Menu

Can you compare LLATL with Total Lang. Plus?

Love2Smile

I love and use both programs, so I feel qualified to answer this question. Progeny press has very thorough study guides, complete with vocabulary exercises, comprehension questions, Christian character examinations, and digging deeper into the lessons learned in a given novel. At the high school level, 4 Progeny Press books/guides is equivalent to a high school credit.

Total Language Plus has that plus more. It includes spelling, vocabulary, grammar, and even some writing! If you use 4 of their guides in one year, it is also considered a complete English course.

I use both from time to time for a little variety, and I integrate the books into my history program. This coming year my plan is to use The Bronze Bow and Adam of the Road. I hope this helps!

I love and use both programs, so I feel qualified to answer this question. Progeny Press has very thorough study guides, complete with vocabulary exercises, comprehension questions, Christian character examinations, and digging deeper into the lessons learned in a given novel. At the high school level, 4 Progeny Press books/guides is equivalent to a high school credit.

Total Language Plus has that plus more. It includes spelling, vocabulary, grammar, and even some writing! If you use 4 of their guides in one year, it is also considered a complete English course.

I use both from time to time for a little variety, and I integrate the books into my history program. This coming year my plan is to use The Bronze Bow and Adam of the Road. I hope this helps!

I love and use both programs, so I feel qualified to answer this question. Progeny Press has very thorough study guides, complete with vocabulary exercises, comprehension questions, Christian character examinations, and digging deeper into the lessons learned in a given novel. At the high school level, 4 Progeny Press books/guides is equivalent to a high school credit.

Do you know how many guides or books read would equal a highschool credit for english as well?

We use LLATL and I have the TLP guide for Johnny Tremain (middle & upper grade).

I decided to stick with LLATL because TLP spends 7 weeks on 1 book. That would make my DD nuts to spend that long on a book. TLP does include wonderful exercises. Each Unit includes the following:

Reading Worksheet (comprehension and narrative questions)

Daily Oral Language (dictation)

Vocabulary Worksheet

Spelling Worksheet

Critical Thinking Projects

The worksheets are extensive enough to spend 1 week on each unit, but I suppose if we wanted to spend less than 7 weeks we could skip or consolidate some worksheets.

LLATL spends about 2-3 weeks on each book and most of the LLATL guides cover about 4 books during the year. The other weeks are spent on units for grammar, library skills, writing, poetry, research, etc... In the Green book my DD and I LOVED the poetry unit and the Shakespeare unit the most, but the whole book has made it a fun year. Each lit unit provides background info about the author and is more of lesson format rather than just worksheets. It encourages dialogue between the student & parent, though they can be completed independently. I usually start the weekly lesson by discussing it with my DD and then she finishes on her own. I think $25 for an LLATL guide is worth it for the multiple literature studies alone.

My 2 cents,

We use LLATL and I have the TLP guide for Johnny Tremain (middle & upper grade).

I decided to stick with LLATL because TLP spends 7 weeks on 1 book. That would make my DD nuts to spend that long on a book. TLP does include wonderful exercises. Each Unit includes the following:

Reading Worksheet (comprehension and narrative questions)

Daily Oral Language (dictation)

Vocabulary Worksheet

Spelling Worksheet

Critical Thinking Projects

The worksheets are extensive enough to spend 1 week on each unit, but I suppose if we wanted to spend less than 7 weeks we could skip or consolidate some worksheets.

LLATL spends about 2-3 weeks on each book and most of the LLATL guides cover about 4 books during the year. The other weeks are spent on units for grammar, library skills, writing, poetry, research, etc... In the Green book my DD and I LOVED the poetry unit and the Shakespeare unit the most, but the whole book has made it a fun year. Each lit unit provides background info about the author and is more of lesson format rather than just worksheets. It encourages dialogue between the student & parent, though they can be completed independently. I usually start the weekly lesson by discussing it with my DD and then she finishes on her own. I think $25 for an LLATL guide is worth it for the multiple literature studies alone.

My 2 cents,

Thanks...I think we will go with LLATL...cheaper and I agree, spending 7 weeks on one book is a long time. I will however have my 9th grader read the books entirely...

Another thing, to order TLP you have to go thru a rep. I have tried to get in touch with mine and she has not returned my phone calls...forget it!

LLATL drove my kids nuts. It seemed to skip around as far as difficulty level. Some exercises would be very easy and the next seemed on grade level. They also used bits and pieces of some books that were not to be read as a whole. When they did read a book, we seemed to stop all the exercises and just read the book. When I switched to TLP, I had no more complaints.

LLATL drove my kids nuts. It seemed to skip around as far as difficulty level. Some exercises would be very easy and the next seemed on grade level. They also used bits and pieces of some books that were not to be read as a whole. When they did read a book, we seemed to stop all the exercises and just read the book. When I switched to TLP, I had no more complaints.

I always thought the little passages from other books were a way to excite interest in reading the whole thing. hehe I bought the entire series of Little House on the Prairie after the sections that we read from in LLATL. :) I'm glad I did too. I loved the books so much. hehe

The first year I did LLATL I was confused by the format with the books too, but what I finally figured out just this year, was to start the book reading and do the other sections that have nothing to do with it while we are reading and when the book is finished to go back and do the sections based on just the book. I hope I'm making sense here. It worked well for us. :)