Menu

Alternatives to Biblioplan?

gamommy

We've just completed BP Ancients with a 5th and 1st grader (one a very strong reader, one who's not at all). We had chosen BP for the following reasons:

uses SOTW and MOH as spines

integrates literature

provides some map and timeline components

quite affordable

While BP certainly did all of these things I felt that we missed the best parts of both individual programs (SOTW and MOH) by studying regionally and not chronologically. I found the pace hectic and am dreading doing it all again next year.

Can the hive help? Is there a better alternative for us as we plan year 2 of the cycle next year? I really do think that using just MOH would've been over my 1st graders head and that using just SOTW would not have been enough for my 5th grader.

I'm looking for something that includes a good deal of literature and that is well laid out. I've also got a toddler and an older student who will be studying the modern period. I feel s-t-r-e-t-c-h-ed as it is.

Should I be looking in a totally new direction?

TIA!

We've just completed BP Ancients with a 5th and 1st grader (one a very strong reader, one who's not at all). We had chosen BP for the following reasons:

uses SOTW and MOH as spines

integrates literature

provides some map and timeline components

quite affordable

While BP certainly did all of these things I felt that we missed the best parts of both individual programs (SOTW and MOH) by studying regionally and not chronologically. I found the pace hectic and am dreading doing it all again next year.

Can the hive help? Is there a better alternative for us as we plan year 2 of the cycle next year? I really do think that using just MOH would've been over my 1st graders head and that using just SOTW would not have been enough for my 5th grader.

I'm looking for something that includes a good deal of literature and that is well laid out. I've also got a toddler and an older student who will be studying the modern period. I feel s-t-r-e-t-c-h-ed as it is.

Should I be looking in a totally new direction?

TIA!

When my dc was in 6th grade I used Truthquest Middle Ages. (He wanted to ONLY do Middle Ages for an entire year, so I agreed) It would be easy to do both TQ MA and Renaissance & Reformation in one year.

While you have to put together your own schedule (I think I still have the one I made) they do use SOTW and several other spines for older kids, such as Guerber's Story of the Middle Ages and Story of Renaissance & Reformation. They also provide tons of literature suggestions for all ages.

It would be easy to use SOTW for your younger student, Guerber for your older student, SOTW Activity Guide maps and projects for both of them, TQ guide for literature more suitable for your older student.

TQ provides commentary that I used for discussions with my 6th grader.

We had a good time that year.

It is a little work, but you can put together exactly what you want.

(Guerber books can be found at Nothing New Press.)

RhondaM.

Wow, what a beautiful solution! I was just looking ahead yesterday and wishing that Biblioplan could have included correlated readings in the Guerber books in the "optional reading" reading section where they provide the MOH schedule so that Biblioplan would be more adaptable for older kids, too. I didn't think to look at Truthquest.