my husband he HAD to get me out of there!!!

I NEED the sun too, always thought it was because I grew up in FL, but now I realize that we all need it.

Vitamin D is SO important for our health! And we really can only get this from the sun. They are actually starting to say that skin cancer is less from the sun and more from other things. That the sun (in healthy doses) can actually help prevent cancer.

So go outside and soak up some healthy sunshine and vitamin D! :001_smile:

I can't tell you how nice I am, how much I love my family, how wonderful the world is.

And the barometric pressure of all day cloudy days for weeks must really do something to my brain. REALLY. It's scarry.

This is ridiculous!!!

Skin cancer be dammed.

I am exactly the same way. Yet another reason that I can't WAIT to get out of Michigan. I never want to see another 6 month long, gray, frigid winter again. Ever.

Try taking 1000 IU vitamin d per 25-30 lbs body weight per day and see if that helps. consider testing D levels to see how deficient you are. taking more D and working towards optimal D levels has done wonders for my mood.

vitamindcouncil.org

Katherine

Amen on the droopy mood during rainy periods. We've had 2-3 weeks of rain here in AR recently. Thankfully, we've been blessed with 4 days to dry out and cheer up. They're forecasting another week of rain ahead though, so I guess I'll be in the doldrums again. :001_smile:

My midwife commented on my energy and disposition at my last appointment. Up until then, she had only seen my depressed winter self. I think she was worried about my mental health, especially since I've had trouble inn past.

I see your baby will be born in the summer.

Mine was born last August and I am so glad it was not in the winter.

We had to get sun on his skin twice a day minimum for his jaundice.

Worked like a charm.

Plus cute little naked butts outside are adorable.

I'll add a caveat to all this - if there is a good storm, either snow or rain, I feel pretty jazzed. But just plain old boring cloudy? UGH.

Same here - a GOOD storm is awesome.

Bring on the thunder and lighting.

All week long drizzle makes me nuts.

I NEED the sun too, always thought it was because I grew up in FL, but now I realize that we all need it.

Vitamin D is SO important for our health! And we really can only get this from the sun. They are actually starting to say that skin cancer is less from the sun and more from other things. That the sun (in healthy doses) can actually help prevent cancer.

So go outside and soak up some healthy sunshine and vitamin D! :001_smile:

The sun cures more cancer than it causes.

And don't wash off the oils from your skin because you need to let it all soak in for the vitamin D to be absorbed.

This is ridiculous!!!

Skin cancer be dammed.

Karen,

I felt the same way when I lived in SC from February to May one year. It was cold, dreary, and rainy - and I LONGED to be in Florida where I knew the weather was just gorgeous during those months! To this day I have absolutely no desire to live in SC and I really, really, do not like it!!

I really feel for you . . .

When I lived in the Chicago suburbs I was an absolute bear from November to April as it seemed like the sun went on a sabbatical for those months.

Grey skies all the time.

Winter is so much more pleasant in Ga. for me.:001_smile:

I guess I should be thankful that DH was passed up on a possible job opportunity in Chicago last week.

I'm loving the Georgia winters as well - I think there are plenty of sunny winter days here even if it is cold.